T mobile seems have blocked data for my S7 for no reason.....

Lorrendor

Dec 23, 2010
Well if you read what Joshua has posted on the previous page, it seems TMobile is reading/filtering the IMEI of the DEVICE that is accessing their network, and TMobile has classified the S7 as a Mobile Internet Device, and not a Smartphone. So regardless of what IMEI you use, TMobile is reading the S7's and is blocking us there. Hopefully they can fix us back to Smartphone and that should fix the issue.

Thanks to Joshua for posting this info (this is not my own info). Read post #36 in this thread for his posting.

Last edited:

duceirae

Dec 14, 2010
Well if you read what Joshua has posted on the previous page, it seems TMobile is reading/filtering the IMEI of the DEVICE that is accessing their network, and TMobile has classified the S7 as a Mobile Internet Device, and not a Smartphone. So regardless of what IMEI you use, TMobile is reading the S7's and is blocking us there. Hopefully they can fix us back to Smartphone and that should fix the issue.

Thanks to Joshua for posting this info (this is not my own info). Read post #36 in this thread for his posting.

yeah I think tomarrow ima forward this thread to the CEO to let him know so he can have his people work on this as its a major problem for a lot of customers..

419guy

Nov 17, 2010
yeah I think tomarrow ima forward this thread to the CEO to let him know so he can have his people work on this as its a major problem for a lot of customers..

Since T-Mobile is coming out with the Dell Streak 7 and LG tablet, I wonder if this is their way of making their customers use their tablets and blocking the competition....just a conspiracy theory....

duceirae

Dec 14, 2010
Since T-Mobile is coming out with the Dell Streak 7 and LG tablet, I wonder if this is their way of making their customers use their tablets and blocking the competition....just a conspiracy theory....

that is always possible but also t mobile has also been one of the companys that have at least been open to other phones because at least they are getting business. See that is the thing in this day in age is people do have some choices about the phones and carriers ( maybe not as much as I would like ) but there is some flexiablity and I think T mobile and others do see that at least to a degree. Of course with that being said it doesnt mean im not fustrated right now but its just a thought!

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
I am not the biggest fan of T-mobile (they are just as bad here in the UK), however, I don't believe they are in some way "reading" the IMEIs of subscribers. They could well attempt to establish a subscribers smartphone at the comencement of the service in order to sell them the top price data plan, but, people change their phones so much by way of ungrading, down grading, using an old phone when one gets broken etc, etc, that any monitoring system would not be able to cope with the ever changing status of users. In any case what would be the point in them saying "Ah hah! you've changed your phone so we are going to stop your internet access!" That doesn't make any commercial sense at all and believe me if there is one thing I know about T-mobile US, they are very commercial, having been through their preliminary process for selection as one of their retail agents.
When I first went to the States in May last year I took with me my UK HD2. I went to an independent T-mobile retail agent (in Evans GA, near the Walmart for reference) and asked for a rolling month by month, almost pay as go, contract with data enabled. They asked me what phone I had and I said "what difference does that make?" to which they replied that if you had a smartphone then you have to have a more costly smartphone plan.
No, I said, because my phone will not run on the data carrier frequency which T-mobile use (why in hell did T-mobile US have to choose a frequency different from the rest of the world! It makes no sense to debar the US from using evry other phone in existence! And don't get me started abou CDMA. Why did you guys allow that to happen? Did you all just agree to crap service, crap phones and plans that tie you in for the rest of your life at rediculously high crap prices?)
Sorry about that! I could use a rant thread about those points on their own. I'll settle down and get back to my point.
I only wanted the basic, ordinary phone data plan. This seemed to cause them some trouble and the agaent was not able to explain this to whoever they talked to at T-mobile in order to get the service activated.
So he activated using the details from an old unlocked LG phone (whic I couldn't understand) that he had "out the back".
"If I don't do this they will know you are using a smartphone" he said???????? What? I will be using a smartphone. But, I let him continue and my service was enabled and I got only edge and paid the lower price per month until my 90 days were up (yes the limit on my immigration status into your wonderful (and I do mean that!) country.
The plan lapsed and when I returned again in September I went to the same agent (who I, by now, had got to know quite well!) and he immediately knew what I wanted, set up a new plan without any bother and without any having to register a phone etc, etc and then told me an interesting thing. I was the first customer who had ever asked for a particular data plan and as I had got what I wanted when he didn't even know they existed he had been selling them to many people since my last departure on a "well why not have a low cost edge data plan basis" There wasn't any nor had there since been any check by T-mobile on any of his customers.
I put my SIM into my HD2 once more and away I went.
When I bought my S7 I did the same thing.
The only difference in all this is the APN which allowed access!
I'll be there again for Mardi Gras (and hopefully to get married to a wonderfull girl I met!) But, that's another story) and will check it out again.
So that's the basis of my disbelief in all these "monitoring" stories. Even if they come from a T-mobile rep.
After all what do they know?

stephndudb

Jan 5, 2011
No. I think they ARE monitoring the IMEI. I say this because I took a sim card from a working Android smartphone in a TM store and put it in my S7. As soon as it was in my S7, data was blocked. That means their system recognized it was in a different device. Likewise, a sim from one of their tablets worked fine, but data only.

Last edited:

Joshua

Nov 28, 2010
First of all Robert Dotson is no longer TMO CEO, he stepped down in November, The new CEO is Philipp Humm.

Trust me that T-Mobile does track IMEIs, they use it so that the correct features are offered to the correct phone and for warranty verification. Call customer care and they can tell you what device you are using on the network. It does take 24-48 hours of the device registered on the network for the imei to be updated in TMOs system, its not instantaneous. I have shot emails to some people to try and have the problem resolved. But I offer no promises.

xtra30

Jan 9, 2011
hello every one im having the same problem with my huawei i call t-mobile five times and they keep telling me the same thing im new to all this but they told me i needed to upgrade to there 4g service when i all ready had and unlimited data plan and told me to wait two hour well i waited over nite and still nothing so i call back and talk to this guy i could finaly understand and he told me that they havent put it on there yet so he told me to wait two more hour man i hope this work it seem like the run arounds im sorry just a little upset have any one fix this problem if so let me please thanks

Markus31788

Dec 13, 2010
I was just thinking about if anyone has tried to get the S7 phone and data service hook up from Best Buy? I wonder what they offer for the s7? When I got mine I said no thanks. Also, if we are only able to get edge data from T-Mobile why should we have to pay for 3g or 4G.

xtra30

Jan 9, 2011
i went to best yesterday and they only offer at&t and that cost to much for me being that i allready have three phones with tm allready

419guy

Nov 17, 2010
First of all Robert Dotson is no longer TMO CEO, he stepped down in November, The new CEO is Philipp Humm.

Trust me that T-Mobile does track IMEIs, they use it so that the correct features are offered to the correct phone and for warranty verification. Call customer care and they can tell you what device you are using on the network. It does take 24-48 hours of the device registered on the network for the imei to be updated in TMOs system, its not instantaneous. I have shot emails to some people to try and have the problem resolved. But I offer no promises.

Yes they definitely do..for example, when I bought the S7, I already had a Nokia Nuron with the "dumb phone" unlimited internet plan of $10 a month. However when I put my sim in the S7, I received a redirect message that I have to upgrade to the smart phone $30 plan, which I did.

This is how they monitor the rate plans of the devices you use. Such as now, when I talked to the rep regarding the S7, she said they classified it as a tablet, not a phone. this is probably why we are no longer getting data service with our current plan. They consider the S7 a mobile broadband device.

Lucky for me the rep that I plead my case to for the fifth time that day was kind enough to switch me back to the grandfathered $10 unlimited plan, which the other reps I talked to refused.

I was in love with this tablet before...took it everywhere I went, used it as my cell phone... had people wanting to go to Best Buy and buy one themselves. But now I have given up on it. Maybe if the Notion Ink ever becomes available....Notion Ink Adam Full Details | Android Community

xtra30

Jan 9, 2011
well its frustrating i been on the phone with reps for five in a half hour and after five hour they finally told me that i have to go to a store and get and imei number off of a data stick so they can activate the sim card so i can have a 30$ dollars monthly prepaid plan for my huawei i wish they would have told me that when i talk to the first person not to mention i talk to ten people witch five of them hung up on me when they put me on hold this **** sucks if i cant get any where when i talk to then tomorrow i going to go to at&t

mrook15

Dec 26, 2010
Has anyone tried to upgrade to a prepaid monthly plan when you get redirected? Just wondering if upgrading to a monthly voice/data plan will work or does the data portion still get blocked.

stephndudb

Jan 5, 2011
Has anyone tried to upgrade to a prepaid monthly plan when you get redirected? Just wondering if upgrading to a monthly voice/data plan will work or does the data portion still get blocked.

I think data will still be blocked. The problem is that they have classified the S7 as a "data device." Therefore, you cannot have a plan that provides both data AND voice (smartphone plan). You can have one or the other, but not both. I tried a store sim with a monthly data/voice plan in my S7 and it didn't work.

I think a case can be made that TM is guilty of fraud in this circumstance. They have sold us smartphone plans for our smartphones (which is what the S7 really is - a giant smartphone), then re-classified the device and told us our plans are no good. They wouldn't even refund my money or allow me to transfer the balance to a data plan!