SYTABEX7 NOT SYNET7LP users needed

BEAW

Mar 17, 2011
What program are you using while attempting to dl files to the tablet? I've had no issues dl'ing files from the default browser or any file manager that I use. I would suggest either using ES file manager or File expert. You can set up an ftp or smb (samba) share in both. I will post dropbox links to both later and you should be able to dl them from the browser and then install.

Sent from my A7-040 using Tapatalk

EDIT:

Here are the links to 2 really good file managers.

ES File Explorer:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23070954/Andriod Apps/ES_FileExplorer.apk

File Expert:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23070954/Andriod Apps/File_Expert.apk

There seems to be a problem with the tablet writing to the mini SD card. I can write to the card from my PC and transfer files but once it is plugged in, it becomes read only essentially. I have used the formatting available on the tablet and it seemed to be successful but still no downloading capability. I almost feel like I am missing some setting or something else. If anybody has any thoughts, I would sure appreciate it.

fatmanwalking

Mar 26, 2011
Oops!

Based upon a post by The Doctor Who, I got curious about my USB port. In The Doctor Who's post, he swore that he got his HOST USB port working after he tried an update that didn't seem to change anything. Like The Doctor Who, the first thing that I did was run the update.

I didn't check to see what my "About device" reported on my tablet. I know now that it reports it's model as a SYNET7LP and not as a SYTABEX7.

So I have this roll up USB keyboard I'd bought for my netbook and decided to plug it into the HOST USB port. Well surprise, surprise my tablet saw the keyboard and I can type in Google search entries, fill out forms, etc.

The manual has a passage about the other OTG USB port which pretty much says that an update is required before it is user accessible.

So the bottom line is, my HOST USB port is working. Hurrah! But now I wonder if the OTG USB port will ever work. I'm not sure that an update will ever work since the model number of my tablet is incorrect.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
There seems to be a problem with the tablet writing to the mini SD card. I can write to the card from my PC and transfer files but once it is plugged in, it becomes read only essentially. I have used the formatting available on the tablet and it seemed to be successful but still no downloading capability. I almost feel like I am missing some setting or something else. If anybody has any thoughts, I would sure appreciate it.

I recall an issue with the incorrect permissions and properties causing not being able to write to the sdcard thus causing downloads to fail. The permissions need to be set as read write.

Check the permissions and properties of /sdcard with it in the tablet.

Using RootExplorer the following can be viewed.

Properties
Name: sdcard
Permissions: ---rwxr-x
Owner: system
Group: sdcard_rw

You can also view using adb

Code:
C:\>[B]adb shell ls -l[/B]
drwxrwxrwx system   system            2011-03-17 09:56 local
drwxrwxrwt root     root              2011-03-31 22:06 sqlite_stmt_journals
dr-x------ root     root              2011-03-31 19:36 config
drwxrwx--- system   cache             2011-03-29 19:53 cache
d--------- system   system            2011-03-31 19:36 udisk
[B]d---rwxr-x system   sdcard_rw          1969-12-31 19:00 sdcard[/B]
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2011-03-31 19:36 d -> /sys/kernel/debug
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2011-03-31 19:36 etc -> /system/etc
drwxrwxrwx root     root              2010-10-26 00:42 system
drwxr-xr-x root     root              1969-12-31 19:00 sys
drwxr-x--- root     root              1969-12-31 19:00 sbin
dr-xr-xr-x root     root              1969-12-31 19:00 proc
-rwxr-x--- root     root        14795 1969-12-31 19:00 init.rc
-rwxr-x--- root     root         1677 1969-12-31 19:00 init.goldfish.rc
-rwxr-x--- root     root       103164 1969-12-31 19:00 init
-rw-r--r-- root     root          118 1969-12-31 19:00 default.prop
drwxrwx--x system   system            2011-03-16 15:01 data
drwx------ root     root              2010-11-02 07:51 root
drwxr-xr-x root     root              2011-03-31 19:37 dev

slmilton

Mar 31, 2011
I bought from CVS last night. When I got home I noticed it had been previously opened and became nervous. Sure enough, it wouldn't power up. Went back today and exchanged it. The host USB didn't work at first, but after updating, it works fine now. I used the micro card from my phone, but have ordered a new one. While I wait for it, I am trying to learn about all the terms the others have used. So far, I am pleased with the unit. I did not expect it to be as fancy as the iPad, but it works what I need, except I would like to have some type of word processor to make notes, etc. I have a Palm Pilot that has been abandoned by Palm, and have lots of files I want to be able to access when I am away from my computer. That's the main reason I bought this. Sadly, Documents to Go does not show that it will work for this. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I didn't check to see what my "About device" reported on my tablet. I know now that it reports it's model as a SYNET7LP and not as a SYTABEX7.

The "Model number" is hard coded into the Settings.apk used on both devices so it will always report SYNET7LP.

The only way to identify the actual hardware is to execute the following which shows the parameters passed to the kernel at the time it is started.

Code:
C:\>[B]adb shell cat /proc/cmdline[/B]
console=ttySAC3,115200 androidboot.mode=normal bmagic=0xeef07901 [B]hwver=11.2.0.6[/B]
hwver=11.2.0.6 SYNET7LP with HDMI (confirmed)
hwver=11.2.1.5 SYTABEX7 no HDMI and update doesn't seem to load (need a SYNTABEX7 to confirm)

Additional hwver may also exist but not confirmed.

Mar 23, 2011
Sadly, Documents to Go does not show that it will work for this. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

That's interesting, because I have Documents to Go installed and (apparently) working on my Express. Full version and all. I haven't actually used it for anything yet, but it seems to be perfectly functional.

If you're unsure, you could download the free version from Amazon App Market and test it without any risk of wasting money.

Last edited:

Marbieskarb

Feb 2, 2011
The easiest way to determine which model you have is by the hdmi port. If yours doesn't have an hdmi port then you have the tablet express model. Furthermore, CVS doesn't sell anything other than the express model for $99.

Sent from my A7-040 using Tapatalk

BEAW

Mar 17, 2011
I recall an issue with the incorrect permissions and properties causing not being able to write to the sdcard thus causing downloads to fail. The permissions need to be set as read write.

Check the permissions and properties of /sdcard with it in the tablet.

Using RootExplorer the following can be viewed.

Properties
Name: sdcard
Permissions: ---rwxr-x
Owner: system
Group: sdcard_rw

cfrockit, is root explorer something that I need to download to the card from my PC? If so, how do I change the setting should I find it is set to read only? Probably a relatively easy fix but I am not particularly tech savvy so any further insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Beaw

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
cfrockit, is root explorer something that i need to download to the card from my pc? If so, how do i change the setting should i find it is set to read only? Probably a relatively easy fix but i am not particularly tech savvy so any further insight would be greatly appreciated.

You're not alone, alot of us are not "tech savvy" as it relates to this devices so we've been learning along the way, what works and what doesn't. When these devices where first available this post lead me searching for application tools and they have been found to also work on the SYTABEX7.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-os-2-1-mid-1ghz-hdmi-tablet-6.html#post15752

Member "tipstir" contributes to many forums and has their own site where they publish "Tipstir's Power Collection"

Tipstir's - | Power Collection Package 282 | 3/15/11

In this distribution the two following applications once installed will allow you to access the file structure and view/change folders/files.

UniversalAndroot_1.6.1.apk

com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer.apk

Using RootExplorer a long click on the /sdcard will bring up a menu where you can review the Properties or Permissions. Selecting Permissions will bring up a window where you can change the check boxes to assign permissions.

BEAW

Mar 17, 2011
You're not alone, alot of us are not "tech savvy" as it relates to this devices so we've been learning along the way, what works and what doesn't.
Using RootExplorer a long click on the /sdcard will bring up a menu where you can review the Properties or Permissions. Selecting Permissions will bring up a window where you can change the check boxes to assign permissions.

Hi cfrockit,
Looks like I'm very close, I got Universal Androot and Root Explorer working and I get to the permissions portion of the /SD card and it has three lines labeled USER, GROUP, and OTHERS. The Column Headersare READ, WRITE and EXECUTE. The USER line has none of the boxes checked. The Group line has all three boxes checked, and the Others line has Read and Execute checked. There are also an OK and CANCEL button. I have clicked all 3 boxes in the USER line and also the WRITE box in the Others line then clicked the OK button.

The SD Card still continues to be identified as Read Only R/O. When I go back into Permissions, the buttons I had earlier clicked are again unclicked. Any additional insight?
It seems so close to resolution but.............
Thanks
Beaw

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
The Column Headersare READ, WRITE and EXECUTE. The USER line has none of the boxes checked. The Group line has all three boxes checked, and the Others line has Read and Execute checked. There are also an OK and CANCEL button. I have clicked all 3 boxes in the USER line and also the WRITE box in the Others line then clicked the OK button.

The SD Card still continues to be identified as Read Only R/O.

Here are a few screen shots, sometimes a picture provides more information. Also, check the Properties since the Owner and Group my be keeping files written to the sdcard.

$2011-4-0-20-50-2.jpg$2011-4-0-20-50-23.jpg$2011-4-0-20-50-43.jpg

slmilton

Mar 31, 2011
That's interesting, because I have Documents to Go installed and (apparently) working on my Express. Full version and all. I haven't actually used it for anything yet, but it seems to be perfectly functional.

If you're unsure, you could download the free version from Amazon App Market and test it without any risk of wasting money.

I finally got the Documents to Go installed and working. I have even paid for the full version now. With a little practice, I think I will be able to use this instead of the much loved, but failing, Palm Pilot.

All you guys are great with advice. I love being able to ask stupid questions and get a logical answer.

BEAW

Mar 17, 2011
Here are a few screen shots, sometimes a picture provides more information. Also, check the Properties since the Owner and Group my be keeping files written to the sdcard.

View attachment 1962View attachment 1961View attachment 1960

Thank you cfrockit, the first two screen shots match what I see but I cannot get to properties. I have decided that I am satisfied with simply loading stuff on the mini SD card from my home PC and transferring to the tablet. It certainly worked fine installing Root Explorer and Universal Androot. Still a great device for 99 bux and still very satisified with its performance. After all, 90% of my use is related to surfing the internet so the other 10% can come in through the card.

Cheers
Beaw

petedude

Mar 9, 2011
. . . I have decided that I am satisfied with simply loading stuff on the mini SD card from my home PC and transferring to the tablet. . . Still a great device for 99 bux and still very satisified with its performance. After all, 90% of my use is related to surfing the internet so the other 10% can come in through the card.

What you're doing with the card is what most folks call "side-loading" here.

Similar story on my end-- all the rooting and updating are very tempting, but it looks like between side-loading a few apps I needed and the (minimal) markets I can get working, I'm covered for the moment. I need to keep this puppy working for at least a few months before I start really tinkering with it. :)

vivsmama

Apr 12, 2011
I just purchased this device yesterday. I can get things to work except the update. My problem is that after entering my wifi info, email account and downloading apps, when the tab is turned off, they all go away and I have to start all over again. I can never get them on the phone. The wait time is crazy. I am hoping for an answer in the next couple of days or it goes back.