TF700T Dead After Jelly Bean Update

tamu_kevin

Oct 27, 2012
Hi everyone, I am trying to figure out what the next step to diagnosing my TF700T. Two days ago I finally opted to do the Jelly Bean update, I initiated the update and went to sleep while leaving the tablet plugged into an outlet. I unplugged it the next morning and went to work. Later that afternoon, when I went to use it, it would not turn on so I figured the battery had possibly run dead. I have left it charging for ample time now and every time I attempt to turn it on it acts as if it is still dead (it will not boot up). I am not sure if this has to do with the update, but it was the last thing I did so it seems to correlate.

In a nut shell:

- Tablet will not boot up after update, thought this problem may be independent of the update

- Service light is always amber regardless of how long it is plugged in and regardless of the power source

-
I'm not sure if this is of any help, but the last two times the tablet got to the 15% it gave me a low battery message as expected, but then the tablet suddenly shut off instead of allowing me to drain the last 15% battery.

-Is there anyway the charging cable could be faulty even though I normally leave it plugged into the same outlet (i.e. it doesn't get moved around/stuffed in a bag)?

Thank you for any direction you can give me

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

The cable or the charger could both be an issue, but quite coincidental. My suggestion would be to let it sit for 8-10 hours unplugged. Then use the charging cable to plug it into a running PC for 5-6 hours. Don't pay any attention to your PC seeing it or not. (there is a method to this madness).

After all that time on the PC hold the power button for at least 20 seconds and report back. Initially we're trying to see if we can get the battery to deplete, then take a trickle charge from the PC. I suspect you may have a bad charger but this will rule out a few things, especially if it turns on after all that.

Nibiru2012

Oct 6, 2012
Did you have an adequately charged TF700 when installing the JB update?

Did you allow the system to reboot and such?

Did you go into "Settings" and then choose "Backup & reset" and then initiating a "Factory Reset"? This should be done THREE times in a row. For some reason, why I don't know, this method works the best.
(When going back into the tablet after the "Factory Reset" procedure, don't login, just skip the setting and do the "Factory Reset" two more times.

Then turn off the tablet and do a hard boot, or what's known also as a "Cold Reboot" by pressing the Power button and the Volume Down button at the same time. When you some some very small script in the upper-left corner of the screen let go of the buttons and it will reboot.

Why did you go to sleep after the update? Was the update already installed? Did you download the update via the Asus updater or did you download the ZIP file ROM from the Asus Support website?

Keep us posted because I'm curious about this.

~Nibs

tamu_kevin

Oct 27, 2012
Hi all,

leeshor: The tablet was allowed to discharge Saturday afternoon and half the day Sunday. I plugged it into my PC about forty five minutes ago, no amber light, no nothing.

Nibs: As said in my OP I had it plugged into its charger via outlet as I initiated the update and went to sleep. That is why I am wondering if possibly my charger "failed" as it was installing the update or some kind of freak accident like that. This puppy has worked flawlessly, and I waited a long time for this tablet to get released so I am surprised I'm encountering this.

"Did you allow the system to reboot and such?"
- I did not stop the system from automatically rebooting because I was sleeping if that is what your referring to.

- I installed the automatically downloaded OTA update that appeared on my tablet from ASUS.
- Yes I have tried a cold boot with no success.
- The other questions you've asked I have not been able to do as I cannot get the tablet to even initiate the booting process.

On the slight possibility it is a charging issue with the cable, I have ordered another one and it will be here tomorrow.

I appreciate all the input so far yall,

Kevin

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
You will need to keep it connected to your PC for quite some time. It will not indicate charging at only 5v so you have a way to go yet.