(TCC8902/Android 2.1/7"/HDMI/1080p/3D) HSG MIDX5 aka Coby Kyros MID7005

wertigos

Sep 3, 2010
Hi dear strannik's!

[App] CifsManager v1.4 - Manage your CIFS/NFS network shares (09/07/2010) - xda-developers
here is cifs manager for mount network resources to pda filesystem,
but it needed place correct cifs.ko in /system/lib/modules

my tries to place any available cifs.ko (from discuss thread = phone SGS, Desire etc)
to this path (and /sdcard/cifs too) nothing to get result... :-(
AndroED say me - incorrect executable

where i get correct cifs.ko to tcc8902 CPU?
Thx

GunPR

Nov 22, 2010
Hi dear strannik's!

[App] CifsManager v1.4 - Manage your CIFS/NFS network shares (09/07/2010) - xda-developers
here is cifs manager for mount network resources to pda filesystem,
but it needed place correct cifs.ko in /system/lib/modules

my tries to place any available cifs.ko (from discuss thread = phone SGS, Desire etc)
to this path (and /sdcard/cifs too) nothing to get result... :-(
AndroED say me - incorrect executable

where i get correct cifs.ko to tcc8902 CPU?
Thx

Im very interested in this too any solution to this?

jainzi

Nov 25, 2010
please try following procedure,

1. enter update mode
2. update only lk.rom
3. reset device, then enter update mode again
4. update tcc8900_mtd.img and NAND Data.fai
5. reset device, then power on normally

I am trying to Root my device mainly so I can do a firmware backup BEFORE I try upgrading it!! Either way I cannot seem to get it into "update mode".

To enter into "update mode" I have read that I have to:
a. Power off the unit
b. Plug in the power
c. Hold a fingure down on the screen
d. At the same time press and hold the power button

I have tried this a hundred times and all it ever does in boot up as normal. I also tried holding one of the Menu/Home/Return buttons while powering on and the Menu one stops at an exclamation mark in what look like Linux command line called "Android system recovery <2e>". In this mode the ROOT.BAT file (mentioned in the parent post) seems to connect using ADB SHELL but says that the '/system/bin/sh' directory does not exist :(

Does anyone know how I can get my X5A into update mode?
(Kernel version 2.6.29 #157 Firmware version 2.1-update1)

fun

Aug 19, 2010
To enter into "update mode" I have read that I have to:
a. Power off the unit
b. Plug in the power
c. Hold a fingure down on the screen
d. At the same time press and hold the power button

I have tried this a hundred times and all it ever does in boot up as normal. I also tried holding one of the Menu/Home/Return buttons while powering on and the Menu one stops at an exclamation mark in what look like Linux command line called "Android system recovery <2e>". In this mode the ROOT.BAT file (mentioned in the parent post) seems to connect using ADB SHELL but says that the '/system/bin/sh' directory does not exist :(

Does anyone know how I can get my X5A into update mode?
(Kernel version 2.6.29 #157 Firmware version 2.1-update1)

"press the screen" is for X5A without Gsensor. your unit has Gsensor, right?
then, "press & hold POWER and MENU" for FWDN(update) mode, "press & hold POWER and RETURN" for recovery mode.
(I think you used RETURN to enter recovery...)

--
but you should not go further until you really understand what you are doing.

1. #157 is the latest firmware for X5A with Gsensor. what firmware "I try upgrading"?
2. you can backup without something you called "root". you can see "#" prompt in adb shell. it is ROOT shell.
3. don't do "run ROOT.BAT" in recovery. noone wrote such a procedure. thoughtless behaviour leads your device bricked.

I think installing ClockworkMod Recovery is enough for your purpose(full backup).

ZeroFail

Oct 29, 2010
I've seen a few forum admins that have the X5A or HSG X5A tablet listed in their signature but searching the forum resulted in nothing. A Google search came up with one site to buy it. I'm wondering if those that own one can give us a review or point me to the correct thread location.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Its a good tablet but I would go with something else if I was getting a tablet now. But if you want to purchase one still euogo.com sells them

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum App

mgr52

Nov 11, 2010
I think the appeal with the x5a is that it is physically a sturdy tablet and it is stable as opposed to many out there which are pretty buggy. While it doesn't have the best components out there it is still reliable.

I have seen a few sites with it and it is a decent price imo.

Sent from my MB200 using Android Tablet Forum App

ULTRAMAN1

Dec 2, 2010
I just ordered one from Merimobiles for $149 and 30.00 to get it in one week, I was also looking at the Coby Kyros and Panidigital from QVC and HSN.

Not a lot of talk about the Herotab X5A and RK7 on this site, any reason why?????

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
The X5A and the Gpad G10 are very high on my list right now. I've all but given up finding a stable 2.2/flash tab for under $200.00 at this point.

mgr52

Nov 11, 2010
I disagree. From what I have seen most members either recommend it or consider it one of the more reliable tablets out there

Sent from my MB200 using Android Tablet Forum App

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
It is a good tablet I'm just saying there are better out there for a little bit more money but for the price that the x5a is going for its still a pretty good deal

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum App

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
Yeah from what I've read both units are pretty stable. Main problem is they run 2.1 which means no flash support.

mattengland

Dec 6, 2010
I just received mine two days ago.
Happy with it so far but there is an issue with the battery (only get about two hours before the battery warning starts BUT its then a couple more hours before it actually shuts itself down).
That said it is smooth and responsive compared to some others I have seen.

Best advice I can give is don't get it off eBay like I did. I am only now realising that mine might not be exactly what it says it is and could well be the reason I'm having battery problems while others seem impressed with the battery.

mgr52

Nov 11, 2010
matt- have you upgraded the firmware? I read on the merimobiles website that the firmware upgrade solves this issue