Tablets for Kids on a car trip

Ekozilla

Apr 13, 2011
I cross posted this in the main tablet discussion forum also, but figured since you all are intimately familiar with the Cobys, you may be able to help..

I am going on a multiple day car trip with my 7,6, and 4 year old. I am looking to replace the dvd players we have with tablets that I can load with videos and music, and simple games like angry birds, flight control, pew pew, etc.

I am looking for something cheap since I need to buy 3, and decent battery life is important since we will only be able to charge them at night.

I was looking at the coby kyros mid7015 and the mid7024. Also have considered the nook color.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Just buy the MID7015 and you'll be fine after you root and choose either OEM, two rooted ROM here. YOu and your kids will have a ball with them! I taking mine on trip myself soon..

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I'm happy you came to androidtablets.net for you questions but please only post something once. Posting this more than once makes clutter and harder for people to respond to you.

tovokas

Mar 19, 2011
My five year old LOVES my 7015 - it's amazing how smoothly she works her apps...

But you will need to root and apply the graphics fix-it's not difficult but can be a bit intimidating at first.

Also battery life will always be an issue, but if you get a car adapter that allows you to plug in standard plugs, you should be able to survive. :)

Sent from my MID7015A using Android Tablet Forum

worm9110

Feb 20, 2011
This is same reason why I have 3 MID7015As. I have 3 kids and I use them in my wife's SUV for mostly watching videos, each with own head set on vacation trips. I found these better than purchasing builtin DVD player on roof or builtin headrests players. A lot cheaper alternative and easy to replace if outdated or broken.

eulogy69

Mar 15, 2011
i took mine on a 13 hour flight i got a portable battery for a cell phone that matched the mid7015s charger plug i used on the plane and charged them both when i had a layover it worked like a champ and never died on me

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Ekozilla

Apr 13, 2011
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered one on Amazon yesterday, will play with rooting it and getting a ROM on it this weekend and test it out.

Eulogy, can you expand on what cell phone battery you got and how you replaced the battery? I thought it was hard wired?

I've read good things about both Watery Kyros and the Kyros Honeycomb mod. For what I want it to do, is there one that would be better suited?

eulogy69

Mar 15, 2011
use the honeycomb one hes putting alot of work into it and its alot faster then stock rom plus it looks better what i ment was an external battery that you plug into the charger port when its pluged in the kyros charges its internal i get 2 charges per charge on the external bat

LarryS

Feb 19, 2011
Both tipstir (HC) AND l_n (Watery) & others have put a lot of time & effort into these ROMs. I actually switch back and forth, but get the best performance & CM score with a modified Watery v1. 2a.

Sent from my Kyros 7015 using the Android Tablet Forum App powered by Tapatalk.

eulogy69

Mar 15, 2011
you should check out the honeycomb b10 lite i get cm3 of 836 with wifi on, l_n has been to busy latly to work on his rom tipstir is working on his all the time no matter how much i mod watery and turn off wifi i cant get over 780 cm

Last edited: