Synrgic Dreambook W7

gfz

Apr 22, 2011
Where can this case be purchased?

I am not sure if anyone is stocking them just yet, but we will have them available in the UK shortly. link

regarding firmware updates: it is advised to carry out a factory reset via the android recovery menu prior to a firmware update.

pjpeter

Apr 20, 2011
the A9 dual core 7" tablets are now available online...
I thought they were atleast one month away!!
and they are available for only $200 USD..
all the same features as W7 + 1080p..
except W7 still has the larger screen resolution so I guess IMHO W7 is still the top of the pack..
but for how long ???
Is 1024*600 worth $100-150 more than 800x480 screen resolution with 1080P HDMI..

That's great news - can you give a link to one? :)

I'd check it out mostly out of curiousity, it's cool to see how things are progressing, but definitely 1024*600 is the res I want, it's probably the sweet spot for 7" tabs imho - my 3" Xperia X1 has an 800x480 resolution lol :)

Thanks,
Peter

myzter

Apr 3, 2011
pjpeter: search for RENA 3
- The sweet spot was just leaked today by Lenovo for Q4 release
Honeycomb tablet 1280x800 on 7 inches (215.63ppi) / dual core ARM

pjpeter

Apr 20, 2011
pjpeter: search for RENA 3
- The sweet spot was just leaked today by Lenovo for Q4 release
Honeycomb tablet 1280x800 on 7 inches (215.63ppi) / dual core ARM

Does sound cool :) - but I think 1024x600 could be good for me - I have that res currently on my N10J Netbook and on a 10.1" screen I think it's too low and I wish it was 1280x - but at 7" - well I guess we'll see :). My eyes aren't what they used to be and one of the reasons I'm looking at this size tablet is to use it as an eBook reader (as well as pocket internet/e-mail viewer/video/chat/game device) - I've used 3" and 3.5" screens on my various WinMo devices over the years for that purpose, but they're too small - 7" though I'm hoping will be perfect, especially if the eBook app will let you view one page vertically - it would be great for more, but I don't want to kill my eyesight - I overdid it getting a Full HD 1080p 1920x1080 15.6" display on my laptop and now I have to live with it lol.

Thanks for the tip on Lenovo and the info on Rena 3 I get it now :) :p

Thanks,
Peter

Last edited:

emmert_m

Mar 30, 2011
I am not sure if anyone is stocking them just yet, but we will have them available in the UK shortly. link

regarding firmware updates: it is advised to carry out a factory reset via the android recovery menu prior to a firmware update.

I was looking at your page and apparrently there is yet another feature for which i have been unaware:

"You can enjoy your favourite music collection (up to 40GB) through your car speakers wirelessly with the Dreambook built-in fm transmitter or even load up a movie and keep the kids quiet whilst on those long journeys."

The fm radio is a neat feature, and if it can transmit as well as recieve how can this function be accessed?

If this can transmit music to any "dumb" fm reciever that's a feature i would use quite often.

gfz

Apr 22, 2011
I was looking at your page and apparrently there is yet another feature for which i have been unaware:

"You can enjoy your favourite music collection (up to 40GB) through your car speakers wirelessly with the Dreambook built-in fm transmitter or even load up a movie and keep the kids quiet whilst on those long journeys."

The fm radio is a neat feature, and if it can transmit as well as recieve how can this function be accessed?

If this can transmit music to any "dumb" fm reciever that's a feature i would use quite often.

Thank you for noticing that and apologies for getting your hopes up, it is our mistake. Reading the original spec it states fm transceiver and we therefore assumed it would be two way but this is not the case and it is only an fm receiver but still a very nice feature to have! :)

myzter

Apr 3, 2011
Yeah I read that the W7 had FM transceiver when the device first hit the online shops... when you read through alot of the forums you start to read between the lines of translation.. FM is still great feature.. I carry my 8GB ipod around just for the radio feature.. so when I get my W7 I guess I wont need the thing..

Recovery Guide is working I just DL it..
http://www.synrgic.com/android_apps/updateRecovery.rar

Anyone having issues with the touch screen ???
I know the device is only two-point touch, but position determining is sometimes wrong ?
This video is with W7 V20 fw.. I think

Last edited by a moderator:

pjpeter

Apr 20, 2011
Ya that sucks about the FM Transmitter - having an FM Receiver is quite important to me, but the transmitter... I remember seeing it on various pages and eBay listings for this product and I was looking at that as a bonus and one of the cool features I wasn't expecting on the product - too bad it was just a typo.

Ouch on that vid - 20 seconds from the demonstrator tries to unlock to when he actually does - and it sounds like that's not even the issue he's trying to show - is it really that hard to use the touch screen on the W7 or was he using it incorrectly (like ppl holding a bumperless iPhone a certain way... :p)? I think that would drive me nuts.

Thanks,
Peter

P.S. I was just thinking yesterday that 7" was my max because that's the biggest a device could be that I could pocket, unless the screen was somehow foldable - so Sony demo'd a foldable S2 tablet today :p. It's not quite flat, but definitely pocketable with its dual 5.5" screens and it has the crease I was thinking it would need to have - looks cool tho and worth investigating further - this sort of thing opens up how much of a display area we can hope for and it's even more convenient and well protected in our pocket :) - too bad it's from Sony so it might not have an SD slot and may cost too much $ but still great to see what I thought of just as a distant idea come to life the next day :)

Last edited:

myzter

Apr 3, 2011
7" tablet with a laser pico projector.. waiting for the next version of SHOWWX+
yea the sony S2 looks sweet dual 5.5-inch 1,024 x 480 pixel displays, major custom UI - Ive read..
I think Sony will charge an arm & leg for this..

emmert_m

Mar 30, 2011
the touchscreen works flawlessly on mine unless i have my sim card in. I don't know why it works completely fine without it. The problem he has in the video trying to unlock the screen is solved by touching the power button to idle the device then touching it again to wake it back up. Then it works fine. It doesn't show it in the video, but the touchscreen sometimes stops working while trying to input text, and it is solved the same way as the sreen lock. It is a little annoying, but tolerable. Mine never has this issue unless the sim card is installed, so I'm hopeful future updates will resolve this issue.

myzter

Apr 3, 2011
I emailed the details to Kathy @ Synrgic about the touchscreen/SIM issues. We have been chatting for a little while now, so I will post here what she has to say about it......

I thought this was curious ... this was Kathy's reply to my asking about how the DB W7 will stay competitive to the next rush of even cheaper tablets:
cheap tablet pc. Most of that kind of tablet pc are not real Freescales, they just burn the freescale to the TF card, and you can imagine how they performance. They may also tell you that they have built-in 3G, but that's also not true. They just integrated the 3G to SD card

Sounds to me like the same designers that were used to sell Mp3/Mp4 players on Ebay. Specs would be 8GB,16GB,32GB
but really only 2GB.

felipe

Apr 24, 2011
I haven't yet got my Dreambook (stuck in Customs :(), but I really feel that Synrgic is present on support to this tablet. I've asked about upgrades and got the answer from Suki:

It is a great pleasure that our porduct could meet your requirement.
It could be upgraded into Android 2.3 in the future. And we are researching the Android 3.0 products.

Yes, I know that she doen not say anything about updating Dreambook to Honeycomb, but I see a real chance of getting Gingerbread.

Let's wait and see.

emmert_m

Mar 30, 2011
Yeah that'd fine and all but I think it'd be great if they got the bugs got worked out of the current release first. I haven't been able to test the hdmi yet, but I did get a mini usb male to regular usb female to try the usb host. So far no luck. I tried a small thumb drive(it lights up momentarily, then goes back out), i've tried a usb keyboard/ with touchpad mouse, I even got a usb to ps2 converter to try ps2 keyboard and mouse but even that elicits no response from the Dreambook. I'm wondering is there a setting i'm missing somewhere or is this something we need to wait for in a future update (like the fm radio) to function?

pjpeter

Apr 20, 2011
Hey emmert_m, did you try to test the usb host while having the Dreambook W7 plugged in? Because some of what you said, especially the first bit about the thumb driving lighting up momentarily, reminds me of how many of my USB devices took too much power for my low powered USB1 ports I had on my old laptop - it just didn't offer enough juice. The DB W7 might be the same way when on battery power - worth a try anyway. Also note that the fewer adapters you have in between (and even the shorter the cord) the better since it all dissipates energy.

It might not be a power issue it's true, but worth a shot :).

Peter

emmert_m

Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion, but yeah it doesnt seem to make any difference even when its plugged in and charging.