Taking guesses on 4.0 release date.

svchost

Aug 26, 2011
I'm going to guess Acer will release it some time mid 2012, given their track record for updates. Lets say Mid-to-late June :).

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I'm going to guess Acer will release it some time mid 2012, given their track record for updates. Lets say Mid-to-late June :).

Are you joking! I reckon December to late January 2012. Whats wrong withtheir track record? I'd rather they'd take their time than be like Motorola who have rushed out their updates and bricked scores of Xooms in the process. They said 3.2 would be mid-september and it has happened - unless you think it should have been released in August. Most A500 owners have only updated from 3.0 to 3.1 in the last 4 weeks. my update was early to mid-july for 3.1 and just 3 days ago for 3.2.

Pretty good track record to me.:p

drozas

May 1, 2011
Just wondering. I wouldn't even care really. The only thing I'm missing in my opinion is Netflix. I'm unrooted.

Sent from my A500

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
I reckon we'll have 4 before the end of the year, 4 would make a good selling point for the holidays.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
Not another pesimist. Its coming ...like Christmas. Why be so negative? They have a good track record - so far!:eek:
Wow, you call several delays a good track record?
He's not a pessimist, he's a realist.
Who can say we will even get 4.0
They may put it in a new tablet as a selling point to create more sales.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
#10 on this thread has a quote from Acer saying 3.2 will be the "final" update.
Something tells me Acer may ship all new units and models with ICS after it comes out, but 3.2 may be the end for already fielded units.
Unless Android marketing is structure differently, I can't see them making a profit otherwise. Can the current hardware of the A500 handle it?
Maybe will get lucky and 4.0 will really be the last.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-tab-a500-forum/20548-any-rumors-3-2-a.html

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
#10 on this thread has a quote from Acer saying 3.2 will be the "final" update.
Something tells me Acer may ship all new units and models with ICS after it comes out, but 3.2 may be the end for already fielded units.
Unless Android marketing is structure differently, I can't see them making a profit otherwise. Can the current hardware of the A500 handle it?
Maybe will get lucky and 4.0 will really be the last.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-tab-a500-forum/20548-any-rumors-3-2-a.html

Wow, you sure read a lot into a casual quote from an unofficial spokesman on twitter.

He was referring to the final version of 3.2, as opposed to an initial version which was apparently pushed out only to Brian, who immediatly announced that Android 3.2 was pushing, only to have the OTA push immediately yanked because Acer found bugs.

Lets not start spreading false rumors.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Wow, you sure read a lot into a casual quote from an unofficial spokesman on twitter.

He was referring to the final version of 3.2, as opposed to an initial version which was apparently pushed out only to Brian, who immediatly announced that Android 3.2 was pushing, only to have the OTA push immediately yanked because Acer found bugs.

If you remember, I asked the ICS vs. 302 "final" question on that thread, never to be answered fully, or at least to my understanding.
Maybe I didn't separate the 2 things going on in that post correctly. I was just restating something I thought might be relevant. I may have been wrong there.

There other was my opinion that I can't believe they'll push every version on every unit currently out there. I don't see how that's good business for Acer. If they've sold 1mil+ units now and let's say they sell another 2mil+ after ICS, would it be cost efficient to roll out OTA for all 3mil+ or just the units with the new OS.

I've been trying to search for "official" release statements regarding versions and when updates will no longer be pushed from both Google and Acer, but I find nothing. Granted, I just assume I'm looking in all the wrong places.
Also, since I can find no "like us on Facebook" links anywhere on the Acer pages, I take every coming from there with a grain of salt. I come to see and hope the people of this forum will set the record straight.

So, to be clear and not start any more rumors ;)
Who's Brain and did the 3.2 update start rolling out?

Last edited:

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011

Icebike you are the one spreading things.
You obviously did not read the post where I posted two other people who reported getting the same update he got.
I see at least 3 different versions out there.
And there are several versions of 3.1 as well.
If the version he got, along with a few other people, did as you say have bugs it was still a 3.2 version.
If you got it you would have reported it also.
Falsely accusing someone is wrong.
All Brian did was be the first one to report he got the update.
And yet you are continuing to find fault with him.
You are trying to make it out that he is a BSer when he did nothing wrong.
Sorry they did not let you be the first with the update.
Why can't you admit you were wrong?
Are you an only child or always had to have your way?
Seriously, give it up.

svchost

Aug 26, 2011
I almost hope they do give us official word that we wont be getting 4.0. It would make my decision to install a custom mod so much easier.