Tablet vs Smartphone - Not just the size, right?

Jan 20, 2012
Hello everyone!
Just a quick one, I own a HTC Wildfire and I'm thinking about upgrading either to a newer smartphone (maybe the Galaxy Note) or to a Tablet (maybe EEE Transformer - NOT the prime, maybe the one coming in May or the one before ;) ).

:confused: THE QUESTION
However, my question is, besides the actual size, what are the main differences? I mean, are there any just-for-tablets apps you wouldn't get on a smartphone and vice-versa? Is there any particular reason YOU would suggest buying a tablet rather than a smartphone (or viceversa)?

:cool: DISCLAIMER
I know this is relative, and I'm just trying to make up my mind before buying something I won't use as much as I need, so please avoid flames and contribute politely! :)

:rolleyes: SAY THANK YOU
Thank you in advance!
Cheers,
-Marco

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The only real differences are:

1. Size (though the largest phones and smallest tablets get into the 5" range).
2. Data - phones have it only some tablets do.
3. Subsidies - phones can be subsidized on contract, only some tablets with data can.
4. As far as apps, that is entirely up to the developer of the app. Essentially there is no reason an app won't work on both a phone and a tablet. Particularly with ICS on the horizon unifying Android on phones and tablets.
5. Keyboards - some tablets come with keyboard dock options. Phones generally do not but can use keyboards.
6. Ports - tablets are more likely to have a wider range of ports than a phone.

Pretty much if you need a phone a tablet isn't going to replace it. If you need a larger readable device with keyboard capabilities and prot options a phone isn't going to be the best option.

If you need both you are looking at a Dell or the Galaxy Note.

Last edited:

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Pretty much what J515OP said. For me it is this.
A Android phone and tablet are pretty much the same thing with exceptions.

Tablets do almost everything that a phone will do but with a much larger screen, except make quality phone calls over cellular service. There are some tablets as J515OP said that you can get data through providers for, but these do not include phone calls, you can do voip with these devices but voip quality is seriously lacking compared to cell, and voip calls will count against your data use unless you have unlimited data. And even then most unlimited packages are not truly unlimited.

Apps are hit and miss, depending on your device. Some apps just wont work on some device. I use Google Voice on all my phones but when I bought a ZTE Score I discovered that when I tried to find GV in the market on the phone it was not present. Google has the market set up where it sees the device you are on and only displays the apps that they know/believe will work properly on it so you might have app XYZ on your phone and love it to death, but you won't be able to find it when you look for it on your tablet. Again it just depends on the device.

The other thing is if you purchase a non Google approved device, chances are it will not come with the TRUE Android Market on it, but will have some other lesser market and or you can download or side load the Amazon Android App Market.
My brother had one of these non approved tablets, side loading the app did not work, the app would open then close. You couldn't even look through the market, just opened then closed. Same thing with my Kindle Fire, sideload it and it just opens and closes.
I have never seen a Android phone that did not come with the AM.
So with out further babble, it really just depends on what you need.

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
It depends on whether you want to make calls from it. If you are looking for an overglorified phone, then get a smartphone. If you are looking for basic portable computer/reading device, then get a tablet. Although calling from a tablet is possible, its kind of awkward...particularly on the go. Can you imagine yourself standing in line at a shopping mall and talking on the phone from a tablet? :)

Jan 20, 2012
Thank you everybody, this is way more than expected. I got three replies covering pretty much all my doubts! :)
I do like big displays, but yeah, calling with a tablet would be indeed awkward. Though, should I eventually go for the Galaxy Note, the situation would be almost the same.
Again, thank you for your replies, I think I might really go for the note then, I read a wide range of apps is available, covering both HD apps and normal phone apps, so that's what I need.
What is the other DELL "phonblet" you mentioned, J515OP?
Cheers from the shaking Milan, Italy! :D

Jan 20, 2012
Oh I see, thank you :) Yeah, I do like the Note better actually. From every point of view. Only thing is, I hope to find a good deal on the net, I can't stick to a contract because of my job, and I don't feel like paying 700€ for a phone, although is a crazy one! :)

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Isn't there a phone out there with a 5 and a half inch screen. A guy at work has one, we were talking about phones and he pulled this small tablet out of his pocket and showed it to me, looked pretty nice though small until he told me it was his cell phone, ok I thought, now it is kinda big. Seriously this thing had to be 5.5 to 6 inches.
Getting a tape out I would say it was a 6 inch phone, I don't remember the brand but he said it was free with a 3 year contract.

While I would never sign a 3 year contract for a phone this phone screen wise was maybe a half inch smaller in width than my Kindle Fire and maybe 1 inch shorter in length.

Last edited:

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Only other devices I know in that range are the ARCHOS tabs, although they technically aren't phones; so I'm not exactly sure what the phone that guy had would be.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
I think he said it was a Samsung of some kind (not sure though) . But it was a big bugger for a phone.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
By George I think that is it. Looks about right any way. Just short of 5.5 at 5.3 inches. It is the right general shape, his phone had had a rubber wrap on it.

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
As far as I read, Dell Streak 5 has been discontinued. As a result its probably not the best thing to buy anymore. I think the only tablet/smartphone with a 5'' screen left is the new Samsung Galaxy Note

Jan 20, 2012
Ok, I've been reading around quite enough to understand I'm gonna go for the Note, however, especially since I read about it in the last two links, what about the battery? I mean, I usually charge my phone every night, but does the battery last at least 20hrs, with random phone calls and almost always connected to 3g, even though I'm not actually browsing...

edit: I googled it, and found interesting stuff! For those interested:
1 - http://blog.************/samsung-galaxy-note-battery-life-test-over-matches-the-nokia-n9/
2 - http://androidadvices.com/increase-galaxy-note-n7000-battery-life/
3 - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-note-1039199/review?artc_pg=9

So I guess it's enough for my needs..

Last edited: