TF101 will not charge

Diggs

Sep 19, 2010
I have had this tablet for less than a week. It has updated to 3.1 but now it will not charge (tablet or dock). I have tried with the original charging brick and with one that came with my Droid X. I also tried a USB connection to my PC. No good.

Any word from Asus? I checked their forums and found nothing.

TIA, Diggs

Edit: I have confirmed the original brick is good by using a different USB to micro-USB and charging my Droid X with it.

Edit2: Every site from a google search (http://www.google.com/search?q=90-O...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) for the AC adapter says it is 5v, not 15v.

When I connected the tablet to my PC, it connects for data transfer, so I know that at least part of the cable is good.

This is not a good thing.

Diggs

Last edited:

redstar427

Jul 22, 2011
Unfortunately, Asus does not use the standard 5 volts on it's usb charger. It uses 15 volts, so plugging it into a computer, usb hub, or most any other usb charger, which all use 5 volts, will not work.
In response to this, I have purchased a spare Asus charger for the Asus Transformer tablet.
There are several places to buy one online.
I found one at:
ASUS Transformer TF101 AC Adapter (Includes USB Power Adapter & USB Connector Cable). ASUS 90-OK06AD00020Y

=============================================
My current Android tablets:
Asus Transformer, TF101-B1, 32 GB internal
with Docking Station
rooted, Prime v1.6 ROM (Android Honeycomb, 3.1)
Netformer 15 kernel, OC'd @1.6 GHz

Last edited:

photo_addict

Jul 7, 2011
Hi,

my TF recieved an over the air update about a week ago and afterwards it stopped taking a charge. With the TF in standby, plugging in the charger would make the TF light up, so it was recognising that the charger had been plugged in but the notification icon at the bottom right of the screen would remain as if nothing had been plugged in.

I read elsewhere that this problem had affected a few other units after the OTA update but had been resolved by pressing and holding both the power botton and the down volume button for about 10 seconds. Then you are asked if you want to delete all data, press the down volume button again to say no, it then rebooted and the charging problem disappeared.

No idea if this is the same problem that you are getting but maybe its worth a try.

Diggs

Sep 19, 2010
Well, I did the Power/Down Volume thing. It made no difference when I said "No" to a wipe so I did it again and said "Yes" to a wipe. Again, no change. It still says to plug in the charger.

Diggs

wricks

Aug 6, 2010
My wife had the same issue with hers. All she did was to blow canned air into both the male and female side of the connection (where it plugs into the TF 101) and it worked.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
I know this is gonna sound off the wall:rolleyes:- But put the power brick in a zip lock bag and put in the freezer for an hour or so. It resets something inside. I never needed to do it but read 3 times that it worked. Good luck.

Anomander

Jun 16, 2011
How depleted is the battery? If the charger and the cable are working it sounds like you may have to contact ASUS which would suck. Sorry to hear you are having troubles. Have you upgraded to 3.2 yet? The problem may be though even if you have an update that the battery may be below 50% and it will not allow the update. Any chance you are using a USB extension cable to help charge with? I know USB 2.0 Extension cable can not be used with the charger and the cable and that if you need to use a USB extension then it needs to be 3.0. I think if you are having troubles with this and have only had it for a week I would take it back and ask for a different one, you shouldn't have issues like that after a weeks use and if you do get it fixed, do you want to put up with potential problems?

Tboyd86

Jan 26, 2012
Hi. I've joined this forum as I've had a similar problem and thought I'd search for existing topics first.

I was just wondering what happened with regards to your Transformer not charging?

I've had mine 3 months and it seems to be doing the same. I also tested the dock / connection to computer and it recognises these things fine, just won't charge. I actually sent it back to Asus (complete with a letter descriping the problem as there wasn't the option to add this info on applying for a RMA). The Transformer has been returned with a note saying "no problems" (and enclosed documents not even opened). Therefore I think my next option would be to buy a charger (which seem either hard to get hold of / quite expensive for "testing purposes"). Just thought it would be interesting to see how your story ended...

Thank you

Sean081978

Jul 8, 2011
I had a similar problem in the fall. All I had to do was push the adapter into the slot with a counter-intuitively large amount of pressure until I noticed an indication it was charging. I had to do the same thing each time for about a week and then it just started working like normal again after that.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I had a similar problem in the fall. All I had to do was push the adapter into the slot with a counter-intuitively large amount of pressure until I noticed an indication it was charging. I had to do the same thing each time for about a week and then it just started working like normal again after that.

One thing to check for, and it is not always obvious, is some foriegn matter can get in the cable or slot. I would check very carefully before you put too much pressure as it could cause permanent damage.

Sent from a Gibson using Tapatalk - heavy metal edition

Sean081978

Jul 8, 2011
That is true about first checking for debris. I should also note that I was experiencing the charging problem on both halves, therefore leading me to think the problem was with the charger and/or wires; and I was applying that force to the seemingly sturdier bottom half. Also, just so I don't sound like a crazy person who goes around trying to break things, I found that solution posted on 2 other forums through Google search, which led me to try it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forums

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, its very odd, and if it is happening on both keyboard and tablet it would seem that is nearly has to be a problem with the cable (?). One good thing (for me at least) if I ever do have this problem you guys will have already worked out a solution. Gotta love this forum.

Sent from a Gibson using Tapatalk - heavy metal edition

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
Contact Asus support and get another charger from them. I posted a response to a problem with the cable end breaking in this forum. 2 days later, I got a response from Asus and they sent be a new cable without any fuss. I have been an Asus client for many years, and whenever I had a problem, they have always been quick to response without any hassle. Also, the label on the charging block says its 5 amps, but what is doesn't say is that it is usb 3.0. The cable that comes with the block for the transformer is a usb 3 cable. If you use an extension cable with it (as many have done because its so short) it must be a usb 3.0 extension cable; a usb 2.0 cable will not work.

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
The ASUS wall wart is the Eee Pad line's weak spot. I have had it stop working for me twice now, and it was just overheated. The fix was to put it in a zip-loc bag for 20 minutes and then taking it out. Viola.

Over at a sister site dedicated to the Eee Pad line I have written a guide for Charging and Boot issues. Here is the link to it: http://www.transformerforums.com/fo...6-rs-guide-so-your-transformer-wont-boot.html

Check it out if you ever have any charging or booting issues.

TehPiston

Feb 5, 2012
I had this same problem and it was driving me nuts, then I checked the forum, on page two there was a guide posted by a user, and in it there was something REALLY SIMPLE but such a design flaw, the wall wart has a usb port that can take the cable both the correct way, and the wrong way around, so I had my cable in with the usb symbol lined up with the symbol on the charger, this was wrong, as soon as I reversed it it immediately turned on and started to charge.