The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Aug 31, 2011
made a seperate thread already, but i found this and, well..

1) what you will be using the tablet for.
2) how much you are willing to spend
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

1) web browsing: wikipedia, youtube, everything - on the real internet, so i prefere a resistive screen to click small buttons and links. making documents, preferably with a USB keyboard. though being able to play media is nice too.
2) whatever it's worth, though preferably anything under €350
3) 4.5-6 inch. no wider than 5:3 (800:480). if the device stays below like 17cm (6.7'') in length it fits in a pocket.
4) Android? like, as in a Robot? no? o_O (i know the what's, not the hows)
5) the Netherlands

Denz13

Aug 29, 2011
Hi I've been looking at getting a tablet in the range of £200 - £300 and have shortlisted the following as potentials:

Advent Vega
Archos
mega_shok.gif
G9 (Sept 2011)
Hannspad

My main uses are 3D gaming & browsing.

If anyone can suggest a tablet that beats any of those above that would be well received! Cheers guys!

RyanSammy

Sep 7, 2011
Hi im very new to these forums and this is my first post. :)
anyway im looking for a new 10in tablet for around £150, im planning to use it mainly for movies and video so a good screen is important aswell as flash and can run youtube well. HDMI out is also a must.
it also needs to be dcent at web browsing and be able to be rooted to run honeycomb.
ive been looking at the hannspree hannspad, advent vega and flytouch 3, so you can tell me which is best or suggest something else.
Thanks in advance!:p

mahmedbawany

Sep 7, 2011
hey
i want an android tablet simply to watch movies. i find that it is useless to buy MP4 players now with tablets out.i have got a budget of $100. and i am also hoping to get a capacitive touch. i have a good experiance with android since i have screwed up my phone about 5 times. so any recommendations?
any help is greatly appreciated

paulsam7

Aug 29, 2011
im looking for a new 10in tablet for around £150, im planning to use it mainly for movies and video so a good screen is important aswell as flash and can run youtube well. HDMI out is also a must.
it also needs to be dcent at web browsing and be able to be rooted to run honeycomb.
ive been looking at the hannspree hannspad, advent vega and flytouch 3, so you can tell me which is best or suggest something else.
Well, I've got a Flytouch3 clone, and I can tell you right off the bat that this one can NOT be upgraded to Honeycomb. When you say "good screen", I'm not sure what your standards are, but the Flytouch3 does not have good angular brightness (viewing from slightly off to the side is considerably dimmer.) It does run video well including the special YouTube app, and web browsing is OK but not super (complicated web pages load slowly.) It does have HDMI out, but I haven't been successful (yet) is using it because it does not want to sync with my 42" flatscreen. AND the HDMI is only active when playing videos. [Side note: I'm getting an HDMI to composite and S-video converter so I can output to a projector.]

RyanSammy

Sep 7, 2011
thanks:), im thinking of getting the hannspree which seems to have the best reviews. and i can get it for £135 from bestbuy:p

weeple2000

Sep 8, 2011
1) Surfing the internet and watching videos, want something that will be future proof if possible, android market is a must, want flash, not sure what a g-sensor is, bluetooth would probably come in handy but might be able to live without it
2) I'd like a good value. Considering the Nook Color so that price range perhaps. Don't need it immediately so willing to wait if something better comes out for the holiday season.
3) not sure what size is good
4) I rooted my Samsung Droid Charge and flashed a custom ROM so I think I'm pretty computer literate. I'm a programmer and I've built pcs from scratch.
5) Wisconsin

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
@replete: If you're willing to wait, then I would definitely recommend so. Tablets out now are pretty good, but it would be much more worthwhile to wait a few months. Second-gen tablets are soon due out, and they promise a lot - some will have quad-core processors like Kal-El, and I'm betting the engineering will get a lot better. It seems they will be products of a much higher quality than their predecessors. Thinner, lighter (look at the new Toshiba tablet - its thinner than the new GTab, and it has all those ports, and it isn't even a Kal-El tab!), and just better devices. I think the changes will really bring them make up to spec and just much smoother to use.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

mgr52

Nov 11, 2010
Hey guys looking for a 10 inch tablet that can play flash and has a capacitive screen and has a good battery life. any recommendations?

Original

Sep 11, 2011
hey
i want an android tablet simply to watch movies. i find that it is useless to buy MP4 players now with tablets out.i have got a budget of $100. and i am also hoping to get a capacitive touch. i have a good experiance with android since i have screwed up my phone about 5 times. so any recommendations?
any help is greatly appreciated
Amologic iRobot awesome for movies and it's possible to get it with a discount under $100. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rose4uKY

Aug 1, 2010
I don't feel like reading 89 pages and I haven't been here in a while since I bought my Archos 10.1 which I hope to sell. I really like it and I know it's not made for the marketplace but I have it on there. It lags a little but my main thing is watching movies the screen sucks. I can't see and you have to angle it a certain way and it still isn't that good. I'm selling my laptop 1st once I sell it I will sell my Archos and then get a new tablet. I have a coworker who said Android phones are better for a tablet get an I pad but I like my Android and I pads are expensive. Now in a tablet of course I want 1 gig Ram dual core processor would be nice and Honeycomb and the Android marketplace in a 10 inch tablet with great viewing for movies and videos flash of course. I was just on the cricuit city online site reading about the Asus Transformer. It comes with a dock but the tablet itself doesn't have a USB on it. Not sure if it has Android Marketplace though. I like playing Words With Friends on a tablet. I can plug in a flash drive to my Archos to watch or put a movie on it cause it has a USB but it just doesn't look good. But it's a great tablet for doing everything else and I love the kickstand. Oh and I just need a wifi only. And if the HTC Flyer from BB wasn't a 7 inch I would be interested in that cause I had the Evo 4G phone and now have the Evo 3D. I have read Motorla Xoom is good but I know it's high. I'll try to skim through some of these pages but 89 is a lot. Just wondering what tablets out now people are buying and liking? If my laptop sells for 350-400 and my tablet for about 200 I will spend whatever I get on a good tablet. And I know all the more expensive tablets come with a capacative touch screen which also is a must for me. Honeycomb isn't a must for me I guess I mean 2.3 with flash is ok if I was to know it would be upgradable I guess,. I just know Honeycomb is the latest and I would like to be up to date on the latest. But if a good one with 2.2 or 2.3 came around in a good price range I would consider it.

Anyone who had the Archos 10.1 and upgraded tell me what you upgraded too. And anyone with this Asus Transformer tell me more about it cause price wise and after reading some other reviews on it I am liking it. I don't need the docking station but it's a nice option to have. Thanks! (My settings on here weren't set for instant emails on replies but I changed it so I hope I get emails of replies now)

Last edited:

jackel2168

Sep 15, 2011
I need a cheap tablet that will run this app for softball games. I am looking to purchase one in time for the start of october as we need it to keep score and it would allow us to keeps some parents in the loop if we are in an area with wi-fi. I'm looking for a battery life of 6-8 hours and would not be upset if I could charge it off of my evo charger. Thank You
Features | GameChanger

elemento911

Jul 1, 2011
Jackel, It looks like that app supports multiple platforms so I think it really comes down to price. How much are you looking to spend? Personally I haven't had good battery life with my Galaxy tab but overall I love it and would buy it again. You can also check out sites like tablet comparison to get a better idea of specs and prices. Good luck.

jackel2168

Sep 15, 2011
To be honest, we are looking to keep the price as low as possible as it is coming out of team funds. I was wondering if the Velocity Micro Cruz or the Coby tablet would work. I do not need camera, youtube, or anything else, just that program.

Morrandir

Sep 20, 2011
Hi there,

I'm looking for a tablet and having following use cases:
  • I'm going to New Zealand in January for some time and want to plan trips, perhaps do car navigation, book hotels etc. and upload photos from my digicams SD-Card to Picasa via the tablets UMTS connectivity
  • I need UMTS connectivity back in Germany too.
  • Perhaps I want to watch a movie from time to time, either on the tablets screen, or on a plugged TV.
  • Apart from that I want do to normal stuff like surfing, e-mailing, calendar, some gaming (no heavy 3D, just the usual Angry Birds stuff), chatting etc.
  • Perhaps I would take it to meetings, minuting etc.
  • I would take it on rail and airline travels to kill time by doing... things.
From these uses cases I derived the requirements:
  • must-haves:
    • availability not later than christmas 2011
    • Android 3.1 (at least)
    • access to Android Market
    • large display (9" or 10")
    • (micro-)sd-card support
    • 3G (I'm not an expert here... it needs to work in Germany and New Zealand with SIM cards from local providers)
    • 8 GB storage
    • weight lower than 750g (~1.65 lbs)
    • cheaper than 650$
  • should-haves:
    • prompt OS updates (don't know if this is predictable...)
    • 16 GB storage
    • weight lower than 700g (~1.54 lbs)
    • cheaper than 550$
  • nice-to-haves:
    • (mini-)HDMI-port
    • USB-Port
    • front-cam
    • 32 GB storage
    • weight lower than 650g (~1.43 lbs)
    • cheaper than 450$
There are some tablets out there, that seem to fit most of the criteria:
  • Galaxy Tab 10.1 (I would need to order it from UK, but that doesn't seem to be a problem; has no built-in sd-card-slot, but some usb adapter I would need to buy extra)
  • Motorola XOOM
  • Archos 101 G9
  • Sony Tablet S
  • Motorola XOOM 2 (will perhaps have the best update support due to Googles deal with Motorola, but will it be available before christmas? Are there any specs out already?)
Which one would you recommend?
Are there more tablets meetings my requirements?

Last edited: