Tablet choice help required

lovy_uk

Feb 22, 2012
Hi,

Have spent hours now trawling sites, reading reviews and getting more confused with every minute I spend and was hoping for some experienced advise on a suitable low cost tablet that will do what I want without the many bells and whistles that seem to come with most tabs.

Looking at purchasing for work purposes to replace the reams and reams of paper I carry, price lists, spec sheets etc etc ... all available to me in pdf and/or excel. It will be used as a presenter more than a games machine but must be able to run videos and have flash support. I live and die by Outlook it runs my schedules so being able to sync my Outlook diary and contacts would be a bonus. Not too bothered about 3G support as see myself sync'ing it to the laptop every evening. Like I say I really need an electronic vehicle for the paperwork I carry around.

So must do's are:
- pdf
- excel
- word
- outlook for diary & contacts sync
- play movies (small avi's etc not your full movies)
- stylus writing (think that is what its called where you can write over a pdf) would be good
- Full size USB

Thats about it really.

Any advice and direction is much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
Hi Lovy,

Most Tablets should really be able to meet your requirements (not sure about the Stylus writing). They are more connected to what apps you have on the tablet.

For MS Office I recommend Documents to Go. Sync with outlook is more tricky. Google wants you to use Gmail and if you want to sync with Outlook you will most likely require a paid app like Companionlink: Sync Android with Outlook - Sync contacts, calendar and tasks -- CompanionLink Software

lovy_uk

Feb 22, 2012
Would you recommend any that would be suitable ..... have seen the StealthX Hydro which seems to tick all the boxes ...... verdict or alternative?

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
Hmmmm... This is not so easy because your requirements are depending on the apps you have on your Tablet and not so much the actual Tablet. So what you need to think about are issues like:

- What screen size do I need
- Do I need Mulit touch or is a resisitive screen OK
- Do I need a lot of storage
- how important is price for me
- Should it be "presentable"

Maybe this guide will help you: How To select your Android Tablet

There are literally speaking thousands of options out there. I like Thinkpad c71 (you can find that on the website above but unless you live in East Africa you will have to order somewhere else) It is a robust tablet with Capacitive screen. It looks nice and fits in a handbag. The price is very reasonable, however it is a 7" screen so if you prefer a large screen to read documents and watch movies the Zenithink C91 might be a better option.

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
Give us a price range and screen size then we could give better advice. The kindle fire may be a good suit for you.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited: