Tablet/MID as CarPC

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I am also looking for Tablet for use in car, but need certain specs.

I have no headunit, using a carpc now, so I basically needs all functions. I will also crack it open and install it in the car, the install I have looks like this:
main.php

I will need, either built in functionality or accessory or addon for the following:
GPS
Wifi
3g/4g
Audio-out
Storage (USB, memorycard or whatever)
FM-Reciever (a must, since no headunit in car)
Bluetooth

Any ideas?
Most crucial is the FM-radio I guess, the rest most of them seem to have.
7-8" screen (as large as I can fit basically)

You're in Euro area right? What type of vehicle is that? What's going on with that screen? GPS or DVD player?

SweGUS

Aug 31, 2010
You're in Euro area right? What type of vehicle is that? What's going on with that screen? GPS or DVD player?

Yup, Stockholm/Sweden...

That is a 8,4 4:3 Lilliput 800x600 native resolution VGA monitor, ripped out of its casing, connected to a laptop, running Windows XP and basically everything, Spotify, navigation, FM, Internet, video, mp3 and so on.

Vehicle is MB SL600 -94:
main.php

Before the monitor installation the centre console looked like this:
main.php

So basically I am looking for a Tablet that will do all this, built in functions or addons/peripherals doesn't matter, but FM-reciever is crucial...

SweGUS

Aug 31, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Tab seemed perfect except for a bit expensive (would not be an issue if it had all features) and missing FM-reciever...

SweGUS

Aug 31, 2010
ICD Gemini seems perfect, only if specs could be verified, it could be released soon and the large screen would fit...

6apr10specoub244.jpg

6apr10oxb23549.jpg

6apr10spec07h5.jpg

Attachments

• $6apr10specoub244.jpg
    $6apr10specoub244.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 838
Last edited:

Diabolic

Sep 13, 2010
I have shortlisted 3 tablets, Samsung galaxy tab, Aigo N700, and olive pad Vt100, I am waiting for their release.

According to the specs you need, I think only the Samsung Galaxy Tab fits your specs, it is the only one with 512MB Ram.
If you don't need that much of Rams and can cater with 256MB Ram, then you can include other choices like the EV7 and the ViewSonic pad.
If you dont need 3G or phone capabilities, I recommend the new Archos 70 or 101

SweGUS

Aug 31, 2010
According to the specs you need, I think only the Samsung Galaxy Tab fits your specs, it is the only one with 512MB Ram.
If you don't need that much of Rams and can cater with 256MB Ram, then you can include other choices like the EV7 and the ViewSonic pad.
If you dont need 3G or phone capabilities, I recommend the new Archos 70 or 101

The Samsung Galaxy Tab is a sweet one, but lacks one function, FM-reciever...

3G is a must have feature, either built in or dongle, doesn't really matter.

So far the ICD Ultra or Gemini seem to fit the needs perfectly, but no info on release date, specs seem a bit hazy and no pricetag.

SweGUS

Aug 31, 2010
Coby MID810 seem to have FM-reciever aswell...

Otherwise still waiting for the ICD ones...

carpc01

Oct 17, 2010
Universal 7-Car PC China|Car Computer China|Carputer China|In Car PC|Vehicle PC|Auto PC|Dash Board PC|Car PC 2 Din
it has the smart carpc with the functions you listed : 3G,GPS,Memory is 1G and 2G,hard disk is 160G or 500G,support HD movie,and built in mp5,support all format music and video...

and it even plans to develop device which can work with andriod system:
Norpie is developing a new Car PC with Google Android System-Car PC China|Car Computer China|Carputer China|In Car PC|Vehicle PC|Auto PC|Dash Board PC|Car PC 2 Din

SweGUS

Aug 31, 2010
I already run a Windows CarPC and that one won't fit, too deep.
Apart from that, it does not have a FM-reciever, if running Windows, not an issue, but since I don't want to run Windows....

Next one, interesting, have sent them a e-mail for more information.

SweGUS

Aug 31, 2010
Yes, of course, but the thing is, since I know of two that exists and has "everything", the ICD ones, I don't see the point of getting one that does not has "full" functionality.