Synrgic Dreambook W7

myzter

Apr 3, 2011
referring to the transformer actually.. meMo is cool device..
I still very much like the Dreambook W7 for its alot more compact and 0.5lbs lighter..
honeycomb is a long ways away.. Charbax on youtube just vlogged both electronic shows down in Beijing and vendors dont have access to 3.0 - then a BIG IF Synrgic supports it.
By the way.. A9 dual core tablets are next month.. with a couple with the 1024x600 resolution in the low $300 range..Synrgic has told me W7 is slated to drop its price to compete because they know all of this...

pjpeter

Apr 20, 2011
Whoa cool - ya I knew this one lacked dual core - but those are 7" models getting it? Hmm, it would really suck if they were to drop support and drop the line because of competition and not being able to make a high enough profit per unit because of the competition. Good for us to get one cheap, but if no support it's not going to last all that long.

Great thing about the Memo remote is that I could see myself using it when biking definitely - reliably control the phone/music and so on from my pocket while the tablet is in my backpack - other times I'd take it out and use it when driving or stationary. One thing the Memo lacks that the DB W7 has is FM Radio... I know it wouldn't be a big deal if I had a data plan, but I don't quite have one yet - ah so much to consider.

myzter

Apr 3, 2011
you are in the almost the same bike lane as me.. I was planning to use the W7 and mount it on the handle bars for navigation and bluetooth communications.. DB W7 still has issues with this.. and makes me more than a little hesitant.. My down payment for a DB W7 is on hold because the company has not shipped it yet.. and it has been a week. I have this morning discussed canceling the order..
I have been searching and waiting for ages to acquire such as device... now that they are affordable... times are moving too dang fast..

pjpeter

Apr 20, 2011
I hear you - I actually have two mounts on my handlebars - one for my dedicated GPS (with speed and nav display) the other I use for my phone/MP3 player. I'd been using one for a couple of months, holding my 3" Xperia X1 Phone and 3.5" A696 GPS at various times with no problems, so I picked up another in the off season and installed it too. Thing is, a few weeks back one of the holders on the mounts loosened ever so slightly (maybe after I hit a bump - I didn't realize it had happened until later) and it eventually allowed my GPS to fall to the ground. I managed to find where the MicroSD had popped out, pick it and the GPS up and keep on going with only a couple of scratch on the GPS body. I tightened the screws and everything I could (I found the mount itself would sometimes tilt downwards some and this I fixed), but the very next day though, it happened again and this time two cars ran it over before I could get to it. It was only a $39 Windows CE 5 refurb GPS I'd setup running iGO8 - and I'd bought a couple of spares so I didn't really care too much.. however, with how big and heavy even a 7" Device would be - I'd need to secure it really well and I don't think with my experience I'd be willing to mount it quite yet - not unless I could find a 100% perfect and secure mount and holder - just not worth the risk unfortunately. In the car though, for sure I'd have this on my dash :).

Last edited:

pjpeter

Apr 20, 2011
Ahhh - watching this vid:
- it clearly shows the ASUS MeMo has an FM Radio app in the demo unit - ahhh ASUS! lol, got my hopes up for a minute - they never said it doesn't have, but I know seeing it now means nothing since it might just be something not removed in the demo unit. Plus it may not output to the bluetooth remote (Memic). Heck I don't even know if the Memic even has a headphone port (I sure hope so - and watching the vid I'm pretty sure it does).

But ya, I wonder if they might come out with a dual core version of the Dreambook W7 - either way though, I hope they'll support the model, not just for a few weeks now when it's just coming to market - but over the longer term...

I'd never even heard of the brand before 2 days ago - not sure, but does it have a good rep, has it been around long? It's website has been down ever since I first heard of it...

Peter

P.S. Tried to not make the video come up since it's not Dreambook W7 specific - but it keeps changing it to show when I set it not to.

Last edited by a moderator:

emmert_m

Mar 30, 2011
Synrgic site is back up. here's the link you requested:

7 inch eBook Reader Case Eken M001 Case Tablet PC Case | eBay
this is the case i bought. it fits but you have to cut some of the inside away to fully display the screen, as well as some for the buttons on the side. But, if your'e wanting to put it in your pocket, the pocket and stand protruding from the case may be cumbersome. I usually slip it out of the case anyway if i'm gonna use it very long.. Oh and yes it fits completely inside my front jeans pocket without the case.

emmert_m

Mar 30, 2011
ok whats the trick to get this to update? I followed the instructions step by step like in the manual but when it it verifies the it says the file doesn't exist. The manual isn't clear as to where your'e supposed to copy the v20.rar file to. i tried with the file by itelf amongst the folders, and also in the dcim folder, but no luck. What's the trick? Do i have to buy an sd card to copy the file onto on the device?

pjpeter

Apr 20, 2011
Are you extracting the rar file? Usually they do not use the compressed archive for updates - though who am I to say, I don't have the tablet to confirm. Hopefully someone can soon.

Thanks for the info on cases :)

gfz

Apr 22, 2011
ok whats the trick to get this to update? I followed the instructions step by step like in the manual but when it it verifies the it says the file doesn't exist. The manual isn't clear as to where your'e supposed to copy the v20.rar file to. i tried with the file by itelf amongst the folders, and also in the dcim folder, but no luck. What's the trick? Do i have to buy an sd card to copy the file onto on the device?

To update the Dreambook W7
1) Power off the tablet
2) Remove 3G Sim and SD Card
3) Extract the firmware files (update.zip, bootimg.tgz) to the Dreambook root directory
4) Press and hold: return + home + power buttons together to boot into the android system recovery menu
5) Select option 2 (apply sdcard:update.zip) and press the home button
6) Select option 5 (apply sdcard:boot.img) and press the home button
7) Select option 1 (reboot system now) and press the home button to power off the tablet
8) Turn the tablet on and go to settings
9) Select "About Device" and go to "Build number"
- Check to make sure the dreambook firmware has been updated by viewing the build number.

Hope this helps

emmert_m

Mar 30, 2011
Hooray!. thanks guys. I got to use the device with v20 only until i began to fool around with the fm radio. now it's locked up and i don't know if there's a way to do a hard reset on this thing and there is no way to just pull the battery. This happened once before and i had to wait until the battery completely ran out for it to reset itself.

gfz

Apr 22, 2011
Hooray!. thanks guys. I got to use the device with v20 only until i began to fool around with the fm radio. now it's locked up and i don't know if there's a way to do a hard reset on this thing and there is no way to just pull the battery. This happened once before and i had to wait until the battery completely ran out for it to reset itself.

Dreambook W7 Reset

To reset the Dreambook during any lock-up/crashes you need to press the reset button which is very well disguised and hard to find!

The reset button is actually the charging light indicator on the bottom of the device, carefully press the white plastic button and the Dreambook will switch off.

emmert_m

Mar 30, 2011
Dreambook W7 Reset

To reset the Dreambook during any lock-up/crashes you need to press the reset button which is very well disguised and hard to find!

The reset button is actually the charging light indicator on the bottom of the device, carefully press the white plastic button and the Dreambook will switch off.

Very useful info. Thanks.

The v20 seems stable and the fm radio is pretty neat.

gfz

Apr 22, 2011
here are a few pics of the official dreambook case (also available in black)

Attachments

• $Dreambook W7 Case 1.jpg
    $Dreambook W7 Case 1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 833
  • $Dreambook W7 Case 2.jpg
    $Dreambook W7 Case 2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 452
  • $Dreambook W7 Case 3.jpg
    $Dreambook W7 Case 3.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 435
  • $Dreambook W7 Case 4.jpg
    $Dreambook W7 Case 4.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:

myzter

Apr 3, 2011
the A9 dual core 7" tablets are now available online...
I thought they were atleast one month away!!
and they are available for only $200 USD..
all the same features as W7 + 1080p..
except W7 still has the larger screen resolution so I guess IMHO W7 is still the top of the pack..
but for how long ???
Is 1024*600 worth $100-150 more than 800x480 screen resolution with 1080P HDMI..

Synrgic has Recovery reparing guide:http://synrgic.com/android_apps/updateRecovery.rar
(link is now dead.. Ive emailed Synrgic to get the correct file url)

Last edited: