The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

GenuineFamilyMan

Mar 13, 2016
I'd really appreciate some help.

I need an Android tablet to serve several functions. I'll list a summary first. And expand on that below (in case people are interested in my reasons):

a. GPS (Sygic)
b. G-Sensor
c. Large external memory card capacity (for music)
d. 2x simultaneous bluetooth connections (a recent version please)
e. Wi-Fi (for internet)
f. Running (or able to be updated/rooted to) Marshmallow
g. 3G/4G/LTE phone frequency bands (read #6 below)
h. Features more important than price, but cheap is good ;-)
i. 9-inch (prefered), possibly 10-inch (for movies)
j. Has root/CM support
k. Black in color (if possible)
l. Wireless charging (least important, but is this possible?)
m. Have no idea on CPU, internal memory, or screen type. My smartphone has 3GB/32GB, which has been sufficent so far. (Maybe using for movies dictates what these should be?)
n. Flash (I guess anyway - for the internet?)

Now here's the long version. (Skip if you're not interested.) I just figured it will answer any questions that might come up.

It will be used:

1. In a car for GPS (Sygic) - and speed (have a g-sensor).

2. As a car media player. With that in mind, it should have a large external memory card capacity. Also must be capable of two simultaneous bluetooth connections. Why? So I can pair it to a car stereo (not yet purchased), and a second connection to a bluetooth keyboard/mouse - because...

3. Must have Wi-Fi to access an internet hotspot 'wingle' in the car.

4. I have read that older versions of bluetooth might not support two connections. So I prefer a recent version of bluetooth.

5. Running (or able to be updated/rooted to) Marshmallow.

6. Supports 3G/4G/LTE phone. (I'm in Australia. But I can work out the correct frequency bands. If a tablet supports 3G/4G/LTE in the USA, then it probably does here too.)

7. Price isn't a hurdle. Like everyone, cheaper is better. But if I have to pay $$$ to get the features, then so be it.

8. For size I was thinking 9 inch, maybe 10. But again, that's flexible. I need to meet the other requirements first.

9. I'm comfortable with Android. In fact I prefer the tablet have root-support - because I've read bluetooth audio can constantly drop out, with bloatware churning away in the background. (So I'd like to be able to 'plain-vanilla' the tablet to prevent that.)

10. I'd prefer it to be black, not white. But once again, I'll have to take what I can get.

11. Do tablets have wireless charging? (This would make removing it from plain-sight quicker/easier.)

Thanks for reading. :)

exoticdisease

Mar 18, 2016
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
Most important thing is that the camera is decent quality and has a flash (not Adobe Flash, camera flash). Struggling to find any tablets with a flash camera.

2) how much you are willing to spend
£400

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
above 8 inches

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
not hugely important - business use only so the operatives will only be using a couple of apps

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
London

techmind48

Feb 10, 2012
I have Ainol Novo7 Aurora Tablet. The touch screen is cracked and needs replacement.
Please provide the sellers or vendors selling the tablet touch screen.
I am from India living in Bangalore.

jamie lewis

Oct 6, 2016
OK I want a cheap tablet without the big name price tag, I am willing to buy direct from China and don't mind a 20 day wait for delivery, have a little experience buying from Aliexpress. Resolution 1920x1080 is needed but no more, 7" to 9" size, preferably 32gb storage but will go for 16gb if the price is attractive enough, some gaming capabilities preferred. Android 4.4 minimum Android 5.0 preferred. Wifi only is fine. £100 or less price.

I know there are some really solid Chinese devices but I need to know which ones.

CarolineRas

Oct 16, 2016
Hi, I'd like help choosing a tablet. My laptop is getting old and slow and needs replacing, and I really like the look of what my friends who have an iPad with keyboard to replace their laptop, but I would prefer to stay with Android as it will match other devices in my house.

I'm computer literate and generally competent but it's been a really long time since I've needed to understand computer type stuff as my husband is a geek and takes care of it for me, but he is software and not interested in researching hardware for me.

My needs: it needs to be able to do everything a laptop would do, I'd prefer higher specs as I like my gadgets to last longer.

I'll be doing typical computer stuff, from checking designs from my designer before they go to print, accounting and client records/database for my business, Google docs/open office, watching videos with my child, that type of thing

I know I'll need to buy the keyboard to go with it, if people have suggestions there that would be great too :)

Budget is a little flexible and in the laptop range, so hopefully well under $1000, but expecting over $500.

lusiana

Feb 16, 2017
Hi, I'd like help choosing a tablet. My laptop is getting old and slow and needs replacing, and I really like the look of what my friends who have an iPad with keyboard to replace their laptop, but I would prefer to stay with Android as it will match other devices in my house.

I'm computer literate and generally competent but it's been a really long time since I've needed to understand computer type stuff as my husband is a geek and takes care of it for me, but he is software and not interested in researching hardware for me.

My needs: it needs to be able to do everything a laptop would do, I'd prefer higher specs as I like my gadgets to last longer.

I'll be doing typical computer stuff, from checking designs from my designer before they go to print, accounting and client records/database for my business, Google docs/open office, watching videos with my child, that type of thing

I know I'll need to buy the keyboard to go with it, if people have suggestions there that would be great too :)

Budget is a little flexible and in the laptop range, so hopefully well under $1000, but expecting over $500.

i would try recommending Cube iwork10 ultimate 10.1"
it get an intel atom processor, and a big screen, also dual boot windows and android, and the ram is quite big, 4gb ram with 64gb internal storage.

Stargem

Jun 13, 2017
I am looking for an android tablet. I will be using it for games, my e-library, check mail and surf the net. This will be my travel 'computer' and it must be a minimum of 10" screen .

Any recommendations will be appreciated, thank you

Stargem

THRobinson

Jan 27, 2018
I am looking to replace my Nexus 10... love the tablet but, battery is on the way out, and well, 6-yrs old now. Bought it used 3-yrs ago for $250CAD and been worth every penny.

I was going to grab a used Nexus 9 tomorrow, $150CAD new condition, but even it's kinda old, and 4:3 screen which I'm not sure I like. Though, I went to a few bench-marking websites, and that Nexus 9 seems to be rated pretty high still.

Mostly used for browsing and some games like Transformers and Marvels Champions. I watch videos but just YouTube stuff, not movies, I have a TV for that. I don't need it to be the best, but same time, not laggy. I am borrowing a Nexus 7 (2013) right now, very comfortable, nice quality, very laggy! Was surprised by how much lag there was. Games like Marvel's Champions detects the newer/better hardware and enables better graphics, I can see more shadows and way more reflective surfaces, but lags. Then I switch to a game like Transformers Earth Wars, where there is no change in graphics at all, and it's almost unplayable compared to the older Nexus 10.

I would like to stick with the 16:9 or 16:10 ratio, it's what I'm use to with the Nexus 10, my TV and my PC. I also have very good eyesight, worked in design and did photography so, hoping screen quality like the Nexus 10 as well.

Ideally... front speakers... not sure why some have rear speakers, especially since most people put a case on the tablet and covers the speakers up.

Size... 9-10"... I liked the Nexus 7 for the size, much easier to hold onto, but, kinda pointless to have something not much bigger than a phone. 8" maybe... but ideally 9-10".

16GB is fine... my Nexus 10 is a 16GB no SD card, and I have 6.5GB free, but an SD card slot would be nice. Can save my ebooks and pdfs to it.

So I guess in summary

- 9"-10" screen (8" possibly)
- 16:9 or 16:10 hires screen
- Front speakers
- Moderate gaming, YouTube video, Internet Browsing
- Ideally stock Android
- Looking for around $300CAD... willing to go a bit higher if it's a significant step up

I'm also willing to buy used, like my Nexus10... I guess really just want something as close to what I have now, just, the modern equivalent. Something that will last me 3yrs before I upgrade again.

Any help would be appreciated... my brain is melting trying to sort through specs, benchmarks, and all the various processors and revisions of models etc.

EDIT - Decided on the Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus 10.1". Same resolution, almost identical PPI as the Nexus10, see that Android 7.x is on it now and almost stock looking O/S. Plus, nice big front firing speakers. Had a few issues with a $10off ecoupon on the Lenovo site (was about the only place still selling it and cheaper than Amazon.ca or eBay) so I used the live chat, and sales rep gave me a 10% off code instead. $359CAD with free shipping.

Only issue I have now is, can't seem to find a decent case with wake/sleep function.

Last edited:

Xymox

Jan 31, 2018
Here's what I'm looking for:

Flash, Wi-Fi, and multi-touch. 7-10 inch size should do the trick. Preferably a budget model since this is for my children. So far, the least expensive I've found is aPad A8 at $160ish, but I'm not sure that it's capable of multi-touch. I have rooted a Droid Eris, following well-laid out and simple instructions. I'm comfortable rooting a device if I need to in order to increase functionality. However, I would need a robust dev community who has clear instructions laid out and volunteer support ready to answer questions. I know some devices are more hack-friendly than others. I'm even ok with waiting until March/April to see what shakes out in the up and coming market.

Any suggestions?

Xymox

Jan 31, 2018
I am looking for an android tablet. I will be using it for games, my e-library, check mail and surf the net. This will be my travel 'computer' and it must be a minimum of 10" screen .

Any recommendations will be appreciated, thank you

Stargem

You can choose smth among Samsung, Asus, Huawei and Lenovo models, they have many models with specializations you mentioned. For example, I can recommend Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, I got it in the beginning of this year and I'm totally satisfied with this tablet. It has a big screen, 10 inch size and all media-focused feautures you need, it's very good for watching videos, playing games and listening to music :) Net surfing with it is ok for me too.
Amazon Fire HD 10 could be a good choice too, it's very similiar to my own, has really a perfect screen and is cheaper than Lenovo tablet. His only main minus is poor cam but as I understoof it isn't important for you.
Also try to look through various resources about gadgets with detailed specializations for every models and reviews, it's really helpful for making a choice.

Purple_Star

Feb 7, 2018
Hi, I looked at viewsonic, it looks like an ok tablet. Can you use something like that with a tether to your cell phone if you have a data plan? It looks like the viewsonic only works on wifi.
I noticed blackberry advertises as an advantage to their equipment that you can tether the tablet, so I guess you only have the one data plan to pay. I don't really understand this well as I am new to this market. Thanks

CottonPad

Oct 18, 2018
Im thinking of buying some additional screens for my laptop.
It has two ports so i am able to have two additional screens.
I am considering between two regular screens or screens that extend out of the laptop. They make screens that attach to the back panel and extend in a very cool way.
Any suggestions on what i should go with?

David Spiller

Jun 1, 2019
Hello. I'm looking for a tablet that can play music on the bluetooth speakers I have in my apartment. I want to keep it small and light, around 8", and able to use YoutTube, Pandora, and Spotify apps. Also, it must be able to play music on 3 seperate bluetooth devices simultaneously. 16gb would be nice as I can load more MP3s on it. I have the Walmart Onn 8" but it can't use more than 1 BT device at once. Also, I'd like the tablet to have docking station options. Thank you.

snow jhon

Sep 5, 2019
OK I want a cheap tablet without the big name price tag, I am willing to buy direct from China and don't mind a 20 day wait for delivery, have a little experience buying from Aliexpress. Resolution 1920x1080 is needed but no more, 7" to 9" size, preferably 32gb storage but will go for 16gb if the price is attractive enough, some gaming capabilities preferred. Android 4.4 minimum Android 5.0 preferred. Wifi only is fine. £100 or less price.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I could understand wanting Android 4.4 or 5.0 if an app you're trying to use won't work on newer versions, but you're not going to find a tablet that meets those parameters. Amazon currently has a refurbished Lenovo Tab 4 8 plus (HD screen, Android 7.1.1, 16GB storage) for 74.95 USD (60.98 GBP) right now (source: Lenovo Tab 4, 8in Android Tablet, Quad-Core Processor, 1.4GHz, 16GB Storage, Slate Black, ZA2B0009US (Renewed):Amazon:Computers & Accessories ). You could then spend the remaining amount in your budget and purchase a MicroSD card, drop it in, convert it to adaptable storage and then you'd be done.

Adaptable storage with a 64GB MicroSD is how I use my non-plus Tab 4 8.