Tablet S - DLNA Experiences - WM12

Mister_Magic

Oct 27, 2011
I wanted to start a thread where people can discuss their experiences in setting up a DLNA network using the Tablet S. - Especially as it has exotic features built in. "Throw" for example...

I've setup a network myself using two TV's, the Tablet S and a windows 7 machine running WM12 as the Media Server.

Initial experiences so far allows me to throw music around the network no problem.

Videos on the other hand are a bit more difficult.

The DLNA software on the Tablet S is only allowing the default Video Player to be associated to movie files it finds on the media server, even though I have MX Video Player installed, it can't play the files from the DLNA network. - Meaning 90% of files found on the network are not playable as sony's Video Player doesn't play most files.

Anyone else have any similar experiences to share?

CheerfulLuke

Oct 24, 2011
I have the same experience myself and have another question to add. Has anyone found a streaming service (Amazon mp3, google beta, spotify, music unlimited, ect) that also has dlna support? Movie bandwidth might be tough but we should be able to stream streamed music... If anyone has a solution that will have my many thanks!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

Mister_Magic

Oct 27, 2011
Okay, well just to share my own experiences...

I've managed to a system setup that works...

The media server on my computer at home is the Serviio DLNA media server This is geared especially for Sony DLNA devices, though as yet no built in support for the Tablet S.

However in conjunction with the Android App - SoftMedia Player: SoftMedia Player - Android app on AppBrain It can stream to your Tablet S

So, once you have both these gizmos installed, it works a treat.

..Also SoftMedia Player can save shared media from your computer directly onto your android machine through wifi.

And you can stream to another Media Player installed on your Tablet S. I have installed MX Media Player, this can handle DivX, Avi, MP4, MKS etc. etc. Unlike the Sony's Video Player, which only handles obscure formats.

I hope this helps anyone in need of a solution.

Last edited:

jmac1

Nov 5, 2011
I thought SoftMedia Player could help, since I'm also using Serviio with all Sony equipment but I still can't throw .mov files to my networked Sony TV or BluRay player. how does SoftMedia allow you to do that? Thanks.

wippet

Nov 7, 2011
Tried Serviio - no joy, my iPhone plays all my MKV TV shows fine through remote potato, I got the same application for the Tablet, no joy so far, I can think of one place to throw it...

TJC

Nov 19, 2011
I am new to forums, yet......I am unable to even connect my DLNA from my tablet to my home network. I completed the Windows media steps and also the window 7 steps. I turned off my Norton to make sure that was not the reason. I am connected to the network, then go into DLNA and try to connect and it states (No servers found) I have tried everything.

Does anyone know the solution i might be missing?

Thankd

SilverEye

Oct 8, 2011
Guys, you need to download this app from the market "bubbleUPnP".. with this and the videomx app, I managed to throw everything to my samsung tv..
Give it a go!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Good thread. I haven't tried doing much with mine yet. The tv sync'd automatically and the remote works.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

wippet

Nov 7, 2011
Tried Bubbleupnp, gets close but still no good.

I have PS3MediaServer installed, sharing mkv's, I installed Bubbleupnp and video mx + the decoder add-on. I open Bubble, select PS3MEDIASERVER as the device, find my video and try to open with videomx. on the pc. the transcoding buffer starts to load up but then I get the "sorry this video cannot be played" error as usual.

Having the buffer load to 14mb/s is the closest its come so far, surely there is a way to stream mkv's!?

bluecheetah72

Dec 19, 2011
My earlier experience of DLNA has been with WMP 12 under W7 as Server, and a Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray player and I find WMP 12 is great for my files. Only MKV video file streaming was compromised so I converted these files to DIVXHD.

The Sony DLNA application would be fine except the local video player won't play my Divx files and you cannot specify an alternative.

I have tried VLC Direct Pro with PC VLC application, Skifta with PC application and the simpler ES File Explorer.

All work to a certain extent with Music, Photo and Video streaming but ES File Explorer is the easiest to implement and allows the Video Player to be manually selected for video files. I have tried it on my Samsung Galaxy S phone, my Sony tablet S and a cheap 7 inch WonderMedia Tablet as clients and it works well on all of them.

Skifta works well on the phone and well on the Sony except it won't see some video files in a particular folder (the Galaxy S does!). I am struggling to get Skifta working over the mobile network so it can be used anywhere (you don't need the PC application to stream wireless on the local network.) Vplayer is best for my Video (720p Divx) but MX is nearly as good.

HarryP

Jan 3, 2012
Have you managed to 'throw' media to your BDP-S370 from your tablet? My tablet cannot find the blu-ray player. Is there a special setting that I need?

Manky

Jan 8, 2012
Guys, if you use a ps3 to watch your movies or stream music then try skifta which its free from the market. It works a treat. Just follow the instructions and load it on your PC and tablet and away you go. I have had no problem with this app and will also work on any other android device.

bluecheetah72

Dec 19, 2011
Have you managed to 'throw' media to your BDP-S370 from your tablet? My tablet cannot find the blu-ray player. Is there a special setting that I need?

The Tablet App is only a client so you need a DLNA server app such as Skifta. The S370 then sees the Tablet as a Media Server, and then you browse for Music, Video or Photos in the same way as with the PC as a Media Server - you can use the Remote Device application to operate the S370. You can't "throw" media at the S370 from the Tablet.

Last edited:

ThoricCLA

Dec 22, 2012
I have the new Tablet Xperia (model SGPT121GB) and cannot get DLNA to work. For the original Tablet S (predecessor tablet) there was a DLNA app, but that's been removed and apparently the DLNA stuff is all accessible from within the Walkman and Movies apps. In Movies there's a Devices icon, which when clicked searches for networked devices but it doesn't find anything. I have two home PCs (1 desktop, 1 laptop), both WIndows 7, and I've followed guides for setting up Media Sharing, which is supposed to work as a DLNA server for my stuff. The tablet cannot see either machine, and they can't see my tablet. I suspect my tablet needs the DLNA client service initialising/activating, but without a DLNA app I don't see how? Anyone else having problems with DLNA on the new Xperia tablet?

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
No help here. You are the 1st person I have heard of with an Xperia. Can't you look in your file directory? How do you like it otherwise?