Terminal Emulator

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
Installed terminal emulator and everything just says permission denied. I do have the android sdk installed on my PC , device manager shows my ADB device correctly. I can bring up cmd and cd/ to my sdk/tools folder and run the android.bat.

but im not getting any luck with even doing su on the terminal emulator or do we do that from the pc?

i have root explorer and its got the permissions and can mount R/W

so i guess im just not sure what i need running and where to type these diff commands in.

do i go through command prompt to open a adb shell with my s7 from my pc ? or is it something in the sdk i type this stuff in? or is it on the terminal emulator on my s7?

thx in advance

Celtus

Jan 14, 2011
If root explorer is OK with setting r/w, then you should be able to do what you need to do in the terminal app.

If you have the sdk installed, it is probably easier to use adb. The adb program runs from the command-line on *nix boxes, so I'm guessing that you'll need to run it from cmd.exe. If the directory layout is the same, it should be in the sdk folder, inside of a folder called platform-tools. I haven't used the sdk on Windows, so I could be wrong. You could do a search for adb.exe, and see if that finds it for you (again, no Windows here, so I'm guessing). Once you find it, run it with 'shell' as the command argument (like c:\whatever\directory\its\in\adb.exe shell). If all goes well, it will open a connection to the S7. You will need to Settings > Applications > Development on the S7, and turn on USB debugging before you do this for it to work.

My S7 opens the adb shell session as a non-root user, so I run su as my first command, then it's off to the races.

Good Luck!
-Celtus

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
cool thx for the reply. not sure if i saw adb.exe in that tools folder, will chk around again

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
sweet got it working, thx again. there is a tools folder and a platform-tools which it was in.

soon as i typed su and hit enter my S7 asked for perms. and the $ has changed to a #. looks like im setup now thx !

$adb.JPG

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
k getting error on pc with first mknod entry : busybox not found

so i know titanium backup shows busybox installed....... do i need it on pc also?

thx

Celtus

Jan 14, 2011
No, just on the tablet. It's possible that your busybox is not in the path in your environment. I don't have Titanium backup loaded, but perhaps someone who has it can tell you where it puts busybox. Once you know that, just add it to the beginning of the command (like /path/to/busybox mknod......)

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Titanium backup normally places busybox in /system/bin, so when using adb shell it should be in your path.

~Ivy

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
I had the same problem installing busybox
You need to remount the /system rw before running the busybox install otherwise the titanium installer exits silently without actually doing the install

Pete, on the move...

mecha2012

Feb 7, 2011
Hey guys sorry to high Jack this thread but I don't want to make another thread with terminal emulator on it but here's my question my terminal emulator doesn't show the history while scrolling the tackball up. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall fixed busybody I'm stumped I can deal with it its just annoying.

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
I have not had good experience with the terminal emulator on the S7, I just connect to pc now and just use ADB thru cmd.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Jackpal terminal emulator works on my S7. I have busybox installed. Remember type type 'su' before issuing any root commands.

jhsband84

Dec 14, 2010
I installed Jackpal emulator, but I'm getting permission denied when typing su. Superuser didn't ask for permission the first time I ran it. I do have busybox and z4root in the Superuser app list. How can I force the terminal emulator to ask for permission?

Edit: It was a capitalization issue. Solved.

Last edited: