The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I'd suggest you look into using Chromecast as an alternative to HDMI and a wireless HDMI transmitter. It would require that you have WiFi available at the location you're shooting, but would allow you to use just about any tablet. I just tested it with my Nexus 7 (2013) running Android 5.0.2 and it worked great. Just turned the camera on and cast the screen to my flat screen TV.

If you're interested, scroll through the Android Tablet News Depot section of the forum. There are several articles about Chromecast there.

Allyboabybo

Feb 3, 2015
hi, I purchased two tablets for my mum and dad....not sure if I'm allowed to link to them but here they are :
http://www.isme.com/hipstreet-phoen...tablet-purple/1436928038.prd?_requestid=12225

does anybody know if they are any good?

1.My parents will only be using it to web surf,shop online,play light games,some type of facetime app(skype etc),store some photos,watch &dl youtube vids and hopefully watch some movies.
If the current kitkat os is ok for this do I not need to bother with rooting the device or do I need to upgrade to lollipop?
2. and 3. N/A
4.Not too bad with tech but no knowledge of android.
5.uk.

Any advice appreciated,thanks.

Xirux Nefer

Feb 10, 2015
Hi,

I'm getting old and have some vision problems.
I was wondering if you know of any tablet model that comes with a decent screen reader.
Basically I want to read books and other documents in PDF, web pages, etc.

In Ubuntu (on my laptop) I've been trying Orca, but I can not read websites and I can not pause / restart anytime I want.

It would be my first experience with a tablet and I've been googling models and prices but I'm still confused.
What I need, basically, I think could be summarized as:

- Decent screen reader
- Obviously an audio output =P
- Can open PDFs,
- With WIFI or network card
- With an USB port so that I can pass it files not on Dropbox
- Can install Dropbox (I guess so, but since I suppose that the processor will be less powerful, maybe it will affect its performance or slow it down or something? Dropbox is quite demanding)
- Preferably with color display, but B / W would also be fine
- No size requirements, generic tablet size I guess XD
- No battery special requirements neither, if it lasts something around two hours I can live with that

I usually do everything with my laptop, and have no Smartphone (I've never had one, in fact)
I don't even know if I should get a Kindle-like tablet instead (which has a different type of display and is B/W), it is not clear to me whether they can open PDFs and if they come with a browser (and if they come with screenreader)

So that's it, if you could recommend me some models, or guide me on my search, I'd appreciate it.
Cheers

Rose4uKY

Aug 1, 2010
So what's the best specked tablet out now a days? I had an Archos before sold it and now have an Asus Transformer Prime TF201. When the Nexus 9 came out and I love HTC I wanted it. I have Tivo and the streaming app wouldn't work on my Asus but I sideloaded it and it's working now. Tablet is still slow and lagging and I would like another tablet sometime soon. Anywhere from 8-10 inches. I mostly facebook play games watch Netflix Hulu and my Tivo shows. Had all HTC phones so not sure if I would want a Samsung tablet or not. I want a fast processor 2-3 gigs of ram and maybe around 3-400 bucks a little more. I saw the Nexus 9 32 gig went down to 429 on Amazon. It doesn't have an SD slot though. But my previous HTC One M7 didn't neither now I have the M8. I've had all HTC phones and I love the boom speakers that are on the Nexus 9 from HTC. And I do want it to have Lollipop and get updates frequently. My Asus I don't even know if I got an update at all if so just one it's on Kitkat still and won't get updated.

Not ready to buy a tablet just yet but if mine was to sell and I got a good one at a good price I would get another. I didn't see a thread here on the Nexus but have read a few reviews on Amazon and Best Buy. I know Samsung has a new one out too I think I read maybe I'll look into it.

kitty555

Mar 31, 2013
Hi ,
I live in UK
Looking for new tablet some advice would be great. Don't want to spend more than £120 pounds / $180.
Specification if possible ,
10.1" Quad Core, 1.8GHz RK3188,
Android 4.42
1 or 2 GB Ram & 16GB NAND , Google play pre-installed,
Mini HDMI, 32gb SD card
Built in 802.11 b/g/n Wifi & bluetooth
Camera .
Any help would be fantastic.
Kitty

SmirkOfPureEvil

Apr 23, 2015
I'm looking for something basic for work. I need wifi, probably android or Windows based. Light and not too expensive. Expandable memory would be nice but not vital. I need to run the office suite.

Thanks!

Aaffyy

Oct 9, 2015
Hi everyone,

I live in the U.S., and have recently gotten the tablet itch (never owned one).

1) I will primarily be using the tablet for internet browsing and probably youtube videos. So, the screen needs to be legible even with small font, but I don't really care if I can watch an HD movie on it. Possibly some movie watching on the occasional business trip. In most cases it will just be a supplement to my personal computer allowing me to look at stuff when I don't want to boot up my entire machine, or my screen is occupied with a game. Then it will occasionally offer some light entertainment functionality when I take it on a trip.

2) I'm willing to spend around $200. I could go a little over that if necessary to get something of quality, but I do not plan on using the tablet as anything more than a supplement so price is a factor (I was looking into the new Amazon Fire that is just $50, but from the reviews I saw there is not enough cross functionality for things outside of the Amazon appstore, ie: no primary youtube app). A reputable brand is also kind of important to me.

3) I think I would like something in the 8"-10" range. Big enough to justify not just using my phone.

4) I am very literate when it comes to the Android OS.

I appreciate any suggestions and/or advice. I probably will hold out for black friday/cyber monday sales so having multiple suggestions may help if one of them go on sale.

Last edited:

Kurosakii

Oct 12, 2015
Hello everyone new to the forum. My dilemma is this I am looking for a tablet windows based or ios primarily for reading manga...

I don't mind android based but app wise android is lacking in the manga app department and that worries me so for now I have found a number of windows and ios that I am excited to get.

So mainly a manga reader and also tons of youtube videos and web browsing.

Won't be leaving the house much with it so not concerned about weight. I'm really confused do I get a surface do I get an apple pro its like ahhh idk it's crazy

I want to get the high end best of the best just due to longevity I don't wanna cheap out then a year from now i'm like I want to draw or I need windows office or something and I don't have the capability

I'm the youtube video always going xbox live app in the background tons of tabs open type of person so any help is greatly appreciated.

Rose4uKY

Aug 1, 2010
Ok so I have now an Asus Transformer Prime TF-201 10 inch 32 gig tablet had it for a few years and it's gotten slow browser lags and it's still running Android 4.1. I've been wanting a Nexus 9 for a while now one I have had all HTC phones love the boom speakers and read good things about it. I know it's been out for a bit now and HTC has had their 40% off deal 2 or 3 times and I've never been able to get one and than today it pops up for 40% off again. Didn't expect to get one but I was able to get a 32 gig one for like $287. The 16 Gigs were gone but I wanted 32. I surf the web hang out on facebook read mail play my games against people and I like to watch my Tivo recorded shows and Netflix. My husband says I really don't need another tablet but he knows I haven't been happy with mine lately and when I told him I was able to get in on the deal he said I could get one. I know their may be better tablets out their but for what I paid 287 I am hoping I got the best for my money. I can't afford no 4 or 500 on a tablet and I still think the Nexus 9 will be better and faster than my Ausus. Do you think it was worth upgrading? Anyone else go from Asus to Nexus. Is the Nexus 9 a good tablet? Is it loud with the boom speakers watching a movie or will I still need my Bluetooth speaker?

Cyric30

Dec 7, 2015
Greetings, im having trouble finding a tablet with several features im looking for and also most of the threads im seeing about some of the features are several years old so im going to ask for some advice if you don mind.
1: I mainly want to find a relatively cheap table to test out a app call Navonics HD, it is a chart plotting program for boating. and possibly some other boating apps.
2: It HAS to have a integrated GPS, as in gps will work without any signal from wifi,3g/4g, truly connect to a gps satellite system.
3: Extra stuff that would be nice, but not necessary would be some form of usb connectivity, some form of hdmi, connect, and SD card, again theses are all secondary to the GPS.
4: Im looking for something relatively cheap, i don't mind used or refurbished if needs be. but i hesitate to put a price amount
5: As to size something in 9" or larger screen size.
6: I dont know a whole lot about android, but i am computer literate, and am not afraid to work with software if need be.
im am in the USA.

Pleasepleaseletmeknow

Jan 15, 2016
Hello,

I am looking for an used tablet, here the answers:

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps:
-> as a navigation device for my car. I need: G-Sensor, GPS, Bluetooth, WLAN, a Sim-Card for Traffic update. SD-Card-Slot. Should be fast enough to let my Navigation Software work (Navigate, HERE maps, CoPilot) , enough internal memory. colour: black. Should be not a "no name" Tablet, cause I need some accessories, fittings .... I thought a Galaxy 3 Lite would be a good choice, but it isn´t.

2) how much you are willing to spend
-> max. 100 Euro

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
-> 7" Display (not 8" to big for the dashboard) The resolution should not be too high, I already need reading glasses
The resolution should not be too high, I already need reading glasses

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
-> my Mobile is rooted...

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
-> Germany

Hope you could help me...

thx

Muaddib

Jan 22, 2016
Hi all, first post, be nice...

I'm looking for a tablet to be part of different displays I make for my company. It should be playing videos or showing our app, so we need a good screen, decent audio would be nice, but be cheap cause it's not really used for anything else (and we don't have money :))

We need Bluetooth for our app.
I was thinking of spending something like 100-150 pounds (I'm in the uk...)
about 8`` would be good I think. less would be too small...
I do know my Android and happy with changing ROMs and stuff, but would rather not.
Thanks!

Last edited:

secuster

Jan 25, 2016
Hi. I am looking for a tablet that can be used as a screen reading tablet for my blind mother. There are a lot of ebooks out there that she would love to listen to that aren't really available as audiobooks. Here is what I am looking for:

1) It will be used solely for screen reading, so it needs a decent screen reading program and wifi to connect to get the books.
2) I would like to keep the price under $300
3) Approximately 7-8 inch screen size, as she needs something large enough to handle without difficulty but light enough not to tire her hands too much during long sessions.
4) I am moderately computer literate, good at following instructions, and have been using an Android 4.1 tablet for the last couple of years.
5) I live in the US.

Thanks!

KathyNorman

Feb 23, 2016
want a 10" and am willing to root the device. I want it mostly to surf the web. Watching flash is a must as that's a key part of the the internet experience.