T-Mobile US Data Block Against Huawei Ideos S7 - NEWS ARTICLE DRAFT

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
News draft to go on the front page.

Let me know if there's anything to add. Then we can formally submit to tech blogs to try to spread the news.

I am not comfortable with the wording I'm using yet...

Qm696l.jpg

Since January, T-Mobile has placed a restrictive data block against the Huawei Ideos S7, forcing customers to switch to their more expensive plans for data plans despite the phone capabilities of the unlocked smartphone tablet hybrid device. The Huawei Ideos S7 is a 7" Android device sharing internals with the Nexus One in the Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8250.

Users of the S7 previously were able to use the Pay as you go plan along with the Web Day pass package, until T-Mobile blocked the device without explanation.

T-Mobile has been unwilling to change their stance for the last few months. Having blocked data access of active members without warning, some users have in turn has to abandon the device. Users are frustrated that that T-Mobile is blocked the store unlocked S7 in favor of their contract devices such as the Dell Streak 7 and the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

T-Mobile is imposing a restriction on the Huawei Ideos S7 so that it is identified as a 'mobile internet device' instead of a 'smartphone'. This restricts the S7 for use with smartphone plans, which are much more consumer friendly. T-Mobile has actually blocked data use for any S7 owners without warning or compensation, although it is possible to receive compensation after a painful process of bickering to T-Mobile.

There has been limited action against T-Mobile in the form of an FCC filing. At least a few users have attempted to contact T-Mobile, but have been ignored.

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
They labeled it a "mobile internet device" knowing full well it is a fully functional phone. I like your plan to address this x. Hopefully T-mobile comes to their senses.

kurbisjunge

Mar 3, 2011
I am not sure how many people are in the same boat as me, but I am using an s7 right now, and I have been a loyal T-mobile customer for years. I have found them to be very responsive to their base, and take feedback seriously.

I bought the s7 because I didn't want to sign up for a data plan. This may be a distinction without a difference, but functionally, do they literally stop packet transport when they discover the type of device you are using? That really would be going too far, and an intrusion on the freedoms of their customer.

I would think a major wireless provider would be going into the game with their eyes open, knowing they'd be subject to the whims and fancies of their customer.

I don't think they offer more than one data plan, and unlimited used to mean unlimited, so myself opinion
will be breaking their way until I do some more research.

Sent from my s7 using Android Tablet Forum App

miker49er

Feb 23, 2011
I'm in the same boat--long time T-Mobile prepaid customer. I unlocked an Iphone right after they started blocking data on them, then was really happy when they unblocked it and I could use the DayPass.

Planned to do the same with my S7, but after I bought it I found out they had just blocked the S7! Too bad they can't figure out something that would make us happy and make them some money. I'd pay $1.49 for a two hour pass, $2.50 or 3.00 for a day pass.

Meanwhile still looking at the options. ATT too expensive, but I might try it. Bought the Virgin Moble MiFi 2200 last week (BB gave me the bundle price even though I'd bought the S7 a few weeks earlier) but haven't decided whether to keep it or not.

ZaXa

Mar 5, 2011
I don't think there is anything anticompetitive about their practice. If it were anticompetitive then T-mobile would somehow be preventing you from using another service or denying you service when they have made themselves the only ones able to provide it. Since you can use AT&T or other options to get data, and there is nothing Tmobile does to prevent it, this doesn't seem to be anitcompetitive. If they are taking your money and not providing service, then that is just fraud.

I believe just like any private business they can retain the right to deny service to anybody. So if they decide they don't want to serve S7 owners, it is probably within their rights. In a free market, you go to another provider who will.

Anyway I'm not a lawyer, but I think before you publish something out there making accusations you might want a lawyer to review it.

Matt

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Hm... Fixed the wording...

I am actually not clear on this. Do mobile carriers have the right to refuse service on legitimate unlocked devices?

The S7 is being restricted on an unjustified basis. Grey market devices are devices not in their list. But Huawei is a known manufacturer. The T-Mobile Comet is a Huawei Ideos phone.

It makes no sense to be classified as a data device when it clearly has phone features.

I guess we need to figure out what the FCC's take is on this. This isn't an issue of a merchant refusing to sell. Mobile companies are regulated.

ZaXa

Mar 5, 2011
I don't think they have to give you service. For example where I live, we are technically on AT&T's network but it's once of their partners towers. If you get an AT&T data plan and then use it primarily on the partners network, AT&T will shut down your service. It has happened to lots of people I know (they're all android converts now, Verizon works fine here). So that's just a case of refusing it because they don't like how you are using it. Which is similar to the S7.

I agree it totally sucks. I have an S7 I'd like to use this way. But my suspicion is they are in their rights. But you are right, clarification from the FCC would be required.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
So it is sounding more and more like this is not an issue we can fight until someone researches a little bit into it... Nevermind then...

Jan 26, 2011
My version of your article is below. Feel free to edit/modify at will. I am a former telecomm manager (Bell System/AT&T) and I am curious whether T-Mobile has the right to selectively deny service based on the device you use. TheTelco's can't deny you phone service based on the device you connect to their landlines. I don't know why the wireless network would be any different.

The part that stings is that I think T-Mobile just wants to get extra money from us. The cheapest way to get service for the S7 is to get a new smartphone ($99 or more, depending on the device) with a new 2-year contract (or contract extension) and a $20 monthly tethering service charge. Now you have to carry two devices, chargers, etc., for a kludged-up service rather than the clean implementation that can be/should be available.

From an ethical basis they should be ashamed. I would love to hear a lawyer's opinion on the legalities.

Rob
Since January, 2011, T-Mobile has placed a restrictive data block against the Huawei Ideos S7. The Ideos S7 is an Android-based smartphone in a 7” tablet form factor. With a SIM card installed it can be used as a voice telephone on AT&T or T-Mobile’s networks. In addition it can access data on T-Mobile’s Edge network.

T-Mobile has made a marketing decision to type the voice as either a tablet computer or a voice-only telephone. If a smartphone user moves their SIM card to the Ideos S7 voice and data will work for up to 2 hours. During that period the T-Mobile network reads the IMEI number of the device and then shuts off data access.

T-Mobile’s solution? Buy a smartphone with a data plan and add a $20-per-month tethering feature so that the Ideos S7 can use WiFi to access the smartphone’s data services. This forces a customer to buy an additional device from T-Mobile and add $240 per year in network charges for tethering. Over a typical 3-year lifespan, that is $720 in unnecessary tethering charges.

It is not as if T-Mobile is unaware of the phone capabilities of the unlocked hybrid device. T-Mobile sells other Huawei products (including the “Comet”) and obviously is comfortable with Huawei’s internal components and build quality. The Ideos S7 shares internals with the Nexus One, including the Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8250 chipset.

Users of the S7 previously were able to use T-Mobile’s voice and data services until T-Mobile blocked the device without explanation. T-Mobile’s call center sales and support personnel have been ignorant of the situation and many Ideos S7 owners have been sold smartphone plans that don’t work. Some owners have had difficulty receiving refunds for services sold but not delivered.

T-Mobile refuses to explain their decision and calls to various executives at the Vice Presidential level and above have not been returned. Ideos S7 owners are frustrated that T-Mobile refuses access to the same network services that are available with T-Mobile’s contract devices such as the Dell Streak 7 and the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Complaints have been filed with the FCC by multiple Ideos S7 owners, who are waiting for a response from the FCC.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
T-Mobile has made a marketing decision to type the voice as either a tablet computer or a voice-only telephone.

Edit: Think you meant to say "type the device" vice "type the voice" above.

My $.02 FWIW: This isn't going to get much traction unless Huawei themselves complain about the 2nd Class Citizen treatment the S7 is getting on T-Mobile's network. The silence from Huawei is deafening. Good luck fighting the man!

Sent from my SPH-P100

raduque

Jan 28, 2011
I would change "illegible" to "non-eligible" or "not eligible" as "illegible" means "unreadable".

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
I agree that they're looking to squeeze extra money. I recently was in a T-Mobile corporate store, as opposed to a kiosk, and asked about the Galaxy & Streak. I asked about moving my SIM card to the tablet and then back when I was done. I was told that wasn't how it works. They said that the tablet would be it's own line (for text messages and google voice) and additional data service.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App