Tethering

jhelms4461

May 1, 2011
Ok has anybody tethered their tab yet, if so how ? did you have to root ? and which program did you use ? thanks for any info !!!

Humantelope

May 2, 2011
Yes you need to root, I did it last night. For whatever reason the iconia and the xoom (assuming the transformer as well but not 100% on that) have disabled the use of ad-hoc wireless networking which is how most of the wifi tethering apps do things.

i'm going to copy/paste the most simple instructions i found and they worked perfectly for me also. actually just going to link it because its a lot of text to copy/paste i'd feel bad ;)

(How To) Root Acer A500

once you root it then the adhoc support is added by changing out the wpa_supplicant file in system/bin. In order to do so you need to download Root Explorer (its always handy if you've got a rooted android device so i already own it). To change / remove that file theres a button up top that says Mount R/W or Mount R/O ... if it says R/W press it, which makes the system read/write capable so you can modify/remove any of the files there.

EDIT: ok so if you read my reply earlier you seen my long winded reply about the wpa_supplicant thing.. anyway I found the links i was looking for.

Get the wpa_supplicant zip file from the original post in this, ignore his instructions unless you're comfortable with adb which isnt too bad.. but the next link is easier imo.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=12858786&postcount=1

So i followed the instructions from this fellow's post, worked perfectly for me.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=13081157&postcount=32

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

cbotd

Apr 29, 2011
I tether wirelessly through both Verizons 3G hotspot built into my Droid 2 Global and also by using wireless tether app. I think both are AdHoc and worked for me on the A500 right out of the box.

Humantelope

May 2, 2011
the mifi or 5spot from verizon isn't ad-hoc.. but not sure about the droid 2 global, well i wasn't able to access ad-hoc networks on mine, so i had to root it and do all that jazz... if yours works fine for ya then ignore my post but otherwise there ya go ;)

cbotd

Apr 29, 2011
the mifi or 5spot from verizon isn't ad-hoc.. but not sure about the droid 2 global, well i wasn't able to access ad-hoc networks on mine, so i had to root it and do all that jazz... if yours works fine for ya then ignore my post but otherwise there ya go ;)

I know the Wireless tether app is AdHoc for sure as it shows up as such on my Linux laptop. The built in hotspot from Verizon may not be.

I was pleasantly surprised that it worked straight away because I had to jump through hoops on my 7" Froyo tablet from Elocity. Your info was very similar to what I had to do on that device.

Humantelope

May 2, 2011
aha i misread what you typed. yeah the mifi/5spot thing is a seperate device, thats what i thought you meant by the the verizon hotspot.. i didnt read "on my". thought you said and my, as in you had two different things to tether with :) oh well.

wonder why some people are having different results w/ this... i've tethered to my OG droid before using a computer and it worked fine, it works on my iconia now but i had to root it and do all that jazz. i'm more or less confused why your tethering stuff works fine out of the box.

oh well, so yeah, if it works out of the box for the OP great.. if not you got the instructions heh

rkka93

May 5, 2011
EDIT: sorry for the multiple edits. Hopefully no one has read them. I originally thought I had solve part of my problem but then realized I had reverted to the original wpa_supplicant file. So, original problem is still there. With the new file, I can turn on WiFi but it just scans without finding any wifi networks. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm fairly new to this so I'm sure I could be missing something easy. I'd like to tether this through bluetooth instead of a wifi network, so not sure if this is needed. I've tried wireless tether and set it to use bluetooth only on my Motorola droid and I have been able to pair to the Inconia, but they don't connect after wireless tether is started. I'll keep searching around, but any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Humantelope

May 2, 2011
The only real answer i have for you rkka is that typically not seeing any networks or an error is because of permissions... if you put the original file back and its still not working then i have no idea. i followed both those posts and only those posts and it works fine for me. the folks at xda might have more insight at this time than there was previously, have you dug a bit deeper into that forum?

rkka93

May 5, 2011
Yeah...I thought it may be permission, but changed the file to 777 and nothing. Of course, there may be something else somewhere I don't know about. Putting back the original file does work though, so it's something to do with the new setup. I'll look more into that forum and see what I can find although I'm not developer....just know enough to be dangerous. :)

Humantelope

May 2, 2011
just got to thinking, i had to cycle my wifi once i put the modified one in and changed permissions... it should automatically shut it off if i remember correctly but if not definitely do so yourself. (i've done this on two different a500's so i know the process works with whats posted) sorry if its causing you trouble, just make sure you keep your original wpa file incase heh

rkka93

May 5, 2011
That's a good idea. After I changed the file, I rebooted before turning on wifi and turned it on after reboot. Still a problem. I've had to factory reset this once due to an erroneous out of space error. So, while it's a long shot I wonder if a new unit might be in order. Especially since it seems to be working pretty easily for others. But I'm use to this....being the one with the issues. :)