Tablet for grandma

jtizzle07

Dec 12, 2010
My grandmother is really wanting a computer for christmas. I was thinking that it would be easier for her to just have a tablet that she could use for e-mail and very basic web browsing. The only real things that would be nice is if you could plug in a usb keyboard, connect to wi-fi, and a big screen lol. I would like to keep this under 350 if possible.

I have done some research but their are so many options I just want to make sure I get a good one and not one that is going to aggravate her because it doesn't work well.

Thanks everyone have a Merry Christmas!!!!!

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
for a Grandma i would suggest just getting her a computer but if your set on getting a tablet then get one with a capacitive touch screen

jtizzle07

Dec 12, 2010
for a Grandma i would suggest just getting her a computer but if your set on getting a tablet then get one with a capacitive touch screen

Well I was thinking a tablet would be easier for her to use just touch this app for e-mail this one for the web etc. etc.

ultrafloss492

Dec 12, 2010
I'm also wondering which tablet to buy so I really can't help you about that but I know you are set on a tablet but isn't it much more convenient for her to work on a laptop? She has a better videocard has more options, already a keyboard etc.? Also I think if she wants a computer you don't really can say a tablet is a full computer.

Anyways, this is just how I think about it.

Hope you succeed in any of which you might buy =)

edit: oops, just saw your post ( I had the reply windows open for quit some time before typing)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I would agree that touch based tablets are much easier to learn than computers. I let some retired friends of mine use the X5A, and they did learn how to use a few of the apps on there. If they had no computer experience in the first place, Android is more difficult than iOS to master, but not a bad option.

Capacitive touch is good, but it depends if they are the type you can convince that using a fingernail wouldn't work on a capacitive touchscreen.

Perhaps you might want to refer to the guide and charts in my signature. What you choose is ultimately dependent on how much time you have to be there to help, along with how much work you want to do to set it up initially.