TF700 drops wireliess when SSID in disabled.

bass_gas

Feb 7, 2012
Just purchased TF700. Downloaded all updates. Here is my question. Why does my wireless SSID need to be broadcasting in order for the tablet to work. All of my other computers (4) go thru the process when first set up of enabling SSID connecting then disable SSID. They all connect from then on. When I disable the SSID (because I do not want it broadcasting around the neighborhood) the TF700 drops the wireless connection untll SSID is re-enabled??????

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I have read reports of that before. I can't tell you why, but you may want to change the SSID to something obscure then enable WPA/WPA2 for your security. Wish I had an explanation.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
As Lee stated, it's common for tablets to require broadcasting an SSID in order to connect. It's not really a concern though, because not broadcasting it doesn't really protect you anyway. It will barely slow down someone who's trying to break into your network. Those people have scanners that will detect your network whether you're broadcasting the ID or not. The most important thing you can do is use a "good" password to protect your network. If you're concerned about someone being on your network without your knowledge, there are free programs like wireless network watcher that will list every device connected to your network from the router on out. Wireless Network Watcher - Show who is connected to your wireless network