Tablet Speed Question

corvairbob

Apr 11, 2015
i have 2 tablets both running the same app. tinycam app for my cameras. the xcody tablet seems to run the cameras much smoother than the npole tablet. the xcody runs 5.1 the npole runs 6.0 .

the xcody has a quad core-a33 processor and the npole has the ultra octa-a83 processor. so what processor is faster? the xcody has 1gb ram 16gb rom the npole has 2gb ram and 32gb rom. the xcody will not let me ad anymore app the npole will the xcody about every 3 to 6 weeks stops do to youtube issues. i have only tinycam app installed and active on the tablets to increase the speed it works on the scody not the npole.

so doe anyone have some ideas for getting the npole to run faster? they both are connected to a wifi extender about 2 ft from them and the extender is hard wired to the network. so that is not the issue. i'm leaning to the processor. thanks

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
More cores equate to better performance. Thus the UltraOcta processor will be faster since it can handle eight instructions at a time, while the A33 is limited to just four. Raw processing speeds don't mean much these days, and Allwinner doesn't specify the clock speed of the Cortex A7 in the A33 chip, but it's unlikely the A33 chip pushes much more than 1.3GHz. The UltraOcta is rated at 1.8GHz.

The big performance bottleneck though is with the RAM. More RAM means better performance, simply because the device can hold more apps in RAM for fast switching. That said, if you want the tablets to run faster, you'll need new tablets: you've simply hit the limits of the hardware.

corvairbob

Apr 11, 2015
thanks for that reply. but the thing is the one that is slower is a newer machine. i installed the z-device tech app and the npole tables is about 2 times faster than the xcody. so that is what got me to ask this question. and according to the website the npole is said to be a better tablet than the scody. so your guress is as good as mine at this point. it very well could be something is actually wrong with the npole unit that makes it run slower. again thanks for the help on this one.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Android 6.0 requires more resources than Android 5.1.1, which is why your Android 6.0 device runs slower even though it has a faster processor and more RAM.

corvairbob

Apr 11, 2015
ok glad to know that. and that sucks being i got it just for faster speed. so then maybe i should be looking for another 5.0 or 5.1 device. would 4.x do better than 5.x then. being all i run on it is one app and have turned off everything else. thanks for that information.

i have 2 other tablets that are 4.4.2 tablets 1 quad core a33 and 1 a polaroid and that does not say the processor. and they run way slower than the xcody 5.0 . so that is one reason i went with this 6.0 tablet, with more ram to get the speed. so maybe i will get another xcody and hope it runs better. the xcody i have now gives me tizzy fits with youtube. it comes up about every 3 to 4 weeks and tells me i have to either disable it or enable it. i have cleared the cache and just about everything i found that caused this issue, to try to get the tablet to not give me this error. when i get it i have to clear it and it is one quick press until i get to youtube's app and then either enable or disable it. that take time to get past that error as it pops up after every press. i have to be faster than the error.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Quite honestly, you're barking up the wrong tree here. If you're going to get a tablet, get a NEW one, not one running software that is - as of the date I write this - four to seven years out of date. The minimum version of Android I recommend for a usable tablet is 7.1.1. You'd do even better however if you can find a tablet running Android 8.1 or later. Whatever tablet you do get, it needs to have at least 2GB of RAM, but 4GB is even better.

I do know that my Lenovo Tab 4 currently running Android 7.1.1 (I skipped the upgrade to 8.0) runs YouTube without a problem in 2GB of RAM. But my tablet is also a couple years old and is a secondary device; as long as it can run the few apps I bother to use on it I'm fine.

corvairbob

Apr 11, 2015
traveler it sounds like your saying 2 things here. you say 6.0 requires more resources to run and that the older android si faster then you say to get a new one with 7 or 8 android. so that is really confusing. my phone is 7.0 and it runs that tinycam app slower than the tablets but i figure it is due to all the other things the phone needs to do. so i may go get a new one and if it is slow just take it back that is maybe the only way to find a unit that doesn't so lagging video. thanks

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Newer tablets will have more RAM and a faster processor, which will offset Android requiring more resources to do the same things. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

In any event, if your phone never saw an update past Android 7, then your phone is three to four years old. Time to update, because from personal experience, a new device will positively scream compared to what you have now. Case in point, back in 2017 I upgraded from a Nexus 6 with 3GB of RAM and a Snapdragon 805 processor to a Pixel 2 XL with 4GB of RAM and a Snapdragon 835 processor. I play Star Trek Timelines, which is a very resource-intensive game. My Pixel 2 XL has no trouble with it. My Nexus 6 has some lag but it at least runs.

As to your app, when was it last updated? Newer versions tend to be optimized for newer devices, which could also help explain the issues with the slowdowns you are encountering.

corvairbob

Apr 11, 2015
thanks travler. i contacted the developer and the app is up to date. i'm not concerned if the spp is not running faster on the phone. i was just confused becasue on another forum everyone told me to get android 6 or 7 or even 8 as that would run the app faster. so i got 6.1 and the tablet is fast, if i start an app i open fast. but the only app i'm interested in is this tinycam monitor app and i was really surprised when i got one and install the cameras and they are slower that on my phone. and way slower than the older 5.1 tablet.

like i said i have 3 other tablets and those ran that app slower and the tablets themselves were way slower so that was telling me the android version was to slow for the app, and confirmed by the other forum. so i get this new wer tablet with a higher android version and more ram and storage and it is slower. that about floored me.

i did ask the same question on the other forum but no one has yet replied to it. so that is telling they now are stumped. so what i will now do is go to a store like best buy or walmart and get a brand spanking new tablet and install this app and see if it runs faster. and if i can install the app in the store and run it that will be better as then if it fails to run better, then i can forget that tablet. thanks

corvairbob

Apr 11, 2015
ok update. because the npole was not running as fast as the xgody i had nothing to lose so i did a complete factory reset. and then installed the norad app just for grins. that app seemed to run slow but i figure it was due to i was using it thru the internet. so for grins i re installed tinycam and then i set up 2 cameras. the 2 cams i setup were the ones that ran slower , they then ran at normal speed. i was impressed. so after a few days of setting up 2 at a time i finally got 12 cameras setup and it is running good so far. the screen i can see at about any angle unlike the xgody that i had to have at a funny angle to see the screen.

so for now i think i will call this finished. it may be possible that the guy i got it from did not doa complete restore and just sid he did. there was a lot of files on the thing. plus he may have turned off something the tablet needed to run good. so now it has a complete factory restore and i left it alone for the setup and figiured if i put 2 at a time into it i will have lost nothing but time. well it's working. thanks much for the help! if it again turns to running slow then i will just go back to the xgody unit. thanks all for the great help.

corvairbob

Apr 11, 2015
thanks it is on the second full day with all the cameras and still doing good. again thanks to all for the help