TF700T - New Firmware Update To: 10.4.425

Nibiru2012

Oct 6, 2012
Asus released a new firmware update today for the TF700.

It updates to v10.4.425. It seems to have made the OS snappier and quicker.

Browsers are snappier too. All three browsers I use: Stock Android, Boat and Dolphin w/JetPack Addon are quicker and more responsive than before.

The new firmware is available only as OTA for the time being. The ROM download should be available in a week or so, if Asus holds their usual timetable.

Just go to Settings, About Tablet, Check For Update and go from there.

Be sure to do a "Cold Boot" prior to the firmware update. This ensures a clean boot from the Linux kernel, with no unnecessary items in the background.

mlamanna

Dec 31, 2012
I had just hit update when flashed on the screen, should I be concerned that I did not do a reboot first? (Did not see this post before doing it)

LeighJ

Jan 30, 2013
Hi all. Can someone help a newbie out? I have had my tablet since November. When I first got it I believe it allowed me to do a firmware update, but I have not seen one come through since. You just go to Settings and About Tablet and System Firmware update, correct? The Check updates is never available to select as it is just greyed out. I don't even know what version I am on. Can someone direct me? I am really hoping it just needs an update because for me this tablet (and it is my first tablet), this thing has just been a piece of crap. Browsing on it is just a nightmare on both the stock and on the Dolphin browser I downloaded. Constantly crashing and just slow as can be.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

Go to Settings - About - Build Number. There should be some numbers in it, 10.X.X.X. What are those?

To attempt an update, go to Settings - Apps - All - CMClient - Clear Data & Force Close. Repeat for DMClient.

Reboot.

Check for update.

Nibiru2012

Oct 6, 2012
Hi JeighJ ... Sorry to see that you're having some negative issues with your TF700.

Go to this page at the Asus website to download the firmware update. ASUS - - ASUS ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T Click the Download tab and select 'Android' as the OS. Scroll down until you see the version for the country you reside in. Below you'll see the info on the US version. It's a fairly big file, about 467 MB.

It will download as a ZIP file. Use an unzip program such as WinZIP or WinRAR to extract the ZIP file. It will create another folder with another ZIP file inside.
DO NOT unzip the ZIP file in the newly extracted folder. Copy & Paste the ZIP File in the folder to the "ROOT" directory of your tablet via a USB connection. Disconnect the USB and you should see a notification stating an update is available. Wait and turn off the tablet. Remove any microSDHC cards, if inserted. Then hold down both the 'Power' button and the 'Volume Down' button at the same time. You'll see it boot up with some tiny script in the upper-left corner. This is known as a 'Cold Boot' where is actually boots from the Linux kernel and all extraneous data in memory eliminated. Once you're back to the Home Screen, then the update notification should appear again. BE SURE THE TABLET is at least charged to 70% or better. Select the 'Update' and let the tablet do its thing updating, should take about 10 minutes.

Once the update is complete you're back to the Home screen, then go to 'Settings' then 'Backup & Reset'. Choose 'Factory Data Reset', and let the tablet again do its thing. When that's finished, you'll see the screen appear as when you first used the tablet asking to setup accounts and such. Bypass all that and do not connect the WiFi. Do another reset as just previous, then do it again. For some reason and why this is I do not know but doing a 'Factory Data reset' three times in a row really helps to smooth things out. After the third reset is done, then setup your tablet as you did before and do all the updates and such. Any apps you downloaded from the Play Store will show up when you go to your settings page there and you will be able to reinstall them.

It's also a good idea to do another 'Cold Boot' after you have your tablet accounts set up and all apps are installed and updated.

Below is what the description looks like on the Asus Support page:

Version V10.4.4.25(US)
Description ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T Firmware: V10.4.4.25 (for US SKU version only)
Steps of update:
1. Check the software version of your ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T *
2. Download the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T Firmware: V10.4.4.25 (for US SKU version only) and Update version of SOP (from “Manual” Item)

*Please note that the firmware update cannot do *SKU conversions* or downgrades of your current software version. Using the wrong SKU may cause an update failure. You can only update your software version if you use the same SKU.
To check the software version of your ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T, please go to:
[Settings] -> [About tablet] -> Build number
Example: You should be able to see the build number WW_epad-9.X.X.X._2012xxxx, where “WW” means SKU
File Size 466,96 MBytes

I hope this works for you, I have personally done all my updates this way and have had no issues at all.

leeshor and Frederuco both will vouch for this method.

Good Luck! ~Nibs :cool:

LeighJ

Jan 30, 2013
I am on build 9.4.5.30-20120907. Fredurco, did all your steps but Check Update is still greyed out.

Nibs, sorry you may have to treat me a little more newbie than that. You lost me with the USB connection. So am I needing to download this zip directly to my tablet or am I doing it to a computer in which I have to transfer it this device?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I would download it to your tablet using a web browser.

Next, use the app ES File Explorer from the play store to extract the .zip file once. As nibs said it will still be a .zip.

Move this file to the /sdcard/ directory and you should see a notification for an update by the clock.

Nibiru2012

Oct 6, 2012
I apologize if I confused you. I tried to be concise in my info.

Use your Asus USB charging cord and unplug it from the charger and plug your tablet into your desktop computer or laptop. Then you can download the file and unzip it and then transfer it to the tablet via the USB cable.

Frederuco's suggestions will work too.

LeighJ

Jan 30, 2013
Nibs, no your instructions are very helpful. I was just confused on why I could not install directly to the tablet. My other computer is not operational right now, so I will try what Frederuco suggested for that part.

Thank you all for helping me. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

LeighJ

Jan 30, 2013
I would download it to your tablet using a web browser.

Next, use the app ES File Explorer from the play store to extract the .zip file once. As nibs said it will still be a .zip.

Move this file to the /sdcard/ directory and you should see a notification for an update by the clock.

Just to clarify, when you say root directory you do mean under File Manager straight to sdcard/, correct? I used ES File Explorer to extract. Then I tool the zip under that new folder and copied there. The name of the zip is US_epad-user-10.4.4.25.zip. If that is accurate, nothing ever came up by the clock for a notification, so I obviously am doing something wrong...

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Do you have a US SKU? Check for it in your build number of your current firmware. It will be right after the "epad".

Yes, put it in the /sdcard/ directory.

Another thing to try, rename the unzipped file to "epad_update.zip" without the quotes.

LeighJ

Jan 30, 2013
O.k. it is installed and the build shows the upgrade. I have not done the 2nd part of Nib's instructions yet. So is it necessary to to a factory reset each time you do an upgrade? Just seems like a lot of hassle to have to reinstall all the apps and set up your user info etc. Does the upgrade not function correctly without doing that?