TF201 Keyboard not recognized--can I use a Bluetooth wireless model?

BabaGo

Jun 13, 2012
Ever since I got my TF201 back from ASUS following the repair of the overheating issue which effectively killed the whole tablet, my ASUS keyboard does not work. I am rather fond of typing with two hands so using the stylus to pick and peck is not satisfactory.

ASUS sent me a new charger and connector in the box with the returned TF201, and there are no overheating issues since then.

My question is, has the battery inside the keyboard died too?
Can I open up the keyboard to replace it myself? Or at least check to see what it is?
I have no clue what they mean in settings about the GOOGLE or Android keyboard and the ASUS keyboard, but I've tried it with both options and it is still a brick.

I also purchased the MSI keyboard which is wireless Bluetooth because I read that it might pair with Android tablets. However, I currently use it with a MSI Windpad (purchased when I thought the ASUS was not going to come back to life). This cute little Bluetooth keyboard and the Wedge Bluetooth mouse work perfectly with the Windpad. Any ideas folks might have about its compatibility with my ASUS would be appreciated. I don't want to upset the pairing with the Windpad should other experience know it won't pair with the ASUS. Thanks folks.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
When you plug the charger into the keyboard does the charging light go on at all? Not 100% clear on the not working statement.

The BT keyboard and mouse should work and shouldn't interfere with the other tablet.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I would take your keyboard dock to a BestBuy and ask them if you can test it on a tablet there (TF700) to see if the keyboard is dead or not. Sometimes it is an issue with the tablet, sometimes it is with the keyboard. If the keyboard is dead, you could send it in for warranty repair. If it works in the store, then it is an issue with your tablet that was caused by Asus at the repair facility. I would then call Asus and send both pieces back for repair again. Yes, it is not ideal but it should fix the issue. And even if the battery is dead in the dock, it will still work by stealing power from the tablet battery.

I have not tried any BT keyboards, but most all except some of the crApple ones should work.