The Final Fix for WiFi is?

Aaron2

Jun 9, 2011
Reading from beginning to end of threads discussing the WIFI failure of the Sylvania SYNET7LP is leaving my eyes glazed over, and unclear as to the Clear Fix to resolve this matter.

Is there a Net Net final fix for the wifi issue, after all of the ad nauseam discussion and tangents?

I'm this far from taking this thing to Goodwill with a pile of other junk. Life isn't long enough to try to resolve design problems in such poorly engineered products.

Last edited:

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
I hate to say it... but it's way too soon for a 'final' anything with these Tablets. "work in progress" is the phrases of the day, week, month, quarter, season, the for see able future. We, being in no way associated or in direct touch or influence with the developers, have found some ways that have help some with certain problems under certain conditions.
With out knowing what it is that you are trying to fix, and under what conditions your problem occurs, I really couldn't give you anything more than a 'shrug.'

"I saw a sign in the window that said : ' Help Wanted' So I ran in and asked 'What's wrong?'"
You gotta give us some inkling of a clue as to what you are talking about that you want to 'Finally' fix.
If it's the problem were you can log into any WiFi in the nation without a password from anywhere and get 100Gbs/s download speeds... we still haven't found a fix for that. :)
You HAVE to remember that this is a <$200 Tablet... NOT in any way shape or form a >$600 iPad.

Last edited:

Aaron2

Jun 9, 2011
The Wifi problem I referred to is very common, and has typical symptoms among all complainants I have read. The wifi looses configuration, selection of the proximal WAP that was previously configured and in use. Occurs when the tab is allowed to go to sleep. When its power-cycled/restarted it returns to the previously configured WAP (when @ same location), or a previously used WAP every time.

Yes I realize its an <$200 tab, I suppose following that line of thinking it would be ok for your favorite low-cost cell phone's feature to fail to operate as the manufacturer had intended, so users would have to power the phone off and back on for it to recognize a new cell site, if the user moved since the last use...

Last edited:

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
"I saw a sign in the window that said : ' Help Wanted' So I ran in and asked 'What's wrong?'"
You gotta give us some inkling of a clue as to what you are talking about that you want to 'Finally' fix.
If it's the problem were you can log into any WiFi in the nation without a password from anywhere and get 100Gbs/s download speeds... we still haven't found a fix for that. :)
You HAVE to remember that this is a <$200 Tablet... NOT in any way shape or form a >$600 iPad.
More than a bit patronizing st0ne.
As Aaron2 says the issue is well documented for a lot of us, on this site and others.
It should not matter what the unit costs
If its sold as having workable wifi and that functionality stops every now and then, then thats not right. Price does not enter into it.

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
More than a bit patronizing st0ne.
As Aaron2 says the issue is well documented for a lot of us, on this site and others.
It should not matter what the unit costs
If its sold as having workable wifi and that functionality stops every now and then, then thats not right. Price does not enter into it.
LOL Yes price does enter into it.
The Wifi only stops when another feature (Standby) is used.
That feature is not advertised, so if you want to fix wifi, turn off the standby feature.

That might be one of the differences between a $100 and $600 pad.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
The Wifi only stops when another feature (Standby) is used.
That feature is not advertised, so if you want to fix wifi, turn off the standby feature.

I won't use the word "shoddy" in reference to the code, but it would more than fit. Theses were sold with almost beta software. They have gotten to beta 5 and some things have been changed, little has been fixed, and all have been frustrated at some point. That being said... If the phrase "a work in progress" is not something you want to deal with for such a cheap price you really need to return it and spend more money on something that is a little further along in it's development. I won't say iPad because the first one hadn't even hit the stores before they were working on the 2nd and 3rd. It's the nature of the beast. Way back in the 80's a tech writer mused that "someday technology would advance so fast that it would be imposable to get a product home from the store before it was obsolete."

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
The standby dropped wifi 'feature' if that's what it is, is not the only 'enhancement' I have issues with when it comes to the wifi.
Random wifi dropouts during surfin is another interesting little feature I could also do without, but I won't go over this because it's all been covered in other threads on a number of occasions.

st0ne is right - the word 'shoddy' does spring to mind when it comes to these tablets code. When it comes to the wifi code, its Beta at best.

Price should not enter into this. If you have any technology you should expect it works as advertised, whatever the cost.
I have a cell phone which costs far less than this tab, and wifi is not an issue for it.

Last edited:

lorenii

May 2, 2011
Reading from beginning to end of threads discussing the WIFI failure of the Sylvania SYNET7LP is leaving my eyes glazed over, and unclear as to the Clear Fix to resolve this matter.

Is there a Net Net final fix for the wifi issue, after all of the ad nauseam discussion and tangents?

I'm this far from taking this thing to Goodwill with a pile of other junk. Life isn't long enough to try to resolve design problems in such poorly engineered products.

None- yet.

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
@Aaron2,
lorenni gets to the nub of your question. No there is no fix.
I was hoping for an upgrade from my tablets 'makers' - Disgo, as promised on their my_Disgo twitter page over the last few months.
That may have helped all on this forum if there was a wifi fix. But nothing yet back from them and they are ignoring my questions on this subject. I can't see a quick fix unfortunately.

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
I have a cell phone which costs far less than this tab, and wifi is not an issue for it.
:confused:Really, how much was that? :confused:An Android Cell phone for ~ $100 I'd like to see that!!:eek:
They are usually so expensive they are sold with time payments to obfuscate the true cost. Usually an initial payment plus monthly payments usually for 24 months.
The last time I checked you couldn't buy an Android Cell phone for total payments of less than $1000.

We are talking about wifi, here, and that service is generally available for free. Cell phone companies want to make sure wifi works well, that way you pay for a network you rarely use.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I paid $129 for my Optimus V, no contract and no activation fee, $25 per month plan with unlimited data through Virgin Mobile.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum

rickio

May 14, 2011
Yup i got a virgin mobile optimus as well. I cant say i have looked hard but i never saw a 1,000 DOLLAR smartphone. I suppose its possible.

Sent from my Full Android on S5PV210 using Android Tablet Forum

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
:confused:Really, how much was that? :confused:An Android Cell phone for ~ $100 I'd like to see that!!:eek:
They are usually so expensive they are sold with time payments to obfuscate the true cost. Usually an initial payment plus monthly payments usually for 24 months.
The last time I checked you couldn't buy an Android Cell phone for total payments of less than $1000.

We are talking about wifi, here, and that service is generally available for free. Cell phone companies want to make sure wifi works well, that way you pay for a network you rarely use.
Sorry but that is a poor excuse for the bad wifi with this product.

As you asked this is what I signed up to about 9 months ago.
HTC Wildfire - 18 M contract £20/pm (10 months free) on T-Mobile from Mobiles.co.uk + TCB, so potentially £6.11/month! - Expired - HotUKDeals

I got the early deal (so not the effective £6.11/month), so effectively this HTC Wildfire is costing me £3.89/month for 18 months. Free smartphone, 100mins, 100 texts and 'unlimited' (ok 1gb) broadband. Its off topic, but you asked. Do the math.

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
Yup i got a virgin mobile optimus as well. I cant say i have looked hard but i never saw a 1,000 DOLLAR smartphone. I suppose its possible.

Sent from my Full Android on S5PV210 using Android Tablet Forum

Anything from ATT or Verizon is $1000, thats actually rather cheap.

Example iPhone from Verizon, $200 upfront, plus $75 per month (Cheapest smartphone plan)
24 month contract, so thats 200+ 75*24 for a total of $2000

Yes Virgin mobile has some good deals, limited selection of phones, but way cheaper than ATT or Verizon.
But their Website says $35 per month (not $25) for unlimited data, limited voice

I use T-mobile, ~$5 per month, dumb phone. But I'm sure that will go away as soon as ATT takes over.

Last edited:

lorenii

May 2, 2011
I use Cricket Mobile with nationwide/unlimited data- $55 and use my jailbroke Sprint HTC Touch (Vogue) with WM 6.5 wiped and flashed with Android 2.3

The phone isnt wifi or GPS capable and there are a couple of glitches that I am working on (camera zoom, random data sync, etc...), but with unlimited data, who cares about wifi...and all of my cars have GPS in them, so I dont need to that either. I have a HTC Touch Pro that I am working on, but the best so far is a dual boot system (andboot method from sd card) and it is way too glitchy. It does have wifi and GPS, but it is twice as thick as my Vogue and I am kind of liking the small phone thing for a change.

I am an HTC fan and my last 4 phones have been HTC WinMob phones... and my next phone will be a full factory Android HTC.

<end hijack>

I hope to be able to get to the bottom of the wifi issue like everyone else ( I have tried the updated driver and that doesnt work ) but until then, I will keep on keeping on with this tablet. I don't believe it is in the driver. I am thinking that it is in the "wake" mode area. I can leave it running with the screen brightness all the way down and idle and it never loses connection. The second I put it into a sleep mode, it drops. There is a missing reload string in the wake mode... and it sometimes loses screen tap to wake too.