The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@aimeelyn Such a tablet does not exist for around $200. You would normally be looking at the Nook Color for $250, but it is a little on the complicated side.

@androider I do not know what is coming in 2 months. But I would keep a close eye on those Notion Ink preorders.

@rheassi If your budget is that high, you could try the Viewsonic gTablet or the Nook Color towards the mid-end, but require tweaking. Or just pick up the Galaxy Tab.

@JDoumo There is no indication that the new Coby tablets will be inexpensive. They will also be American branded, so it does not make sense for your locale. Go to Akiharaba and look for APAD shops. There are many tablets there, and your selection much greater. You should be able to pickup something you like there. The selection is much greater than what I am aware of. You are still probably looking at either a Telechips based tablet (Cherrypad, Nanopad, EM71, M701), or the Marvell based Leader G10 (GPS).

@jrsharp21 I do not associate Rockchip with reliability.

@carstunts There are Coby MID7015s in Canada now. I do not know where in Canada you are, but you should try it out. 3D games wont work, but most basic games will. Next one up is the Archos 70 IT. Do not invest in a shanzhai tablet. It makes more sense to import a tablet branded for American markets.

@SouthernGirl 7 inches is 3 iPhones large - a little smaller than a tissue box looking downwards. I do not have a good comparison of how big the 10 inch is, but it is basically your typical netbook without a keyboard.

There are many kiddy games, but you have to find them. For a youngster, I think an iPad is more appropriate given the build quailty of those devices. I think Coby MID7015 should suit your needs at around $150.

@sonicpuck Join the Nook Color or Viewsonic gTablet clubs.

@draunst You are basically looking at the Archos 101 IT.

@diegoxcastro I think you can get a Galaxy Tab off ebay or something for about that much.

@maxx11 Depends if you want a tablet or a pocket MP3 player.

@newguy It is not usually possible to upgrade Android versions with any tablet. In that range, there is the Huawei Ideos S7, Nook Color, Creative ZiiO 7, Archos 70, and Archos 101 that I recommend that you look at.

SouthernGirl

Feb 2, 2011
@SouthernGirl 7 inches is 3 iPhones large - a little smaller than a tissue box looking downwards. I do not have a good comparison of how big the 10 inch is, but it is basically your typical netbook without a keyboard.

There are many kiddy games, but you have to find them. For a youngster, I think an iPad is more appropriate given the build quailty of those devices. I think Coby MID7015 should suit your needs at around $150.

iPad.....not for $500 dollars. My son is 4 so I am anticipating that he will spill juice on it. I can swing $150.
THANK YOU!

Squirly

Feb 6, 2011
Hello All,

I recently have been looking into some Android Tablets as I am a huge Android nerd after purchasing my original Droid and current Droid X. As for what I am looking for, here are a few things:

- 10" would be ideal, but not required
- full flash support over wifi
- android app market is a must, i use it all the time on my X
- expandable memory
- ~$200 price would be ideal, willing to sacrifice some options to fit this, however i really would like access to the android marketplace above all

Basically this will just be a tablet to carry around and game on, watch movies, browse the web, etc. nothing too fancy. I am capable of flashing and rooting, have done it with all my android devices.

KSR

Dec 30, 2010
Squirly
Well I am looking at the Coby Kyros 7015 and it seems to have your wants. It is a 7" screen though and get the Market if rooted (there are many threads here for that). I heard flash works if you use "Skyfire" as the browser and you can put up to a 16gb microSD card. I've seen it at K-Mart for $180. :)

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Squirly

Feb 6, 2011
I've been looking into the Herotab m802, and so far it sounds awesome. Youtube reviews have been very positive, however on slatedroid (or whatever it is) website theres a ton of negative feedback. I wasn't sure if that was because those people have all rooted and done a ton of mods to theirs and just fried it or what. Anyone have any information on this model? Or any others? I looked into the Kyros and wasn't too into it, but thank you very much for the suggestion. I greatly appreciate it!

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@Squirly Most of the Youtube videos are made by sellers. I have a variant of the tablet, and it has major issues before I can recommend it to basic users. If this is your first time with an Android device, try not to buy the cheaper Chinese tablets. There is no tablet that fits your bracket right now...

Squirly

Feb 6, 2011
I have owned a droid and currently droid x, and have experience rooting my original droid. The main problems I heard about the m802 is the "shaky screen" and eventual unresponsive screen

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

archat68

Feb 6, 2011
This is my first post on the forum.

I looking for a tablet. My requirements are:

Screen size: 7 - 10 inch (10 preferred but can live with a 7 incher if better display and touchscreen is available)
Touchscreen : Capacitive preferred
Connectivity : 3G preferred
Usage : mainly browsing and watching multimedia content
Processor and memory - the best that I can get in my budget - hoping a Tegra II with 512MB RAM ;)

I'm ready to spend a few hours to get it working properly - provided all supports are available :)

I'll be buying most probably from US or UK and get it forwarded to India through my shop N ship account. So, personal pickup from store is not possible - only stores which can mail it within US / UK is my preference.

And lastly my budget : anything between 150$ to 300$.

If some VFM device is available around 150$ - post that too.

Till now sorted out Viewsonic G and Advent Vega. The viewsonic is above my budget but if there is any deal please inform me. The Vega is around 300$ I suppose and is identical to the Viewsonic.

But there are lots of models around 200-250$ - so I'm confused :confused: .

Thanks in advance.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@Squirly For that Freescale APAD, you actually have to open the thing up to solder a ceramic capacitor to fix the shaky screen problem. You would be lucky to get a device that registers long-presses 60% of the time. After that, it still has power issues.

@archat69 Why don't you aim to get a Notion Ink Adam? I think this is your best bet to get exactly what you want in terms of the features you need. Tegra 2 devices will be a little over your budget, but should be well worth it. I am not sure what type of 3G connectivity will be compatible for you locally. The least expensive 3G option is the American Huawei Ideos S7, but I do not think the bands are compatible. Tegra 2 devices start at $350USD. The next best is the Nook Color at around $250.

joeblow2006

Feb 7, 2011
Hi, I'm looking for an Android smartphone without the phone. This is basically the same as a 3.5" or so large tablet. The best example I can provide is the Archos 32 (3.2") http://www.amazon.com/ARCHOS-32-3-2-Inch-Touchscreen-Android/dp/B003X26VNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1296418427&sr=1-1

I would like it to be <$150, preferably purchasable on Amazon. It will be mostly used for apps (Android Market, etc.), web browsing (minimal), and music/videos. GPS and Flash would be beneficial.

I'm definitely not looking for like a 7" tablet - I basically want this to be an Android smartphone without the 3G and voice capabilities, so it should be around 3.5" for the screen size.

I've never rooted a device but I am proficient with Linux and have softmodded things in the past. I would have no problem rooting the device.

I'm currently in Long Beach, CA.

cheekymcgee

Jul 6, 2010
xaueious,

I'm currently looking to purchase this:
Witstech A81G New Version with Full USB (3G via USB dongle) android 2.2 Gsensor

I'm not planning on doing any rooting unless it's absolutely necessary. I want to mainly use it for E-Book Reading, Video, and the occasional web surfing. I've waited for a device of this quality at this price range for a long time. A8 Cortex, Android 2.2, Flash, Removable Battery all priced under $200USD.

I'd greatly appreciate your honest opinion as far as the product and the vendor.

Thanks ahead of time. Cheers.:cool:

archat68

Feb 6, 2011
@archat69 Why don't you aim to get a Notion Ink Adam? I think this is your best bet to get exactly what you want in terms of the features you need. Tegra 2 devices will be a little over your budget, but should be well worth it. I am not sure what type of 3G connectivity will be compatible for you locally. The least expensive 3G option is the American Huawei Ideos S7, but I do not think the bands are compatible. Tegra 2 devices start at $350USD. The next best is the Nook Color at around $250.
Thanks.
I'll have to wait for the Notion Ink.
Any other option at the lower end of my budget if I omit the capacitive screen and Tegra 2?

Saxon747

Feb 7, 2011
Hi!

I'm looking for a tablet with 7 inch capacitive screen and internal 3g. I'm new to android but I think I can handle rooting and all kinds of messing around with it and I do have friends with lots of experience of android :p
I prefer as low price as possible of course, but I'm willing to pay more for good hardware. Also, it should be equipped with good battery. Chinese is ok too (even preferred because of the pricing). BTW this is great forum, lots of useful information!

club

Feb 7, 2011
Looking for a recommendation please.

I'm curious, is it possible to easily find cheap (~$200) tablets with a capacitive screen, instead of the touch-resistive kind? Or does that drive the price through the roof?

I just don't like the touch-resistive screens. Primarily how hard you have to press to get them to respond. Also it feels like those touch layers make the screen a little cloudy and not so crisp. I see the super crisp screens on devices like Droids and Ipod Touch and that's what I'm looking for.

I just returned a Velocity Cruz R101. I liked everything about it, except the touch-resistive screen and the lack of the app market.

Other than the screen, I'm just looking for a basic model to read books, watch movies, and surf the web. Here's my ideal laundry list:

- Primarily I want to use it for ebooks
- 7" capacitive screen
- Want to watch videos on it (either in divx or some format that files can be converted from divx to)
- Wifi
- Accelerometer
- Internal speakers and headphone jack
- something close to 10 hours battery life would be nice
- Something with access to the app market (want youtube app, etc)