The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
If you already have a cell phone (android, webos or iphone), you should just get one of the 3rd party apps that allows you to turn your cellphone into a wifi hotspot, then you're set :)
Thanks twivel can u please suggst some app names. I have a cheap samsung mantra and 4 year old motorola v70. Both work on prepaid plans. Thanks.

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
Please advise on tablet purchase. I need something with 4-5" screen that I can fit into a pocket. The only purpose - internet via wi-fi. Flash support is very preffered. Don't want to pay more than $250. So far the only options are Archos 5IT for $200 (no flash) and 43 (no flash at this time... + availability unknown)

Why don't you look at Wits A81G. I have been using the A81E with thye new FW 1208 - very reliable and snappy. Do check it out with merimobiles - $230/ approx.

jubigret

Jan 8, 2011
Hi, I've been looking through this forum for a week or so obsessively :)
I've come to the conclusion that I'm looking for a 10" 2.1 or 2.2 (if I'm correct that I can play flash sites with skyfire otherwise 2.2), multitouch screen, camera, +4g internal memory, =+512 DDR memory, wifi and I'd like an HDMI port but not essential same as 3g.

The things that I am confused about is the CPU differences.

I've been seeing the Zenithink ZT-180 A105, i realize that the memory is less than i really want but the price is good.

This tablet will be used for my young kids to go onto their sites and use their apps, me and my husband to watch movies, surf the web, play games. (hoping that netflix will strem on android soon)

any help, suggestions would be great!

twivel

Jan 5, 2011
Thanks twivel can u please suggst some app names. I have a cheap samsung mantra and 4 year old motorola v70. Both work on prepaid plans. Thanks.

Sorry, was hoping you had a smartphone that ran android, webos or iOS. Any of those devices have good software to do this, but with your phone I don't have a good option - maybe someone else does.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@alareth1976
Not sure what is available in Italy, to be honest. The one you asked about is not ever going to be Adobe Flash capable. You can't really buy an outstanding tablet with that money in terms of speed. The one you asked about is not too too bad if you want to use it for videos and ebook reading only. It isn't very good with games or net-surfing. Performance of an HTC Hero in a 7" tablet but with 1080p video is about what this thing nets you. It isn't too bad.

@fwauba
RJ45 support depends on the tablet. THere's no straight forward answer. Wifi is the easier way. If your budget is that high, you should keep waiting for better tablets to ship. Dual OS tablets are no good right now.

@johnny_holiday
Archos 70 or the eLocity A7 are your recommendations. If you keep waiting, you can get a lot more for your money. We don't have a lot of choices as Canadians.

@twivel
There's nothing I am aware of that meets your needs. The Archos 70 is the closest, except that you need to use an external GPS module if you want GPS. Android market is an easy install on that as well.

@onesaint
Coby Kyros or Augen Gentouch. Kyros is the better one right now.

@Nuieve
I actually thought that the Archos 43 does have Adobe Flash hardware support. That's the only released product that works right now at that price range.

The A81E is 7". Adobe Flash is a little too much for that CPU at stock speeds.

@jhndflpp
Emdoor EM51 is the 5" tablet you are looking for for videos. No camera or Adobe Flash though.

7" is about 3 iPhones large. It is not really pocketable, but fits in any bag if you carry one. 5" is the largest I would go for a pocket device.

@jubigret
Save yourself the trouble and keep waiting for a more polished tablet. I have the feeling that you are expecting too much right now.

@vijaykhai
I'm actually not sure. If you have a compatible cellphone that works with wifi-tether, this is your best option. I don't have experience with mobile 3G hotspots, so you asked in the wrong place...

jhndflpp

Jan 8, 2011
@jhndflpp
Emdoor EM51 is the 5" tablet you are looking for for videos. No camera or Adobe Flash though.

thanks for the advice; this looks like a pretty nice unit and gets pretty good reviews, i'm just having trouble finding a reliable place to purchase one. the cheapest place i found who had it in stock is at "ever buying", but googling the site got some questionable results. i'd certainly be willing to pay a bit more for some peace of mind. do you guys have recommended retailers for these products, or is this just what you have to live with when you order from china?

p.s. i checked through the "Great places to buy tablets" thread and didn't see anything there that sold this player.

Last edited:

onesaint

Jan 5, 2011
@onesaint
Coby Kyros or Augen Gentouch. Kyros is the better one right now.

Thanks for the recommendation. Tell me, do you prefer the mid7005 or the mid7015? Also, do you know if there is a 2.2 rom out yet?

Should I put any weight into the gentouch due the CyanogenMod team creating a rom for it? Or did they already create it?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

LeslieRuhland

Jan 10, 2011
OMG: I can't make any sense out of all the tech-talk. Can somebody simply tell me if the money isn't a factor, which is a better purchase - the Samsung Galaxy Tab (Android OS) or the Apple iPod.
I have a 1 yr old Droid 3G "smart phone" and the Galaxy Tab doesn't look much differnet. (Good and a bad thing.) Other than the larger screen, and two sided camera, why do I need both the cell phone and tab? Same apps, navigation, browser.... Can I downlaod Kindle books to the Galaxy (or iPad)?
Then there's the iPad. Enjoys marketshare for a reason, but what are the reasons? There is no camera on the latest version, but yes, better screen resolution. And there are not as many apps available for the iPad as there are on the Android.. Please help.

eveninstar

Jan 11, 2011
Hello I have a couple questions Im looking for a tablet that can run nook and kindle apps, have access to andriod market I would like it to be 7-10" in size and for light web browsing and be affordable between 200-300 price range. Any suggestions would be app. Thanks in advance Jason

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@jhndflpp Merimobiles has it as the Herotab M5, continuing their tradition of giving terrible names to generic tablets. You can also take a risk to order at Pandawill.

@onesaint I like the 7015 mainly because it has physical buttons and is not designed like a brick. You shouldn't put that much weight on future custom firmwares for this, but the kernel sources are available to get some performance enhancements.

@LeslieRuhland It isn't a straightforward answer because it depends on your needs. I think for most people, the iPad is the more user-friendly device if you are new to tablets and has more (and better for the most part) applications. But the Galaxy Tab has more functionality and performance, and is a better investment for the long term. If budget is not a concern, keep waiting for better Android tablets. The iPad 2 is coming soon, so keep that in mind as well.

@eveninstar If you don't mind tweaking, pick up a refurb Gtablet at Sears or a Nook Color. Otherwise the next best are the Archos 70 and the Huawei Ideos S7.

arguson

Jan 10, 2011
I have an option of buying Samsung Galaxy Tab for 350$ under contract or ordering a Herotab 816 (same processor, resistive 8" screen) from china for 215$

is it worth it to pay 135$ more for the tab???

steelers4582

Jan 12, 2011
Looking for a tablet mainly for web browsing. Would like a 7"-8" screen, Android 2.2 and to be around $175. Not sure what specs to look for. Any suggestions? Are the ones on eBay decent? Thanks

Last edited:

Qumad

Jan 12, 2011
We are looking for a low cost tablet for my girlfriend, she mainly uses laptops for browsing the web and facebook, one of her demands was that it had to be able to run these freaking facebook games (flash)

We have been looking at a EasyPix EasyPad 1000, will this unit do that?

Anyone that got this unit and can tell us about how You perceive this unit?

Allso how is the touchscreen? It's not a pleasurable device if the touchscreen is bad.
How about zooming, can this be done in an intuitive way with pinch maneuver?
And does it have the Android Markeds on it?

arguson

Jan 10, 2011
We are looking for a low cost tablet for my girlfriend, she mainly uses laptops for browsing the web and facebook, one of her demands was that it had to be able to run these freaking facebook games (flash)

We have been looking at a EasyPix EasyPad 1000, will this unit do that?

Anyone that got this unit and can tell us about how You perceive this unit?

Allso how is the touchscreen? It's not a pleasurable device if the touchscreen is bad.
How about zooming, can this be done in an intuitive way with pinch maneuver?
And does it have the Android Markeds on it?

If you wish to have a tablet with full browsing experience you need one that has Android 2.2. If you want flash to run smoothly you need a Cortex A8 processor, preferably 1 Ghz. Anything less than that won't give you an enjoyable experience

Black18Ice

Jan 12, 2011
I am looking for a tablet that can do the following or has the following:
*I will be using it mainly around home and on campus using wifi (no need for 3g or anything)
*I want to be able to use hotmail, facebook, google, youtube, etc. along with lots of browsing
*I would love to be able to used microsoft office...at least word...so I could almost replace my laptop
*Decent battery life
*The screen that zooms by using two fingers would be prefered
*Plays videos (HD a plus but not needed)
*Prefer video and pictures but not a deal breaker
*Auto rotation/accelerometer a plus
*Would like more than 8gb
*I don't want a small screen but I probably don't need the archos 101, but I am looking at it
*Reliable and not junk lol
Hopefully this isn't too much and you guys can lead me somewhere.
Price...not much more than 300ish