Tethering

slide

Jun 14, 2011
I'm very confused by all this...i used to be able to tether, but since i got the OTA software update a few weeks ago, no luck. to make things stranger, I can still connect to other wireless tethers, such as my friends' Evo. and he can connect to mine. but i can't connect to my own. Even went to best buy and connected to the ipad on display, no problem. But when i tried to connect to the Iconia on display, no luck!
So, those of you that can tether with no problems, what software version are you running??

eclipse3g

Jun 11, 2011
A500 to PdaNet 5.02 jb iphone has a quick setup guide in the thread listed below, to connect the iphone and A500 with a wifi connection.

Before starting you need to JB your iphone and add PdaNet 5.02 from cydia, and have rooted your A500 Tablet.

Info on rooting A500 can be found in elsewhere in this forum.

JB of iphone info can be found at iPhone Hacks

Once those are complete see the thread below.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-tab-a500-forum/17023-iphone4-wifi-tether.html See Post #5

bonzer2u

Jan 29, 2011
A500 to PdaNet 5.02 jb iphone has a quick setup guide in the thread listed below, to connect the iphone and A500 with a wifi connection.

Before starting you need to JB your iphone and add PdaNet 5.02 from cydia, and have rooted your A500 Tablet.

Info on rooting A500 can be found in elsewhere in this forum.

JB of iphone info can be found at iPhone Hacks

Once those are complete see the thread below.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-tab-a500-forum/17023-iphone4-wifi-tether.html See Post #5

You wouldnt happen to know the drill for tethering a blackberry 9330 3g via usb or bluetooth?

Would like to use it as a backup when wifi is unavailable.....

eclipse3g

Jun 11, 2011
You wouldnt happen to know the drill for tethering a blackberry 9330 3g via usb or bluetooth?

Would like to use it as a backup when wifi is unavailable.....

Sorry, can't help you there, If you goto June Fabrics PDA Technology Group you will see PdaNet apps for various devices, it would probably take a little experimentation to figure out the Blackberry to A500 solution. If you figure it out post up a quick tutorial so others can make use of it.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
So, those of you that can tether with no problems, what software version are you running??

Stock Nexus One with Gingerbread.
Stock Acer a500 with Honeycomb 3.01.

It just works.

The Nexus includes a full fledged Infrastructure mode WIFI Router, not the lame Ad-Hoc router that some phones have.

Ad-Hoc is the problem. With Ad-Hoc there is no DHCP server, therefore no IP is issued, you have to set everything yourself.
Plus, without hacking the Acer, I don't believe it does Ad-Hoc at all.

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
Rooted Droid 2 Global and stock a500 tethers fine for me... in fact, as i enter this on my a500, im tethered to my droid.

Batchman

May 14, 2011

LG Optimus One with FroYo. (FroYo comes with tethering buolt in).

Just turnes on tethering on the LG and my A500 found it like any other wifi router. Just had to enter the password the first time, and it works with no problems.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

sf95070

Jun 8, 2011
Unless I am missing something, tethering the tablet is as simple as finding the WiFi network name which is assigned to the phone or hotspot providing the access.

There is no need to root the tablet as it doesn't care where you get the Wifi.

If you want to use a Verizon phone to provide the hotspot, then you may need to root the phone if you don't want to pay for a tethering plan on the phone, but there is no reason to root the tablet.

BTW, I used my Droid 2 Global to provide the WiFi connection to my A500 and it works just fine with both "as shipped".

I do pay VZ for tethering on the phone.

beastman

May 8, 2011
Look for Pdanet tablet but it is only web. It is free. Install on phone and tanlet. Run as server on phone Client on tablet. Root not required. My Evo is not rooted but my tablet is. Pdanet tablet works great, but complete tether would be better!

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

slats

Jun 17, 2011
I have a motorola defy from Telstra in Australia, have no idea about this root business with mobile phone or tablet, the phone has the internet tether via usb or bluetooth check box the same as the iphone 3g that I tried.
With both phones the A500 found them in bluetooth and paired but the mesage is "paired not connected" did not try in usb as I would like to do this without leads.
Can anyone make any suggestions or is this somthing we have to wait for Acer to fix or is it part of the Honeycomb 3.1 upgrade.

Thanks

Jun 15, 2011
I'm having issues tethering on my A500 using my Droid. It won't pick up the wifi part of it since adhoc is disabled but the bluetooth is recognized and paired however it won't connect. I didnt root my Acer yet cause I promesied wifey I wouldn't do it yet so does anyone have a work around for my situation? My droid is definitely rooted and the Acer is updated which is how I received it by default. Thanks every one.

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
I'm having issues tethering on my A500 using my Droid. It won't pick up the wifi part of it since adhoc is disabled but the bluetooth is recognized and paired however it won't connect. I didnt root my Acer yet cause I promesied wifey I wouldn't do it yet so does anyone have a work around for my situation? My droid is definitely rooted and the Acer is updated which is how I received it by default. Thanks every one.

There should be no need to root the A500 to get teathering working. If your unit picks up any WiFi . The issue is with the phone.
As for the Bluetooth issue i sometimes get some files transfered before being told I'm not connected although still paired. i havent had time to chase down a fix but a reboot of both seems to fix it. Could be some sort of caching issue?

dweebken

Jun 8, 2011
I have an HTC desire that I can configure as a wifi hotspot. then I just use the wifi in my Iconia Tab to use that hotspot when I'm away from home. works a treat!

Jun 15, 2011
There should be no need to root the A500 to get teathering working. If your unit picks up any WiFi . The issue is with the phone.
As for the Bluetooth issue i sometimes get some files transfered before being told I'm not connected although still paired. i havent had time to chase down a fix but a reboot of both seems to fix it. Could be some sort of caching issue?

My IPod connects to my Droid (via BT and Wifi) with no issues, yet, even with multiple reboots, I still cannot get the two to connect once paired. I'll keep researching around see what comes up but its just aggravating. My Droid is using stock FRG83G rom (rooted)...you think that could be the issue?

EDIT:: I had no choice but to root my Acer. I just looked and researched everywhere and in the end, the average person with issues has a Droid. I appreciate your help with this everyone. Now, I am finally tethering on my A500...woohoo!!!

Last edited: