The aPAD ----------------------

overdose

Aug 29, 2011
Hi guys, ive had (the Apad) for a year now, pictures as below!! what i would like to know is i want to upgrade the ANDROID system to a newer updated version the details of what my system is :

Model No - : sdk demo
Firmware Ver - : 1.5
Kernel Ver - : 2.6.25 (Rockchip ver. 1.2.7 (ruiguan)
Build No. - : RK-1.3.2eng.root.20100630.145439

theres also a barcode sticker with the following numbers undeath it as follows : YY86R703-10070682 also is this Android Tablet a good one??

tablet1.jpg

tablet3.jpg

tablet2.jpg

tablet4.jpg

If anyone could help me in this upgrade i would be very appreciated aswell as any comments..

Thanks in advance.

Jimi

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. This is running the Rockchip 2808. Unless there is a Community build which is stable, I would suggest you consider an upgrade to a different Tablet. This Chipset has been updated many times over in the past year. Think of this as a Pentium, and You cannot get past Windows NT.

overdose

Aug 29, 2011
Hi gurgle, thanks for your post back!! can i ask how do you know if this tablet has been updated many times? ive had this tablet imported from china and ive only ever had it in the drawer. When you mean by Community Build whats that? is there any way i could upgrade to anything better than i currently have in my tablet? it works well and internet is fast and picks up at long distances etc but just like windows xp, id like to try windows 7 as so to say lool... can i ask also gurgle, what company actually makes these as there are soooo many tablets out there!!!

Regards

Jimi

P.S. what tablet do you recommend me to get? could you tell me by specifications below on the link if you think this one is a good one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-2-GENU...=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item19c7a15fcb

Last edited:

eheart

Aug 24, 2011
Just registered myself to this forum. I am planning to purchase an entry level 7" Android 2.2 Tablet for approx $160. I am planning to use this as a GPS screen by installing a MAPS software compatible for Android. I have an external Bluetooth Receiver (Holux GR-239). I want to know if the below config will help. More over please let me know the software that will show maps and driving direction as I drive down with the GPS receiver ON and connected to the tablet. Is there any app on Android OS (google market site) that can talk to external GPS receiver and show it on the maps?

i also want to know if I can feed HDMI Input to this tablet and use it as an external LCD monitor for my camera which has HDMI Output.

is it possible to upgrade to Android 2.3 on this hardware? If yes, how is it possible?

Any good Virus scanner on this platform?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The meaning of so many Chipset updates is using the PC analogy. That Board is using the first Android version reliable on a Tablet. (1.5) We are now at 3.1. Think NT/Windows98 vs Windows 7. The Chips of the 2808 found on your system is comparable to a Pentium and the latest 4 core is similar to an I5 or AMD 4Core for Tablets. That gives you a real idea how fast and intensity of development has occurred.

I am not going to recommend any vendor off of EBay or Shenzen 4th tier providers. These never provide the needed reliability or support. I have had my own experiences in that technology. It may look neat, and up to date and Low Priced. BUT, it will come with the price of little to no support, poor reliability potential and difficult to exchange. If you want to bite that apple, go for it. Just be prepared for some potential pain.

Cheers

Hi gurgle, thanks for your post back!! can i ask how do you know if this tablet has been updated many times? ive had this tablet imported from china and ive only ever had it in the drawer. When you mean by Community Build whats that? is there any way i could upgrade to anything better than i currently have in my tablet? it works well and internet is fast and picks up at long distances etc but just like windows xp, id like to try windows 7 as so to say lool... can i ask also gurgle, what company actually makes these as there are soooo many tablets out there!!!

Regards

Jimi

P.S. what tablet do you recommend me to get? could you tell me by specifications below on the link if you think this one is a good one?

10.2" GENUINE SUPERPAD 2 ANDROID 2.2 8GB TABLET PC UK | eBay