Tablet for serious student??

mojay

Aug 24, 2012
Hello everyone. I'm new here and I have general questions about tablets. Let me give a brief introduction to my problem.

So, I am going to start my 3rd year at university very shortly. Recently, I've been annoyed carrying my books around and most of my friends have pdf copies of the textbooks we need, but I buy the book anyways because I simply can't study off my laptop screen. After, seeing a couple students use tablets very efficiently for studying this summer I am considering giving it a shot. It will essentially pay for itself in one semester if I don't need textbooks for 2 courses. So, I don't really have a budget.

I will just explain what I hope to achieve and which tablets can help me do this. I already have a Samsung Galaxy SIII and a high-end 13.1 inch light notebook. So, keyboard dock and things like that aren't really a necessity.

1) As I mentioned previously, I hope to get the primary use from reading pdf version of textbooks and highlighting, annotating and flagging the textbooks if possible.
2) I don't have the best of handwriting, so will this hinder my attempts of handwriting brief notes on the tablet. I'm not sure I'm willing to completely ditch the paper and pen approach.
3) I know this is an android tablet forum, but I have seen some good study/education apps for the iPad such as CaptureNotes2 are there Android equivalents or superiors?

This is basically my issue. I've been intrigued by the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 especially after watching [GALAXY Note 10.1] Introducing Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 - YouTube!
Can I even get my productivity out of the Note to somewhat resemble the video. I believe S-Pen is kind of what I was waiting for from tablets to use for education, but like I said I am curious if it will actually be worth it if handwriting is poor or if I am not writing too many notes. And I say this again I prefer Android, but iPad seems to be ok for education features.

So, can someone please recommend me a good tablet strictly for educational purposes. Of course I will do other stuff on it occasionally, but I hope to make my studies its primary duty. Also I am sorry if this is the wrong section on the forum.

In my head I always liked the ASUS Transformer Prime, but because of my situation I am debating between Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and iPad. I also am very aware of the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity and the Google Nexus 7... Someone please guide me in the right direction.

Thanks again and sorry for the cluttered post.

kingbrowne

Apr 24, 2012
I have not had the privileged of playing with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, but it do appear from the ads to be specially design with your needs in mind. I think you should take a closer look.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I agree with kingbrowne. If the Galaxy Note 10.1 performs as well as the hype indicates, then I would try to find one in the store and spend some time hands-on, then go from there. It caught my eye too, and my first thought was that it might be great for students. I realize you are looking for more suggestions than I offer, but I also wanted to tell you that your post is not at all cluttered. It is very well written and clear, and other posters could take a lesson from it. Good luck in your search and career. :)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I got the little note, the 5.3" and it's great to be able to take notes on anything one needs to. The 10" is going to be great for you in school, it's very easy to write on it ! Go to a store where they sell it and try it!

$ForumRunner_20120825_002414.png

mojay

Aug 24, 2012
Thanks for posting the videos and all the other help. I agree I think the best way to know is to try it out and even give it a field test if possible, haha. But, if I could basically do what they show in the S Note or Educational Promo + the KnoApp on just standard pdf files I believe this will definitely be ideal for me.