Tablet Charging Issues, How to

toomuch

May 21, 2011
I see a lot of inquiries about charging tablets other than from an outlet.
I want to document my solutions here in the hope that they will be helpful to others.

First off, most pads need 9 to 12 volts to charge, USB connections only provide 5 Volts, thus not many (if any) tablets will be able to charge from a USB port.

Car chargers can be hit or miss, maybe you can find one for your model but good luck.
There are specialty rechargeable batteries available from Duracell and Enegizer which will support laptop / netbook charging, try visiting the XPal power website to find both regular and solar powered chargers, note however the lower end batteries will only charge 5 volt devices, you will need to look at one of the higher end batteries / chargers.

For charging my tablet in my car I use a voltage inverter, mine is the tripp lite 375 Watt model but lower wattage units are available, see the website, this provides plenty of power from the cigarette lighter socket in my car to charge my tablet and other devices ( this model has 2 outlets)

Also often overlooked, some of the more expensive solar backpacks may be able to charge your tablet, look carefully into the specs, so handy when you can charge your device whilst it is inside your backpack via a solar panel.

If you have any other solutions of course feel free to add and thanks to the mods for making this forum.