Teathering with my DROID X via Wireless Tether app with my Huwaei S7 tablet?

Ives

Dec 10, 2010
You know I never did get my tethering to work with the droid 2. I replaced the supplicant file but still could not see the ssid from the phone. I finally gave up. I live in a big enough city that hot spots are abundant. If you figure it out on your droid let us know. Does anyone know if usb tethering is possible with the S7 ?

Ives

Edit - I just remembered that the reason The new supplicant failed is the wi fi would not even turn on after replacing the supplicant file. I had to revert to the original supplicant that i backed up to get wi fi to enable.

Ives

Last edited:

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Just curious, are you guys going through all of this to get wifi for free from your phones? Or do you still have to purchase the tethering plan from Att for the additional $20.

No you can root your Droid X or Droid 1, Droid 2 or any Android phone that runs 2.0 or higher and then download the Wireless Tether app from the market which is free and wifi tether at no additional cost.....

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Just wanted to update you guys, I just followed the steps on modifying the wpa_supplicant file and it works now.. My tablet sees and connects to my droid x via tether no problem and i can browse on the internet yay!!! Love the forums thanks guys !! :)

HarleyGUy

Jan 8, 2011
This works just as the instructions say. I downloaded wiresless tether to my rooted HTC Hero (yes, old school) and immediately was broadcasting wifi to my laptop but my H-S7 did not find the wifi. I then downloaded the new wpa_supplicant and replaced the old one using root explorer. Re-booted the tablet and bam!!! I was using my Hero internet connection on my tablet.

Now, has anyone had any luck connecting a phone to the tablet via bluetooth?

KE4NYV

Dec 5, 2010
This works just as the instructions say. I downloaded wiresless tether to my rooted HTC Hero (yes, old school) and immediately was broadcasting wifi to my laptop but my H-S7 did not find the wifi. I then downloaded the new wpa_supplicant and replaced the old one using root explorer. Re-booted the tablet and bam!!! I was using my Hero internet connection on my tablet.

Glad you got it working! I have been through the steps to replace the file at least ten times with no luck. Everytime I tried, my wifi would stop working on the S7. I had to copy the original file back and reboot to get wifi working again.

Any tips? I would love to get my S7 talking to my HTC Eris. I routinely run my Eris with the hotspot running to connect my laptop at work, so I know the hotspot works.

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
I cant get it to work with my Eris either, tried 3 different supplicants.

Sent from my Ideos S7

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
Replaced the wpa_supplicant file with the one in this thread [Guide] Sharing N900 Internet Connection With Android Device - maemo.org - Talk

I can now share my T-Mobile 3G from my N900 to my S7 via ad-hoc wifi connection. It even supports WEP, so at least not just anyone can jump on my connection. Tested last night and was getting 2.1Mbs download speed on the S7.

Took a couple of tries to get everything working reliably (mostly on the N900 side).