Tethering

roninfla1

Jul 7, 2012
I have a nexus galaxy with Verizon. Can I use this as a mobil hotspot for the 7. I have activated this feature on my phone but the 7 will not hook up yet??

roninfla1

Jul 7, 2012
:cool:
I have a nexus galaxy with Verizon. Can I use this as a mobil hotspot for the 7. I have activated this feature on my phone but the 7 will not hook up yet??

Forgot to put in the key from my phone..All is well tethering works, of course for $30.00 per month it should. This is a month by month from Verizon so just trying it out, probably cancel in a few weeks..
I plan on using the 7 on my BMW motorcycle for the GPS navigation when I go on long trips..

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I opted instead to get a mobile WiFi device. I keep it in a belt clip-on case on my belt and I can use my tablet on-line and my laptop at the same time, plus several other devices. I got away from the "smart phone" craze a year ago and don't miss it at all. The screen was just too small for my aged eyes to deal with. I prefer the Nexus 7 for all my internet. Each to his own, but I love the tablet over the smart phones.

tspin818

Dec 17, 2011
I got tired of paying Verizon $20.00 a month so I installed PdaNet Tablet on my Nexus 7 and FoxFi on my phone. I use bluetooth to tether them together, and I get better speeds than I did using the built in wifi hotspot. Cancelled the Verizon tether service. Some phones support wifi, but mine is a little older so I had to use the bluetooth connection.

rootbrain

Sep 18, 2012
There is a new FCC ruling that prohibits carriers, VZ specifically from charging a fee for tethering for accounts with unlimited data. Google it. Probably why big red is so fired up to get people on shared, limited data plans.

tspin818

Dec 17, 2011
On a new note, having to use bluetooth turned out to be a good thing. The bluetooth connection uses a lot less power than the wi-fi hotspot, and my battery lasts a lot longer than it used to!

Suziqzer

Nov 7, 2012
Can you use a bluetooth connection with an iphone through Sprint? I'm new to the "tethering" or sharing internet with a tablet concept as I just ordered my first tablet today... Looking forward to getting my Nexus!

gbynum

Nov 1, 2012
There is a new FCC ruling that prohibits carriers, VZ specifically from charging a fee for tethering for accounts with unlimited data. Google it. Probably why big red is so fired up to get people on shared, limited data plans.
I'm very aware of the ruling on LIMITED accounts, but all I've found allows not only requiring the addition of a tethering option on unlimited with 3G equipment. Can you guide this dummy ... it's be nice to save that $20/month.

tspin818

Dec 17, 2011
... it's be nice to save that $20/month.

I agree, it is nice to save $240 a year. As I stated in my post above, I use PdaNet on my N7 and FoxFi on my android phone. Both apps are available for free in the Play store and work great. Easy to set up, uses bluetooth for the tether, which uses less power so the charge on the phone lasts much longer. You start the FoxFi app on the phone, then start the PdaNet on the Nexus and pair the two.

I dropped my tether plan with Verizon over a month ago, and I have had no problems.

gbynum

Nov 1, 2012
I know that will work ... indeed I tested FoxFi on my Droid-X and connected the N7 to it for test, on an early Sunday morning. BUT, as I understand the law and the Verizon TOS which I accepted when I bought the phone, tethering with a 3G device and a unlimited plan still requires the $20 package ... which can be started one day and cancelled the next ... but care not to exceed 2 gig prorated over about 30 days (about 60 meg a day) must be taken.

3G Mobile Hotspot & Mobile Broadband Connect - Select Smartphones can be used as a modem for notebooks with a USB cable or 3G Mobile Hotspot on up to 5 Wi-Fi enabled devices. 2GB data/mo included.