Tablet with keyboard

lambada

Sep 5, 2013
I'm after an Android tablet with a keyboard. For various reasons which I won't get into, I don't want a Chromebook, laptop or a netbook.

I will mainly use the device for browsing, emails, watching movies and listening to music while travelling. I have a budget of $300 USD including the keyboard.

My requirements in descending order of importance are the following

1. Keyboard that can be clipped on to the tablet both when tablet is in use and when it is being stored - I understand that I will probably have to buy this separately.
2. Play Store compatible
3. 10 inch screen - preferably 4:3 orientation
4. Strong manufacturer / mod community support - mainly for Android updates
5. Decent Wi-Fi signal
6. GPS
7. Minimum of 5hrs battery life

Any recommendations? Thanks.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

I see 2 issues with your specs. I'm almost certain you won't find a 10" tablet with 4:3 aspect ratio. They are mostly 16:9 or 16:10. A 4:3 would be like the old tube based square screen monitors.

Asus has some tablets with optional detachable keyboards but you may be a little light on the cost for all you are wanting to get.

Another option would be to get a blue tooth keyboard, otherwise the ASUS Transformers fit the bill.

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Hi,lambada, according to your tablet requirements, i think one tablet is very suitable for you , it is PiPO MAX M9 pro Tablet PC , Quad Core Android 4.2 RK3188 ,10.1 Inch 1920*1200 Capacitive Touch Screen, support Play Store, WIFI, GPS, Bluetooth, Dual Camera, RAM 2GB+ROM 32GB, sells very hot in the market, has many good reviews, hope you can like it . Have a nice day !

lambada

Sep 5, 2013
Welcome to the forum

I see 2 issues with your specs. I'm almost certain you won't find a 10" tablet with 4:3 aspect ratio. They are mostly 16:9 or 16:10. A 4:3 would be like the old tube based square screen monitors.

Asus has some tablets with optional detachable keyboards but you may be a little light on the cost for all you are wanting to get.

Another option would be to get a blue tooth keyboard, otherwise the ASUS Transformers fit the bill.

Thanks for your reply. i know the ipad is way above my budget and is not an Android tablet but im quite sure it has a 4:3 screen.

The Asus transformer looks ideal but too expensive.

im prepared to settle for a case with wireless keyboard instead of a clip-on keyboard. can you recommend a tablet + keyboard bundle?

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
The ASUS Transformers are exactly what you are looking for (except aspect ratio). The connected keyboard/dock not only provides more functionality than a BT keyboard, it also almost doubles battery life and adds additional I/O options. I like that the folded dock protects the screen, so I don't have to use a case. You can get a 32GB TF300T on Amazon for $400 with dock. I don't think you will find many 10" tablets that meet your #2 & 4 requirements for $220 in order to add an $80 BT kbd.

lambada

Sep 5, 2013
The ASUS Transformers are exactly what you are looking for (except aspect ratio). The connected keyboard/dock not only provides more functionality than a BT keyboard, it also almost doubles battery life and adds additional I/O options. I like that the folded dock protects the screen, so I don't have to use a case. You can get a 32GB TF300T on Amazon for $400 with dock. I don't think you will find many 10" tablets that meet your #2 & 4 requirements for $220 in order to add an $80 BT kbd.

Despite being a bit above my budget, I was almost sold on the Asus TF300T until I read about numerous incidents of screens cracking for no reason. The victims claim that the dock puts too much pressure on the screen. Admittedly this hasn't happened to everyone but I'm not prepared to take the risk.

I've also ruled out the possibility of getting a keyboard case as this can only be used on a table.

Seems like I'll have to wait for something that meets my requirements.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm fairly convinced that the majority of people with TF300 keyboard equipped cracked screens didn't treat their tabs with enough respect. Same thing happened top people with other Transformer models and seems to stem mostly from picking the unit up by the table rather than the dock. That's a user problem not a tablet problem. The instructions specifically warn against picking thew tablet up that way,. but who reads instruction/ ;)