Tethering

ualjetpilot1

Jun 22, 2011
EDIT:: I had no choice but to root my Acer. I just looked and researched everywhere and in the end, the average person with issues has a Droid. I appreciate your help with this everyone. Now, I am finally tethering on my A500...woohoo!!!

I am trying to connect my rooted Samsung Fascinate to my A500 with no luck...I am using wireless tether and Barnacle wifi tether on my Samsung to connect my latop with no issues, but I am not able to connect with my A500 tablet. The A500 wifi does not find my connection.
It looks like I might have to root the A500 as well....How did you root yours? I have tried the GingerBreak1.20.APK. It installs the app but I not able to open it.. Thanks

beastman

May 8, 2011
Have you tried Pdanet tablet!? That is the complete name... Not pdanet. Install on both phone and tablet. I use it to tether evo to gtablet.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

ualjetpilot1

Jun 22, 2011
Have you tried Pdanet tablet!? That is the complete name... Not pdanet. Install on both phone and tablet. I use it to tether evo to gtablet.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

Success.....Thanks...Got it to work with pdanet tablet. Hope to be able to use "wireless tether" in the future, it seems easier.

beastman

May 8, 2011
It doesn't work for everything. Browser and gmail. Wish it worked with Crackle, Netflix, and the androidtablet apk.

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

ualjetpilot1

Jun 22, 2011
It doesn't work for everything. Browser and gmail. Wish it worked with Crackle, Netflix, and the androidtablet apk.

I am now using the wifi tether app with my rooted Samsung Fascinate and my A500 Tablet wifi. It works great and have full browsing capabilities just like any other wifi signal....I used the 4Shared APP to download and install the wifi tether app ( wifi_tether_v3_0-pre14.apk ). It was that simple.....Works great.

slats

Jun 17, 2011
Thanks for all the advice but after hours of research I have found that in Australia all the telcos support 3G Hot Spot on the mobiles, if you do not have it out of the box on the mobile download it (not available for iphone except for iphone 4) start the app connect the tab and you should be online.

Outside Australia I do not know.

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
Thanks for all the advice but after hours of research I have found that in Australia all the telcos support 3G Hot Spot on the mobiles, if you do not have it out of the box on the mobile download it (not available for iphone except for iphone 4) start the app connect the tab and you should be online.

Outside Australia I do not know.

I dont think it has anything to do with our Aussie telcos but more to do with compatible handsets. After all its just a WiFi signal. I'm glad it works out of the box though :

Scruples98

Jun 29, 2011
Question for pdanet users. If I install the pdanet for andriod on the A500 and pdanet for blackberry on my blackberry curve 8900 will tethering happen? Pdanet Tablet states it is for access between android devices. Are there apps that will tether a blackberry with an A500?

lizz.zeevi

Jun 29, 2011
what is tethering and rooting and do i need to do it? trying to figure out that answer because ive seen alot of posts about these but i dont know if it would be useful to me

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
I highly recommend rooting but it has a different meaning in Australia :)

I havent rooted my acer because i like the way itbis and dont need a modified rom.
I have mine teathered to my phone when on the road that means my phone provides the wifi signal and my telco provides the data (at a cost)

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
what is tethering and rooting and do i need to do it? trying to figure out that answer because ive seen alot of posts about these but i dont know if it would be useful to me

You Don't Need either. Just enjoy the tablet for what it does.

Tethering allows you to access the Internet on your tablet from via your cell phone. (For when you are not near wifi).

Rooting allows you to gain access to the protected areas of the operating system.. Not for new users, and if you aren't a linux fan I would just stay clear of it till you are more familiar with it and discover a real need. Most people never find a need.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I'm going to have to disagree with the previous post a bit here. If you are on this forum then you obviously have enough interest in moving beyond the average consumer user that I would suggest experimenting with your tablet. Frankly if you don't have any interest in what makes your tablet tick and how to improve upon it you may as well just buy an ipad. Nothing against the ipad, its just that when I want to do something I want to do it now, and not when someone decides to release an app for that.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

unix1adm

May 20, 2011
I have the a500 and the verizion htc incredible. Neither is rooted. On my Linux laptop i use a script to use the usb and azlink to tether it to the phone. Works great. Is there a similar way to do that with the a500? I don't necessarily want to use the wifi as the phone will also charge off the usb while its tethered. Anyone done this yet?

beastman

May 8, 2011
I use "pdanet tablet" installed on both my vote ablet and phone.