Tablet Crashes When Connected To WiFi Hotspot

williamii72

Nov 19, 2017
I have an Onda tablet running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. I set up a WiFi hotspot on my phone and connect the tablet to it. After anywhere from a minute to 20 minutes or so the tablet crashes. Not the browser, the operating system itself. The logo comes up like it is rebooting but it's stuck. I have to hold the power button down to reboot. This happens whether I'm running a browser or not. I've tried a bunch of browsers. I also end the processes of other apps running. And I usually have at least am half of gig of memory so it's not a memory issue. It seems to me that something in the WiFi is triggering something in the tablet to crash. I have tried different networks. Also, I have two Onda tablets that do the same thing. When they are both connected, they crash at the same time.
Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The phone isn't the problem, and having three tablets act in the same exact fashion at the same exact time precludes this being a hardware issue with the tablets. Thus the only possibility here is that it's your carrier that is causing it. As to why, that's easy. You're not on a plan that includes tethering.

Just to clarify, are you on T-Mobile or are you using an MVNO like Straight Talk?

williamii72

Nov 19, 2017
The phone isn't the problem, and having three tablets act in the same exact fashion at the same exact time precludes this being a hardware issue with the tablets. Thus the only possibility here is that it's your carrier that is causing it. As to why, that's easy. You're not on a plan that includes tethering.

Just to clarify, are you on T-Mobile or are you using an MVNO like Straight Talk?

williamii72

Nov 19, 2017
The carrier is Metro PCS. We have also tried another one with the same result. Our plan does include 6 gigs of hotspot. What baffles me is that the tablets crash and need to be rebooted. They don't simply get disconnected. What could a carrier do to cause a tablet to crash?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Honestly, I'm stumped and have no idea. The tethering prohibition seemed most likely to me, but as your plan apparently includes it your guess is as good as mine.

I'm still leaning toward it being a carrier issue. I would start slogging through their customer disservice. But not today.