Tethering vs. buying a WiFi+3g version

jcarey8212

Nov 7, 2011
I've seen those plug in USB cards that look like a large flash drive from Verizon at Radio Shack. I believe there made for laptops to connect thru a Verizon Data plan, if that would work it would be cheaper than a specialized tablet.

djfourmoney

Nov 5, 2011
I've seen those plug in USB cards that look like a large flash drive from Verizon at Radio Shack. I believe there made for laptops to connect thru a Verizon Data plan, if that would work it would be cheaper than a specialized tablet.

If you're willing to run an 3rd Party Rom on your tablet with a crippled USB 2.0 port, then like I said you can use one of those USB Dongles. Overall cost of the hardware is usually less, especially if you get an unbranded USB Dongle which are about $30-$40 - 3G dongle - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Rick, with Virgin mobile you don't have a contract but you pay I believe $99. for their hotspots device and you get only 2.5 GB of data for $50 .I just checked [email protected] and they offer the Samsung hotspots SCH-LCI certified pre-owned for free(is the one I have) or the other one they have called MiFi, also pre owned for $19.99. Then you'll pay $ 50 a month for 5GB of data if you sign a contract for 2 years. If you are sure you want it you go with Verizon, you get more data for less and the fastest connection available on the market so far but if you are not sure get the prepaid Virgin, don't t forget you have an initial cost of $99. for their mobile hotspots device sunless you find one used on e bay and make sure, check on the internet, that Virgin mobile works well in your area. Enjoy, whatever you decide you will buy. Mobile Internet and Hotspots | 4G LTE MiFi | Verizon Wireless gg

rick7

Oct 19, 2011
Some tablets will work with a 3G/4G LTE USB Dongle as some tablets have fully functional standard USB Port.

MiFi is just a mobile hot spot/access point. A USB Dongle its 3G Modem. Basically the USB Dongle will only work on whatever its plugged into. That said on a W7 machine you can create bridged connections or turn your laptop into an WiFi access point.

I'm sure I'm showing how old-fashioned my knowledge is, but I think of USB modems as plugging into a phone line on the other end. Maybe modern USB modems now allow the computer access to a cellular carrier instead, just like a mobile hotspot?

OK, so a MiFi will do the same thing as a USB modem/dongle for tablets that don't have a standard USB port -- which is most of them, right? USB modems are mostly used in laptops that are outside WiFi access range? Whereas mobile hotspots are for devices like tablets that don't have standard USB ports.

USB modems can be 4G, right?

When you say that a USB dongle will only work on whatever it's plugged into, I think you're referring to how it's different from a mobile hotspot which can wirelessly connect to up to five devices as opposed to only one for a USB modem?

Thanks.

djfourmoney

Nov 5, 2011
Yes that is what I am saying a USB Dongle from a cellular carrier will only work with a cellular network. I assume if you must you can find a 56K USB modem. In class we call anything broadband a network adapter since there's no "dialing" of any sort. That cuts down on the confusion you just posted. I understand what I am saying, another person familiar with networks will know what I am saying but those not well versed in wireless network will post what you just did :)

Archos G9 tablets have an optional 3G USB Dongle which I think is smarter than making two different tablets...

akvasu

Dec 1, 2011
Hi

I'm going to jump in this thready with a query - How many of you have actually managed to get Wifi Tethering work from a Mobile phone to Tablet? My Sony Tablet S is not detecting the wifi from the phone....

Thanks
Anup