Texting App?

Anomander

Jun 16, 2011
I'm a little confused? I have handcent on my phone for texting and I figure it would be available for the Tablet via wifi sending. When I search I see all the add-ons and packs, but I do not find the main program. I'm assuming it is not available yet which makes no sense since the addons are there.

If that is not available what is a good alternative?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
does your tablet have a 3g or similar plan? SMS requires something along those lines. You can take a look at Google Voice, which can be configured to allow you to SMS from your tablet if you do not have an associated phone number for the tablet.

Anomander

Jun 16, 2011
does your tablet have a 3g or similar plan? SMS requires something along those lines. You can take a look at Google Voice, which can be configured to allow you to SMS from your tablet if you do not have an associated phone number for the tablet.
No 3G plan, just a wifi tablet. I thought SMS was good for wifi since when I am home my phone runs on wifi and I can send and receive text then. My guess is that it is still using the 3G even though it does not show while it shows the wifi signal. I have ebuddy which works great for social apps (Yahoo Messenger, AIM, etc..), but I figured since all my contacts are in my contact directory it would have been nice to have a texting option there.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
yes unfortunately SMS is a cellular-based protocol. Google Voice basically allows you to do SMSoIP (for lack of a better description). Google Voice should pick up all the contacts in your tablet though, just like a phone would.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
This discussion has created a mystery for me. If 3G is required for texting, why is it that I can send text to my friends phone from my wireless laptop by sending an email to his 10 digit phone number @txt.att.net ? Also, if he texts a reply, his reply pops up in my email. You only have to know the carrier used by the other party. The codes for some other carriers are:

Last edited:

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
Checking this out now. Not a bad price for $2.99 Have it installed on my phone and tablet and now have dropbox on PC, phone, and tablet.

That app drives me nuts. It syncs every single text from the week to your tablet. Yes its usefull, yes it works, yes its annoying.
Gold text plus is what I reccomend.

Superpad Support Dev Sent from my LGV Ally

Anomander

Jun 16, 2011
Not sure if I have SyncSMS setup correctly between my phone and my tablet. Running Sapphire 2.2 on my D1 and Dropbox is installed, everything seems like it is setup correctly, but no text are coming in to the tablet, and if they do get out it is an hour or so later. I have the sync set for 5 minutes, so not sure what is going on.

EDIT:
Making progress with the Pushing feature. can send text from tablet and it gets to my wifes phone in no time. Her reply made it to the phone, but no go on the Tablet. Sync setting set for every 2 hours.

Last edited:

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
put sync setting as fast as possible. Its an app designed for you to let your phone set on the charger in the other room while your on your tablet.
You need a drop box account, no need for installation I believe. The sync app needs installed, signed in and running on both devices and the tablet on a wifi connection. If you have your sync settings put on 2hrs. Every 2 hours its going to sync with your providers messaging storage on your phone.

Superpad Support Dev Sent from my LGV Ally

Jun 29, 2011
I'm using Text+ on my Tab 10.1. I have it on my Incredible phone and ipad also. If someone sends a text to my Text+ number it pushes the text to all 3 devices at once and if I start a conversation on one of my devices when I open the app on my others it syncs to where the conversation left off and I can pick right up there. It's free on the Android market and Apple store, for you ios users.
Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy