Tablet tethering via PDAnet

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
PDAnet has released a beta of their software to tether an android tablet to an android phone via bluetooth DUN (dial up networking). I tried it with my Droid X but couldn't get it to work. I'm not sure if the app didn't work as a whole or if it was just because of the tethering lockdown that verizon included in the new gingerbread update....

You put the app on both the phone and the tablet... pair the two via bluetooth... set the phone as the server and the app allows you to change the proxy settings on the tablets browser in effect forwarding the data connection of your phone to tablet

Thought I'd post it and give heads up incase someone else would like to give it a try...

beastman

May 8, 2011
It works on my Sprint HTC Evo (not rooted, running gingerbread) with my Viewsonic GTablet (rooted, CM7)

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Thanks for the tip

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

DesertDirt

Jun 9, 2011
DX on Gingerbread, TF on 3.1. I believe the key is to restart your DX and TF after installation > pair then connect DX and TF > enable PDANet server on DX > enable PDANet client on TF > Setup network proxy on TF > Finally do step 2 and tap your DX In the discovered list.

Last edited:

beastman

May 8, 2011
They had an update yesterday. Don't know what it fixed

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

gail50

Oct 17, 2011
Hello,
Can you give me a little bit more information on how you did the bluetooth connection. I have tmobile and a coby 7015 and would like to tether with my cell phone.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
it's going to depend on your actual phone/handset more so than your carrier.. what kind of phone do you have? I'm not familiar with that model of the Coby Kyros.. does it even have bluetooth?

brit5467

Nov 8, 2011
I'm just learning. Actually still waiting to get my Thrive via UPS, so I'm no expert.

But was researching how to do this and someone on HTC site said to make sure once you've downloaded the app to both tablet and phone (and to make sure it was the tablet version and not just PDANet), that he had to make a small change to the directions which was making sure bluetooth was enabled on both before starting up the app.

kmdames

Nov 30, 2011
PDANet tablet apps are apparently now being blocked by Sprint. I downloaded the regular PDANet app a year or so back and use it on my laptop occasional, but browsing for the apps now I don't see them in the market. Does anyone know how to get the app from the tablet to the phone or another way to get the app installed on the phone without going through the market? Thanks!

seanote

Dec 1, 2011
I've done all that and I can get paired with phone and tablet but can't get connected by bluetooth. When I go to tap on "Droid" in discovery list, it tells me to set my proxy again, and again, and again. Can't connect. Phone is Generation 1 Droid by Motorola running 2.2.2 android system. Tablet is Archos 70 firmware 2.3.26 and android 2.2.1.

I am looking at taking this unit back if I can't get 3g on it. Not too many Wi-Fi's where I go. The G9's will be out in January and they have a G9 stick in them that will let you buy minutes like the pay to go phones.

Any help here?

Thanks
Rick
You can email me at [email protected]

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
PDANet tablet apps are apparently now being blocked by Sprint. I downloaded the regular PDANet app a year or so back and use it on my laptop occasional, but browsing for the apps now I don't see them in the market. Does anyone know how to get the app from the tablet to the phone or another way to get the app installed on the phone without going through the market? Thanks!

you can get the app from the Amazon market.. or if you have the app already installed on a device.. just use the app bakckup feature that's incorperated into most file managers... I suggest Filexpert or Astro.. if you use Filexpert, and have it on both devices and are on the same wifi network, you can just navigate to the backed up app file and send it to the other device over wifi, a point of notice though.. you'll have to set the recieving device into recieve mode... MUCH easier just to get it from the Amazon market.. but there are options if you need to go the other route..

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
I've done all that and I can get paired with phone and tablet but can't get connected by bluetooth. When I go to tap on "Droid" in discovery list, it tells me to set my proxy again, and again, and again. Can't connect. Phone is Generation 1 Droid by Motorola running 2.2.2 android system. Tablet is Archos 70 firmware 2.3.26 and android 2.2.1.

I am looking at taking this unit back if I can't get 3g on it. Not too many Wi-Fi's where I go. The G9's will be out in January and they have a G9 stick in them that will let you buy minutes like the pay to go phones.

Any help here?

Thanks
Rick
You can email me at [email protected]

Is your Droid rooted?... it may be Verizon blocking tethering... they got to be pretty well Nazi's about teathering apps in the last few updates for most all their devices...

ChuckAKeeler

Feb 14, 2012
DX on Gingerbread, TF on 3.1. I believe the key is to restart your DX and TF after installation > pair then connect DX and TF > enable PDANet server on DX > enable PDANet client on TF > Setup network proxy on TF > Finally do step 2 and tap your DX In the discovered list.

I can't seem to get the Asus Tablet and my Droid X to connect via Bluetooth. They pair and connect but then drop. So I can't get to the configuration. Any thoughts on this?

Work4nutz

Feb 21, 2012

you could try to go to PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android and get the linux/windows version and it should install on phone when plugged in
as for tablet ver. i got it off market just today