Tablet not booting, mistakenly i removed the execute permission on System folder.

ashok_fun123

May 3, 2013
Hi, Mistakenly I removed execute permission on System folder, after that its not booting. I tried with factory reset on recovery mode and couldn't able to use the adb shell and getting permission denied on /System/bin. Please suggest me how can provide execute permission back on System folder. Thanks in Advance, Ashok

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Can't suggest anything without knowing what device you have, and how you removed permissions, Most likely you need to restore your backup.

ashok_fun123

May 3, 2013
Can't suggest anything without knowing what device you have, and how you removed permissions, Most likely you need to restore your backup.
I'm having Coby kyros mid9742 rooted one and I removed the execute permission using root explorer :( . I haven't taken any backup, please suggest me, if any such backups available to do so. I kinda newbie Thanks,Ashok

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I'm having Coby kyros mid9742 rooted one and I removed the execute permission using root explorer :( . I haven't taken any backup, please suggest me, if any such backups available to do so. I kinda newbie Thanks,Ashok

That would require a lot of work to get the tablet working, you have no backup, Sounds like you didn't install CW recovery. a lot of files in system some have different permissions.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
That would require a lot of work to get the tablet working, you have no backup, Sounds like you didn't install CW recovery. a lot of files in system some have different permissions.
Remember when we found out that the backups weren't storing permissions? Wouldn't that bootable zip with a Coby signature (since he has no CWM) allow him to restore permissions?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Remember when we found out that the backups weren't storing permissions? Wouldn't that bootable zip with a Coby signature (since he has no CWM) allow him to restore permissions?

Hopefully that would work, you have a great memory.

ashok_fun123

May 3, 2013
Thank you. when I tried that got Signature verification failure error. These are steps I followed, started recover mode, performed factory reset and installed permission.zip using apply update from external storage. Thanks, Ashok

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Now that your tablet is running again, I hope you've learned a valuable lesson here: NEVER attempt to modify your tablet without having a backup!

With that said, you have two things to do: make a backup of the ROM using the root utility, and install ClockworkMod so you can make nandroid backups without having to connect the tablet to the PC as well.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
When I saw your first post I assumed you were toast. Fortunately we have a great group of helpers here who know a lot about your tablet. Now go do that backup. ;)

ashok_fun123

May 3, 2013
Now that your tablet is running again, I hope you've learned a valuable lesson here: NEVER attempt to modify your tablet without having a backup!

With that said, you have two things to do: make a backup of the ROM using the root utility, and install ClockworkMod so you can make nandroid backups without having to connect the tablet to the PC as well.
After the issue fixed, I found few system apk are missing in my system/app folder. Even download from Google play is failed with error "unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped" . and suspecting mediaprovider.apk not present in app folder due to that its failing. Though I moved all the missing system apk using root explorer, but still issue not resolved. My calendar and clock also missing. Can you suggest me how to get this system app back on? Thanks, Ashok

ashok_fun123

May 3, 2013
After the issue fixed, I found few system apk are missing in my system/app folder. Even download from Google play is failed with error "unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped" . and suspecting mediaprovider.apk not present in app folder due to that its failing. Though I moved all the missing system apk using root explorer, but still issue not resolved. My calendar and clock also missing. Can you suggest me how to get this system app back on? Thanks, Ashok
Found the solution after moding the missed application its started working . chmod 644 /system/app/Filename.apk Thanks, Ashok