TF101 camera black screen

Awesomepossum

Feb 14, 2012
Hi guys,

After a couple hours of use my camera app shows a black screen where the portrait is supposed to show. I've tried changing from camera to video recorder but that doesn't change anything. I've tried exiting the camera app and using other apps then coming back into the camera app.. Same black screen. This has happened twice now within 2 days. The only way to fix this is to reboot the tab. After the reboot, the camera app works like new again.

Btw I purchased my tf from BB new. But when I opened my tab I saw these apps pre-installed: titanium backup, my backup, super user, and es file explorer.

I just ran root checker and it says that the device isn't rooted.

Does everyone have the same camera issue and does everyone have the mentioned apps pre-installed?

Thanks

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Awesomepossum

Feb 14, 2012
I am also still within the 14 day return from BB.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

The only possible fix I have heard for this is to run the battery completely flat, try turning it on and making sure it is completely out, then charge the tablet. If you have the dock, do it disconnected as running the dock battery flat can make it no longer charge.

Beyond that, it may be a software or hardware issue. For the software, if it is an app that you installed that is fighting with the camera you may be able to uninstall the app. Hard to tell which one. Best way to rule this out is to backup your apps & data using the App Backup app. Then back up your other files (dowloads, movies, music, pictures, etc) that are not tied to an app and then wipe the tablet and see if it still does it with no software installed.

If it continues to do it, you could have a bad software installation or hardware issue. Either one will need to be returned.

Awesomepossum

Feb 14, 2012
Thanks. I was starting to think I wasn't gonna get a reply. After happening 2x and my posting it up, the problem hasn't occurred. I will keep eyes open for the problem. I will post up again should it happen.

After my last occurrence I did run the battery all the way down. Also the last reboot seems to have solved the problem. Hoping its a permanent fix :)

Garry3211

Feb 20, 2012
I am also still within the 14 day return from BB.
zhao3.jpg
zhao2.jpg
zhao4.jpg

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum​

Last edited:

Awesomepossum

Feb 14, 2012
Gary, are you experiencing the same camera issue too?

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
Hi guys,

After a couple hours of use my camera app shows a black screen where the portrait is supposed to show. I've tried changing from camera to video recorder but that doesn't change anything. I've tried exiting the camera app and using other apps then coming back into the camera app.. Same black screen. This has happened twice now within 2 days. The only way to fix this is to reboot the tab. After the reboot, the camera app works like new again.

Btw I purchased my tf from BB new. But when I opened my tab I saw these apps pre-installed: titanium backup, my backup, super user, and es file explorer.

I just ran root checker and it says that the device isn't rooted.

Does everyone have the same camera issue and does everyone have the mentioned apps pre-installed?

Thanks

Sounds like they sold you an open box tab. I would return it. Super user on a new tab?

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Awesomepossum

Feb 14, 2012
As idiotic as it sounds, I haven't returned it yet. Haven't experienced anymore issues either. Eversince the 2 reboots and running my battery all the way till the tf dies, it's been working great. And those pre-installed "rooted" apps haven't affected my tf either :/

Just hoping all this won't create any long term issues since I didn't get any insurance with it.

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
Be careful, you may have a tab with a failed root attempt on it. I would back up your apps and do a reset just to clean it up. And then complain about it be open boxed sold as new. Maybe they refund you the difference or give you a extended warranty.

Awesomepossum

Feb 14, 2012
Be careful, you may have a tab with a failed root attempt on it. I would back up your apps and do a reset just to clean it up. And then complain about it be open boxed sold as new. Maybe they refund you the difference or give you a extended warranty.

Thanks