The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Codename46

Jan 1, 2011
@Codename46
I don't even think you can find a 3G compatible Huawei S7 in China. The devices were launched to be region specific. Unless you compare the prices based on Taobao, you are probably going to get scammed. The brand name tablets in the US have very competitive pricing. The Chinese are actually importing devices such as the Nook Color.

THanks for the info. 3G capability is not required for me as I'm not going to be using it as a phone.

alareth1976

Dec 26, 2010
Damn!!!!

Barnes&Noble wouldn't ship Nook Color to Italy!!!!!!!!!! :'(

EDIT:

doh! Found a place on ebay that will shipped it to Italy, but at the end I will pay about 329,74$!!

while the Android 2.1 Tablet PC with Multi Touch Screen and HDMI Interface Output will cost around 180$ shipped to it... near half the price :S

Are that bigger differences between the two devices?

I've also found this device 7inch android 2.2 gps/bluetooth tiomap3 cortex a8

How it is ?

thx

Last edited:

AgentSmith

Dec 30, 2010
@AgentSmith
For work, you should get an Android 2.2 device because it has pretty complete push Microsoft Exchange support built in.
You can make changes to Office files, but keep in mind that inputting text into a tablet device is not very good without an external keyboard attachment.
I don't think there is built in support for iCal files, so you need to key in entries calendar manually if you just have access to the tablet after receiving a calendar appointment in email.
If you need 3G, SMS and phone calls, your best options are the Dell Streak, and Huawei Ideos S7.
Android tablets can run indepedently of a PC. In fact you need third-party software to achieve similar functionality as iTunes does for the iPad.
Android applications permissions vary, but all require your approval before being installed. That includes access to files on your phones or to other specific applications.
Android does multitask, but it tends to slow down the device even on current generation devices (Cortex A8).
Tegra 2 is already here. What isn't here is Google's guidelines for tablet design.
Android is ready for large screens starting from 2.3. But the experience of running older versions of Andorid on 7" devices is acceptable if not very good.

Thanks a lot for the info. I have decided to wait and watch for a month or two - CES, iPad 2, Playpad, Android 2.4 etc. and then go for tablet.

alareth1976

Dec 26, 2010
Well...
I think that finally I've sorted out what I want from a Tablet :D

Main use for it will be as eBook reader with the capacity to watch movie (unlikely to be HDs), net-surfing and some games now and then

so...
Screen : better if capacitive, but a good resistive could be good. Not below 7" and with good brightness/contrast. (Are there any tablet with Led screen? could be better for reading? If yes, I guess it will raise the price...)
OS : Android 2.2 near a base request... 2.1 could go only if with plans to be upgraded
CPU : not below 700
RAM : 256 min
Internal Storage : 2gb min
Resolution : better 16:9 , at least 800x480
WiFi : needed (but I think that all tablets have it :D )
Bluetooth : not needed (will use my HTC Legend with Froyo as wifi hotspot)
USB : at least 1 needed
Expansion Slot : Micro Sd, at least 16gb capable
GPS : not needed
3d Capability : better if not too crappy :D
g-sensor : like above...
Weight : not too heavy possibly
Software : Official Market required
Price : below 200$ (shipped! :p)

I've surfed really billions of sites and watched billions of tablets, but the only one that seems to meet most of these requirements is Android 2.1 Tablet PC with Multi Touch Screen and HDMI Interface Output.

Have I missed some other tablets that could do the job for me?
Nook Color should be great and will worth a greater budget, but it is too complicated to send it outside us (i've seen some services that act as intermediary)

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

fwauba

Jan 4, 2011
I am looking for a tablet.

I've just joined and I posted this in the new members section. Thought I might get more of a replies from here.

I work offshore where only a small number of the rigs have wifi access, so im looking for a tablet with the ability to connect ethernet. Either with RJ45 port or with the USB converter.
Are the USB-RJ45 converters any good? And how many tablets have this ability?

One reply I got in the new members section advised me to look at a wifi router to take offshore. Good option in my eyes.

I think it would have to be android, to get the best apps for communicating with friends. But maybe someone could correct me on that if i'm wrong?

One tablet I was looking at was the Flytouch II, and it's many variant names.
Looks a decent, cheap tab and hits all the bases with connection ports. (RJ45, HDMI, micro SD, USB etc) However, the hardware inside seems to be very minimal and from a little research any hardware upgrades (Ram and HD) would be above my brain function. Also doesn't do flash, skype etc.

Price isn't really a problem but I don't want to spend £800 if I can get something that fits my needs for £200. Obviously.

I also saw the new viewsonic 10. It has Dual OS, win7 and android, couldn't find if it is possible to connect ethernet though. Also dual OS could be bad idea.

Can anyone suggest any other Tabs that would suit me??

Thanks in advance everyone.
Fwauba

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2011
Hi I recently got a pandigital novel for christmas. So far I'm not too impressed with it. From what I've been able to read up on it, it's sort of the bottom of the barrel in terms of tablets. I'm not too computer savy so any advice you could give me on what a better table to buy would be much appreciated. I'll list the thing I'm looking for. I'm looking to spend $300-$400 Canadian. I'm wanting to take this with me when I go travelling to Europe.

SOmething that is easy to set up or is already set up with what I want
7" screen (I don't want it too big)
A fairly long battery life

twivel

Jan 5, 2011
I'm looking for a tablet that meets the following specifications, does one exist?
1. Sub $300
2. Capacitive multi-touch
3. Can download and play Angry Birds and Raging Thunder from the android market.
4. 7" preferred, but would do larger.
5. GPS
6. Meets stated requirements for Flash
7. Has community supported replacement firmware
8. At least one full functional USB port
9. Plays video
10. Preferred - has android recommended hardware buttons.
-e.g. not an ipad look-alike
Finally - which tablets have the best battery life from overall experience in this forum?
Thanks!

Last edited:

onesaint

Jan 5, 2011
First off, xaueious thanks for doing this. From reading the thread you seem extremely knowledgeable in all things mobile. Appreciate you sharing the information / opinions you have.

Ok, now to the request. Im waiting for something 7" like the Asus Memo post CES as I want honeycomb. So, I need something to hold me over for the next 6+ months. Therefor I'm not looking to invest a ton right now, say 150+.

Id like -
7" screen
Decent CPU
Android market - or install with mod (like archos70) - will all apps run with an ARM proc?
upgradable to Android 2.1/2.2/2.3
screen needs just be responsive - bonus, Multitouch
would like some expansion for storage
G sensor / accelerometer
bonus - GPS

Usage - reading tech manuals - white papers - audio books, reading recipes for cooking, entertaining the toddler, web browsing (flash, multitabbed browsing). I work a lot with google apps, so good default apps would be a good thing (arent there some tablets that dont support maps, docs, and the likes?). Dont mind modding / rooting.
Thanks much for any advice.

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I'm going to hold off on answering until CES is over. For now you can look at the link in my signature for some ideas if you absolutely need to buy something.

twivel

Jan 5, 2011
I'm going to hold off on answering until CES is over. For now you can look at the link in my signature for some ideas if you absolutely need to buy something.

Ok, thanks. I've done some additional research and I've concluded that there are none that have everything I'm looking for, in that price range. Your links to the android tablet charts was a big help.

I think the Galaxy Tab is the closest option and it's significantly higher than I am looking to pay now. I think my best bet is to see what happens in the next few months on prices and such, as I think there may be some additional downward pressure on pricing post CES :)

Thanks!

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
Hi xaueious, "CHEAPEST way to tether my Wits A81E for use in NON-WIFI areas?"

I do hope I am not asking an unfair quest. I have been using A81E since mid-aug and am now on FW 1208 - very stable and am satisfied. I will be travelling soon, where WIFI is not always available (CELL use YES). So what are my options? I don't use a cell very often b'use of my hearing - so tethering may be dif. How to cheaply useMIFI? Any suggestions. Thanks.
Vijay

twivel

Jan 5, 2011
Hi xaueious, "CHEAPEST way to tether my Wits A81E for use in NON-WIFI areas?"

I do hope I am not asking an unfair quest. I have been using A81E since mid-aug and am now on FW 1208 - very stable and am satisfied. I will be travelling soon, where WIFI is not always available (CELL use YES). So what are my options? I don't use a cell very often b'use of my hearing - so tethering may be dif. How to cheaply useMIFI? Any suggestions. Thanks.
Vijay

If you already have a cell phone (android, webos or iphone), you should just get one of the 3rd party apps that allows you to turn your cellphone into a wifi hotspot, then you're set :)

Nuieve

Jan 6, 2011
Please advise on tablet purchase. I need something with 4-5" screen that I can fit into a pocket. The only purpose - internet via wi-fi. Flash support is very preffered. Don't want to pay more than $250. So far the only options are Archos 5IT for $200 (no flash) and 43 (no flash at this time... + availability unknown)

jhndflpp

Jan 8, 2011
i haven't seen too many posts for "pocket" tablets (until Nuive's just before mine), but i too am looking for a tablet with around a 5" screen. i'm really looking for a replacement for my creative multimedia player, so i'd mostly be using it to listen to mp3's and/or watch videos (of various formats), but i would also like to occasionally surf the internet (on a smaller scale, obviously) using wifi, have some note-taking capabilities, perhaps a moderately useable camera, and eBook capabilities. i am a programmer, so i may eventually want to mess with creating apps, and i'd prefer it to have decent hardware so it isn't obsolete in a few months.

from my knowledge that really leaves me with the options of the dell streak or the archos 43. the latter i have had on order from [large internet retailer] for 4 months with no end in sight, and the former is much more expensive and really is pushed as a fancy, large phone, and the one thing i have the least interest in is cellular capabilities.

so are their any suggestions or thoughts other than this? would it really make more sense for me to step up to a 7" tablet to get the functions i'm looking for? how "portable" are the 7" tablets when you are used to a device that is only about 5.75" in diameter, total? or should i wait until ces2011 is over and see what's coming out in the near future?

any and all help would be much appreciated.

edit: my budget is around $300, but if something was spectacularly better for a little more, i could probably stretch.

Last edited: