tablet turns off by itself

kkharch

Jun 21, 2012
My Sony tablet S had turned of by itself twice within last 10 days. I can only turn it on after plugging in and waiting for a couple of minutes. As it turns on, I can see that battery's less than 30% full.

Is it normal? And is it normal for Sony tablet S to turn off automatically when not using it for a day or two?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum kkharch

You're correct, it should not be turning itself off. I have seen this happen because of an app that was not behaving itself but when I have seen it it was usually a little more consistent that what you describe.. I'm wondering if your Sony would turn on by holding the power button for 30 seconds or so rather than having to plug in the charger.

Even though I suspect an app is at fault it's difficult to pin down. Make certain you double check to see that all the apps you have installed are up to date as a bug in an app may at some point get fixed and the problem would suddenly go away.

bkar81

Sep 20, 2012
Hi, I am having the same problem with my 5 days old Tablet - Orkia PP555 running on ICS..

Please help..

As said by kkharch, when I plugin, the battery shows more than 30%, one time I saw 51%. Is there any way I can check which app causes this..
But I noticed twice that, when I tried to update an app from Play store, the tablet got shutdown by itself. 1 time it just got switched off by pressing the power button, the rest of the times, I was forced to put it into power for atleast few seconds until it gets loaded till the lock screen..

More over my tablet battery drains very quickly - I am able to use it only for an hour or so even if it is 100% charged and my device gets heated up...

Is there any work around / solution for this?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
@bkar

Could you try doing that on a different WiFi to see if that's the problem?

bkar81

Sep 20, 2012
I think it might be a problem, but what could be the problem in that wifi?

Once it got shut down when I started to play a movie in MX player.. So I don't think the wifi could be a problem. Will there be anything else?

Please suggest.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I think it might be a problem, but what could be the problem in that wifi?

Once it got shut down when I started to play a movie in MX player.. So I don't think the wifi could be a problem. Will there be anything else?

Please suggest.

I was looking at the shutdown when trying to update an app part and a bed WiFi connection might have been a factor but maybe not. I do think you need to tale a close look at all the apps you have installed, especially widgets to see if something else is causing the problem. I have seen tons of shutdown and reboot issues caused by a badly behaving app.

bkar81

Sep 20, 2012
Actually yes, today also my tab got shutdown when i am trying to update an app at 35% battery. When I rebooted, it tried to continue the update and again got shutdown.

I connected to main source and tried to switch it on, and viola, no prob, it tried to install Adobe AIR, but due to insufficient memory, it didnt get installed. So is this the reason for its initial shutdown too???

thekatreads

Jul 18, 2013
Hello.
I'm not sure if this thread is still active, but I hope someone could help me. I recently bought an Android tablet (Jelly bean), and I am encountering the same problem. Even if the battery is high, (say 90%), it automatically turns off. Once I turn it on, the battery state is already at 70% and the back of the tablet is kind of hot.
I've tried installing the battery app, to check what running apps is causing this. On the hardware option, it says "Radio" -- it consumed the battery 80%. and I'm thinking that's the reason why. When I click the settings, the Wifi options appear. But the problem is, my wifi is not turned on. I don't know how to solve this problem and I'm so frustrated with it.
Sigh.
I hope someone could help me. Thanks in advance :) :p

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum
My guess is that it's shutting down due to overheating as a s safety measure. I would back up your data and do a factory reset to see if that helps. Otherwise you may have a hardware problem that need to be fixed.