SYTAB10MT root success

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
No major technical breakthrough on my part, but I wanted to report that Universal Androot v1.6.2 beta 5 works for a Soft Root (lost after reboot) on my SYTAB10MT, which is the following hw/sw:

Hardware ID: 11.6.3.1
Kernel: 2.6.32.9
Android: DG2.2.1-10a2

I selected "Do not install superuser" and "Soft root"... other combinations may work, I am not sure. You may have to run "Go Root" several times before it shows success, but once it does, I was able to use RootExplorer, TerminalEmulator, SSHDroid, ConnectBot and Titanium Backup, all showing root permissions. In Term I was able to su. In RootExplorer I was able to mount /system as r/w (and in term, running the mnt command, it showed mounted as r/w).

For what its worth, and from my limited experience, I would call this a successful soft root on the SYTAB10MT.

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
In playing some more, I was able to select "Superuser for Android 2.0 -2.2" and it worked. I will stress, you may have to click "Go Root" a few times. I have not tested "perm" rooting with this app.

Superuser placed an application on the desktop, and when I ran RootExplorer, it prompted asking if I wanted to grant root permissions. Seemed to work fine.

One more last bit of info... with RootExplorer I was able to mount /system r/w, change perms on a file, then with ES File Explorer I was able to edit /system/etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.dat to change the TxPower=100 to TxPower=20. The file was still set to 20 after power off/on. I guess that shows you can in fact edit in /system and have the changes stick.

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
I threw caution to the wind and tried the perm root option. It claimed success, but did not appear to stick after power cycle. I tried doing a soft root, setting /system r/w and then doing the perm root, but no luck.

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
RJazz117, you really might consider editing your post and telling us how you rooted yours, otherwise the knowledge base doesn't grow. Thanks.

frankthetank

Jun 20, 2011
Thanks for the confidence tfurrows, I'vs been a lurker for a couple of months trying to pull the trigger on rooting. Your post just put me over the edge. I downloaded universalandroot 1.6.2 beta 5 and root explorer 2.3.

Our systems are similar but my specs are:
Model number SYNET10LP, although sticker on back is SYTAB10MT
Hardware 11.6.1.5
Android version DG3.20
Kernel 2.6.32.9

My main goal at this point is to remove the phone, telephony, bluetooth apk to improve battery life and take it slowly from there. Thanks again for your post. Wish me luck, I will update In a couple days.

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
Good luck... but be very careful removing the phone and other system apps. It is unclear to me whether or not these are tied in with critical system functions. If you have a restore method, I'd say go for it it, otherwise, I'd say wait. If you remove them, the thing may not even boot.

For me, doing the txpower change seems to have helped a lot with battery usage (that and disabling all widgets). Basically changed the line in /etc/system/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.dat from txpower=100 to txpower=20. My range is still fine for my whole house, and battery usage seems to be greatly improved.

frankthetank

Jun 20, 2011
According to what I have read on this site, others have successfully removed the phone apps and noticed an improved performance and battery life, that is why I want to start there. I was not familiar with the txpower modification but will give that a go also. The only item that has made me pause was that my Android version is DG 3.20 and not the DG 2.2.1 that yours is.

RJazz117

Jun 19, 2011
I thought if there was interest in an alternate method, someone would ask, and I might start a different post on it, rather than clutter this one up with two differing methods.

Anyway, here's what I did:

Sylvania 10-inch Magni Tablet - Root and Configure

When you first get the tablet, plug it into the charger and boot it.

Once booted, configure WiFi and/or Ethernet, then Date and Time, and any other settings you know you will need.

You will need a few pieces of software to complete the process:
1) Amazon Appstore
2) Launcher Lite or Pro (I switched this to VTL Launcher the last time...my copy of Launcher Pro may have been bad)
3) z4root
4) Home Switcher for Froyo
5) Titanium Backup Lite or Pro
6) Terminal Emulator
7) Root Explorer

Once you are ready to root the device, back everything up...manually or with software (I use Titanium Backup Pro) so you do not lose any data you may already have.

Some programs/functions of the device require a SD card to be installed in the top SD slot. Either use the 2 GB SD card that may have come with the device, or any other blank SD card on hand.

**NOTE** THE SD CARD WILL BE ERASED DURING THE UPDATE PROCESS! **NOTE**

1) Perform All Updates
- From the Home screen, Select: Settings | Upgrade system | Check Updating
- The system will look for updates.
- If updates are found, Select: Update
- The system will begin downloading and installing the updates.
- When the download is complete, the system will reboot and apply the updates.

2) Install Software
4 GB TD
- Amazon Appstore
- Launcher Pro or VTL Launcher
- z4root
- Home Switcher for Froyo
- Titanium Backup Pro
- Terminal Emulator
- Root Explorer

3) Run Launcher Pro or VTL Launcher
Note: This section differs in appearance a bit when using VTL Launcher instead of Launcher Pro, but it is basically the same process...
- Select: Home Button | Launcher Pro
- Longpress the Home screen
- Select: Shortcuts | Activities | Settings | Development
- Create the Development desktop shortcut
- Launch the Development shortcut
- Select: Enable USB Debugging

4) Run z4root
- Select Temporary or Permanent root
- System will root the device, and reboot, if Permanent was selected

5) Run Terminal Emulator
- Type "su" and select Enter | Allow
- Superuser access will be granted

6) Run Programs
- Open each installed program
- If Superuser access is requested, select Allow

A) Run Root Explorer
- Superuser access will be requested
- Select Allow

B) Run Titanium Backup Pro
- Superuser access will be requested
- Select Allow
- Select Backup/Restore Tab | Options button | Batch button | Run Backup all user apps + system data

The Sylvania 10-inch Magni Tablet is now updated to the latest OS, rooted, backed up and ready to go.

frankthetank

Jun 20, 2011
No go for me.... Universalandroot gave me the woot! after a couple of fugoo's but when I open root explorer I get ROOT ACCESS FAILED - su: uid10043 not allowed to su. I confirmed I selected superuser for Android 2.0~2.2 but I believe my issue is the Android DG3.2 my tablet has. Root Explorer will let me view the files but not modify any settings. Any ideas for a newb who is just now learning a new language?

UPDATE - I just loaded Universalandroot 1.6.1 and that allowed me to successfully root, for some reason the 1.6.2 beta 5 was the issue. Just updated the txpower as suggested by tfurrows and removed phone.apk, telephonyprovider.apk, and sam4.apk. (I use the amazon market.). I rebooted a couple of times during the process just to be safe. It is working fine and I don't see any issues at this point. Hopefully, I will see battery life improve.

Thanks guys for all of your help. I could not have done it without cfrockit, tfurrows, and RJazz117

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I believe my issue is the Android DG3.2 my tablet has.

frankthetank, You are on to something here regarding updates for the 10" Sylvania.

If you compare the two different devices posted in this thread -

Code:
Hardware ID: 11.6.3.1
Kernel: 2.6.32.9
Android: [B]DG2.2.1-10a2
[/B]
Code:
Hardware 11.6.1.5
Android version [B]DG3.20[/B]
Kernel 2.6.32.9

SYTAB10MT(SYNET10LP)
Don't get confused, the Model number is/was hard coded in the Settings.apk therefore the box/sticker showed one Model versus what is displayed in Settings, however observed above one device (11.6.1.5) is still on the "original" Android version DG3.20 shipped while the other device (11.6.3.1) has been updated or shipped with a newer Android version DG2.2.1-10a2.

Code:
Hardware ID InfoTM update wrap(*.ius)                 FileNum:         U0                                      U0        UBOOT     RD        LK        ADD_USER  ADD_AS
"hwver"                                               Firmware Version u-boot-nand.bin                                             RAMDISK   KERNEL    USER      SYSTEM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sylvania 10" SYTAB10MT(SYNET10LP)
11.6.3.1    0106rd_11.6.3.1.2.0_beta3.ius             11.6.3.1.2.0     2009.08-svn678 (Mar 14 2015 - 09:59:41) 270.5 KB  NA        195.5 KB  2617.5 KB 8.5 KB    55639.5 KB
11.6.3.1    wwe10_11.6.1.5.2.0_beta3.ius              11.6.3.1.2.0     2009.08-svn678 (Mar 14 2015 - 09:55:48) 270.5 KB  NA        195.5 KB  2617.5 KB 4.5 KB    55699 KB
11.6.3.1    11.6.3.1.2.0_beta4_0523.ius               11.6.3.1.2.0     2009.08-svn678 (Mar 14 2015 - 09:59:41) 270.5 KB  NA        195.5 KB  2617.5 KB 8.5 KB    56392.5 KB
11.6.1.5    11.6.1.5.2.0_beta4_0523.ius               11.6.1.5.2.0     2009.08-svn678 (Mar 14 2015 - 09:55:48) 270.5 KB  NA        195.5 KB  2617.5 KB 4.5 KB    56456.5 KB

The Android version number for the 10" device was planned on being change to conform to the 7" model as it was confusing everyone that a 3.2 version existed. 3.2 was to identify is was a 10" model nothing else newer or better. I have been unable to unpack the system.img included in the 10" updates to investigate what is coded in the Settings.apk. I have requested assistance with that on the xdadevelopers site without success.

So one thought would be to update your 11.6.1.5 with the update identified above manually, if the automatic update function doesn't work on the 10" device, and see if the Android version changes and then the Original Post (OP) root method. Either way, I think you confirmed a difference in the Android version impacts the root method. Thanks

Thanks guys for all of your help. I could not have done it without cfrockit, tfurrows, and RJazz117
You are welcome, this is fun!

Last edited:

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
Very cool guys! RJazz117, were you able to confirm a successful perm root on your SYTAB10MT? Also, what is your DG version number?

Frankthetank, I would LOVE to know if you run into any snags with the phone.apk removed... according to some battery software (and I don't know if it's right), that app takes a lot of power. You might do it in a new post, but I'd love to hear how your batter life is improved!

RJazz117

Jun 19, 2011
You are all very welcome...I'm just glad I could help.

I'm still in the process of familiarizing myself with my new tablet and the new OS, and have only owned an Android-based device for about three weeks.

Right now, I'm working on installing ROMs to it (I think I have the right one) so I can install/uninstall/root/unroot at will.

If I learn anything useful, I'll be sure to share again.

frankthetank

Jun 20, 2011
Tfurrows, I have had no issues running any programs on my tablet since I removed the phone.apk and telephony.apk. There is no doubt that my device is more responsive at every click. I can also see a difference in the battery usage but I am pleasantly suprised on the performance. I am going to take cfrockits advice and manually upgrade to the DG2.2.

Leave it to DG to have 2.2 as an upgrade to the 3.2 version, cfrockit explains why in a post above, it did make me chuckle though. I thought I was dealing with such a new version of android that I couldn't root, only to find out I had to dummy down to an old version of universalandroot.

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
Have you downloaded and tested any apps that require access to the "phone status"? What kind of testing have you done?

Sent from my wwe10 using Android Tablet Forum