Tablet suggestions for college student

toopsie

Oct 9, 2011
Hi all, I'm a college student and I have found that carrying my laptop around all day just isn't working for me.
What I'm looking for-
1. USB port for a keyboard or the flash drive I carry
2. 8-16GB I don't need too much memory on it
3. Full size ports would be a plus because I can't go out and spend 35+ on adapters for each thing I need
4. 3.0 or 3.1 is a must
5. Needs to be able to view power point
6. between 350-500

Any help is much appreciated!

toopsie

Oct 9, 2011
I need a USB port, I can't go without having one. Ill just make it easy, I'm down to two- Toshiba Thrive, and the Acer Transformer.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
The Thrive has full size USB I believe, with the Transformer you will need the Keyboard dock, which has two. Problem is it's about the size and weight of a netbook when docked. The Thrive isn't the smallest or lightest tablet but quite capable.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

toopsie

Oct 9, 2011
Yeah thats the problem I was running into. I think the Thrive will be my choice but I figured I would see opinions from people who have experience in this field, I have never used a tablet before.

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
I need a USB port, I can't go without having one. Ill just make it easy, I'm down to two- Toshiba Thrive, and the Acer Transformer.

You mentioned full size ports. Not sure what that is. Also did you mean Asus Transformer here? I have not seen an Acer with that designation.

I was under the impression that a USB port was a USB port ..which is included on the Haipad I mentioned.

If the USB on the Haipad is somehow not the right size, I would like to know ..as I have it ordered. I too need a USB to read flash drives and such.

Thanks.

Last edited:

toopsie

Oct 9, 2011
I just reviewed the info it gave and I didnt see a usb port, and i have never heard of the brand Hiapad I know computers pretty much in and out and I just wanted a brand i was more familiar with. I also didnt like the screen size or the 2.2 that the Hiapad had. But it was most likely Asus i get those mixed up sometimes.

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
Yep, it is there ..
Slot List: MicroSD *1 (up to: 32GB), HDMI *1, USB Slot *1, 3.5mm Headphone Jack *1,

Even though I have ordered the Haipad, I too am having second thoughts ..as I am having problems finding a cover that will fit an 8" that uses 16x10 screen format. Plenty of covers for the 7" tablets, but when you go to a wider 8" or 10" size ..the selections for a cover are limited.

toopsie

Oct 9, 2011
Yeah, that was why I decided on the 10.1", there are more things in the aftermarket for that size/common brand

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Yeah thats the problem I was running into. I think the Thrive will be my choice but I figured I would see opinions from people who have experience in this field, I have never used a tablet before.

Another thing I like about the Thrive is the relaceable battery. If you find yourself away from power for an extended time you could just pick up a 2nd battery, very cool.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

ritachung

Sep 23, 2011
what about this one?Huawei S7 Slim 7 Inch Android Tablet PC + 3G WCDMA + GSM Phone,
General 2G: Network GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network: HSDPA 900 / 2100
Processor: Qualcomm QSD8650 Snapdragon processor, 1GHz
Memory: RAM: 512MB;ROM:512MB
Storage: NAND-Flash:8 GBB; MicroSD (TransFlash) up to 32 GB external
OS:android 2. 2, support Flash Player 10. 1 Camera: Front: 3. 2MP, Back: 0.3MP, Video-calling
USB: microUSB v2. 0

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I have an S7, not the slim, and it is arguably the best Chinese tablet in its time. Announced, but not yet available, is the Huawei Mediapad, a 7'' Android 3.2 tablet that honestly sounds appealing. Too small, I think, for this particular need, but still interesting.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

Androidicus

Sep 4, 2011
To the OP:

The biggest complaint about the Thrive is its screen. It doesn't use IPS like the iPad, so the viewing angles are not the greatest according to many people. However, it's the ONLY thing people don't like about the Thrive. It does in fact have a full size USB port and not mini-USB. This means no adapters like you said. Just plug 'n play, more or less.

Skip the cheap Chinese made crap :p

I'm serious. If the OP has the funds, get a brand name like the Thrive, or Transformer. Better quality, better specs and most importantly better service/coverage if something goes wrong. He can take it into a big box store e.g. Best Buy, if something happens to it and not have to ship it back to a seller, or manufacturer in China.

toopsie

Oct 9, 2011
Thank you very much Androidicus, this was perfect. I think I am going with the Thrive, the Transformer was counter-productive in my situation. The screen on the Thrive won't be a big deal to me, so I think it's perfect for my needs.