Tethering

ldl

May 16, 2011
Is there a way for me to tether my Acer iconia A500 with my Atrix?? (They are both unrooted)

jeisen24

May 15, 2011
Is there a way for me to tether my Acer iconia A500 with my Atrix?? (They are both unrooted)

Both my devices are unrooted as well. Since I'm new in this forum, I'm not really aware of the types of things you can post (legal or not). Basically, you can find steps online (YouTube) to configure new APN's for mobile networks. I've done it, it works, nothing too special. Though d/l speed is decent enough to browse the web.

Anyways, once you configure the new APN and enable mobile hotspots with proper security settings in place. You should be able to connect with your iconia.

FYI - took me a couple tries on my atrix to get set up. Honestly, I don't even know if this method is legit until I see my phone bill.

Last edited:

hussker

May 18, 2011
I had to root mine to gain access to it, but after that it works seamlessly with my iPhone 4 and MyWi, I love it.

-Joe.

Hey Joe,
Could you give me some intel on the rooting process? I can pair my A500 to my iPhone 4, but cannot connect. Nor can I tether on the personal hotspot.

Thanks

Sarai

May 19, 2011
The Inconia should be perfect for Duales WebSurfing. I've read something about it to Neuheit Acer Inconia
Very interesting article. But the impending price for the Inconia is probably for many User a little too high.
But this too will pass with time.

Regards
Sarai

webchameleon

May 27, 2011
I got through all of your instructions, but I got hung up on the very last past. I have an Acer A500. I retrieved the wpa_supplicant file and downloaded into my dropbox on my acer.

Then I followed the steps laid out neatly in the second link up to the permissions, but was unsure about a few things:

- I am assuming when he says to move the new wpa_supplicant file, he means just that file and not worry over any of the other files in the zip folder

- When he states to tick off all the boxes in the first two columns, does he also means those in the "special permissions" section? I noticed the permissions are set differently for the original file.

- Lastly, he states "You should then see adhoc networks with a * infront of them." I don't know where I am supposed to see this.

Regardless, I turned my WiFi back on and it said it couldn't connect with my household wifi. Tried several times, being very careful to follow steps. Does it just not work on the Acer or is the "GingerBreak" not good to use with Honeycomb?

One of my chief reasons, other than Flash -LAAAAAA!! - in going back to the android tablets was the ability to tether. I've always tethered my android cell with my laptop.

jhrIII

May 18, 2011
I'm crusing on Verizon's blazing 4g on my rooted A500 through my rooted Droid Charge via Barnacle. It took some sorting and a lot of going through this and other threads, but well worth it.

Does anybody know if the 3.1 update in June will affect any of the changes I made to the tablet as far as rooting and tethering goes?

kbogan

May 30, 2011
I just bought a Iconia A500 Tablet and was assured by the salesperson at Best Buy that I could tether it with my Blackberry Curve. I checked out the tether web site and and they do not have the software available yet for the Droid operation system on my Iconia. I have read a lot about rooting my tablet? I have no clue what that means. I am sure that I should be able to use my tablet with the tether software on my BB to access the internet when no WiFi is available. Any step by step instructions would be most helpful. Thank you in advance for your help.

denny120

May 26, 2011
I am able to tether from my galaxy s to my Acer from out the box.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I have no problem tethering my Acer A500 to my Nexus One using the standard built in tethering on the Nexus One.

The acer just sees it as a regular hotspot, connects, gets an IP address, and surfs.
And further, my carrier can't tell I'm doing it, because even deep packet inspection can't tell the difference.

mspec

Jun 8, 2011
Has anybody managed to tether theirs to an iphone. I have an iphone 3gs and although they pair with each other it says they are not connected and if you try and connect from the tablet it says device is not compatible.

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
This won't help you but I chose the Samsung Galaxy S for it's in built tethering feature. It took less than 1 minute to tether it to this tab.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I haven't tried this method yet but the files have been downloaded to my Thunderbolt and Iconia Tab.

This method is explained in the description for the app. It works on non-rooted phones and tabs. This uses your phones data connection to supply the tab. I will consider rooting my devices once all the updates are available, until then I hope this works.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.pdanet.tablet&feature=search_result

Yes, we all know about that, but its very limited. It essentially only handles web server based traffic.
Tethering should be as easy as selecting a different wifi hotspot, not requiring you to change proxys each time.

Tethering without a Nexus One, or Nexus S phone, or any phone that supplies a TRUE Infrastructure mode Wireless Access point involves rooting one device or the other: to get the ad-hoc wifi to work by rooting the tablet, or getting a true infrastructure AP working by routing the phone.

If you have to root one anyway, why not do it right, and root the phone?