Tethering the Nook Color

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
I don't really understand the need for the adhoc fix, tethering to the NC works just fine. Many people don't have their wifi tether set up correctly or are using an old version.
I just got my NC and I try to connect it with Nokia 5800 throygh Joikuspot app in order to made the application.
Unfortunately, NC doesnt find the wifi from my nokia, although with other devices it works great.
Any ideas??

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
wpa_supplicant-ncadhoc.zip

cicada on xda said:
[FIX] AdHoc Wifi support on the NC!

Great news everyone! </farnsworth>

ADHOC Wifi Support for Nook Color (stock)!

[EDIT] There appears to be an issue reconnecting when wifi sleeps and comes back on. Researching a permanent fix, in the meantime go to settings -> Wireless and toggle wifi off/on to correct it

This fix will allow you to connect to ADHOC wireless networks ( such as to a laptop or with wifi-tether on an android phone )

Like most other fixes, this requires your nook to be rooted and usb adb working, please follow the guides here and/or at the nook dev wiki first!:

Rooting: NookColor Rooting - nookDevs
USB-ADB: NookColor USB ADB - nookDevs

HOWTO enable ADHOC tethering:

1. Download and unzip the attached zip file below, this should give you a wpa_supplicant-adhocfix file

2. *DISABLE WIFI ON YOUR NC*

3. Make a backup of your current wpa_supplicant:
Code:

adb pull /system/bin/wpa_supplicant wpa_supplicant.backup

4. Remount the /system partition RW:
Code:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

5. Push the new wpa_supplicant:
Code:

adb push wpa_supplicant.adhocfix /system/bin/wpa_supplicant

6. Fix permissions:
Code:

adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant

7. Remount the /system partition RO:
Code:

adb shell mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

8. Enable WIFI on your NC, you should now be able to see ADHOC networks in the list! ( they'll be displayed with a (*) prefix )

[edit] Credit where credit's due, this was taken from a wpa_supplicant IBSS patch I found via a Google search, if anyone knows the party responsible, let me know so I can credit them properly!

http://szym.net/android/

This is compiled against TI's Omapedia Eclair sources ( OMAPpedia ) - since this is a different framework than the B&N stock build, I can't guarantee this will work, won't brick your device, etc. Use at your own risk!

If you encounter any problems, please use this thread to let us all know.

That's all there is to it, enjoy!

Soruce: [FIX] AdHoc Wifi support on the NC! - xda-developers

Also see our: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ks-frequently-asked-questions-read-first.html
A lot of good info there.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks Rico, I am going to need this soon and couldn't remember where it was at in other threads, so this will be handy.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
I needed to connect wo Wi-Fi before rooting.So noway to do the above method.
But after I returned home, I connected to my router, done the registration, then installed CM7 v3 and then my mobile is finally visible :)

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
Yes my friend .
this is how I am connected now :) .
joikuspot program makes great job for symbian v5 phones .

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Steve51680

Jan 9, 2012
So you need wifi on your nook to root it and you need to root it to get the USB tether. How does this work?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The Nook comes with wifi but you don't need it to root. You can tether the Nook via wifi without using USB (otherwise known as connecting to a hotspot). If you want to USB tether, you can root. I'm sure there are some reasons but why would you really want to have to physically tether for a data connection these days?

ledestany

Feb 11, 2012
So here's my dilemma. I have a nookcolor that has the downloaded bluetooth tether app, and am trying to tether it to my blackberry 9330. When I click the app. it says it can connect to my blackberry. My blackberry has acknowleged and paired with my nookcolor, but when I click on the nookcolor under paired devices there's no "connect" option. I also have a regular bluetooth that has been paired with my blackberry and when you click on that - it has a connect option even though I don't even have that bluetooth anymore. HELP. I don't get it. Does anyone have any ideas? And yes my blackberry says it is descoverable, and the bluetooth option is activated. Any help would be appreciated!!!