The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

jonacani

Sep 20, 2011
I run a small business and simply need a relatively cheap tablet ($100-300) that can run an squareup credit card applications. I bought the Coby 7016 and it was not compatible. I checked with AppsLib and they don't have the application. Their website is www.squareup.com and they say it should be compatible with any Android operating system. Not so. I have an HTC smartphone and the square works fine but I need a central device for all my employees to use. I would like 8MB, screen size 7" is fine, access to Android Market (I can get the app there).

Last edited:

bagpiper

Sep 21, 2011
im looking for a tablet for under $300 id like it to have flash, a mic and a camera, with android 2.3 or newer, that has a good responsive screen, and not junk, vids would be nice to watch on it, etc.

anything in my price range?

ritachung

Sep 23, 2011
im looking for a tablet for under $300 id like it to have flash, a mic and a camera, with android 2.3 or newer, that has a good responsive screen, and not junk, vids would be nice to watch on it, etc.

anything in my price range?

plenty of products range this price,such as GPad 702 ,Onda VI30 ,MID701 HAIPAD etc.

Badger_Lady

Sep 23, 2011
Hia,

Hope you don't mind me adding a new question on here - I couldn't see a request that exactly matched my needs! I'm looking for a tablet for my Father this Christmas:

Usage
Primarily as an eBook reader, but I'd prefer to use an app on Android so that my father can have the flexibility to use it for other things. He lives on a boat with a built-in PC, so this would be his 'day computer' for taking out on trips in-land.

Budget
$100-$250. I'm coming to the US a couple of times before Christmas and you seem to get much better value there!

Size
I don't know. Not particularly fussed.

Computer / Android knowledge
My father is retired now but was an IT Manager and is very computer savvy. He's a big fan of Google. He's perfectly capable of converting files, transfering etc. However he's never used Android before (and I'm only new to it), so no strong preferences as to OS versions etc - we'll take recommendation!

I intend to purchase in the states (San Francisco or Boston), but my Father will mostly use it in France or occasionally in the UK. He'll charge it by USB.

Important Features
These are the things that I really do want for the tablet:
- Long battery life (he'll be without electricity for long periods of time)
- 3G compatibility (so he can plug in his pay-as-you-go dongle)
- Kindle or Staza app (which I'm sure any of them can run)

Not Important
I am not particularly fussed about:
- Capacity (my Dad won't need massive data storage)
- Size (small and large both have their advantages)
- Cameras or other accessories
- Touchscreen

Thank you for your advice!

Last edited:

Cjhnson

Sep 23, 2011
Hello
-Im looking for a tablet with Android 2.2 or higher, and 7in screen or bigger, im very intrested in the weather so i do a lot of web surfing and radar viewing( which most use flash),also be able to play games,watch videos,pdf( basic stuff) , also would like it to have the real android app store ( one i was looking at didnt have the real one) I dont have to have that but as long as the app store is good.
- Gps would be nice but not a must have, Cameras i could care less about, WIFI a must.
-I have an android phone now so i know some stuff ( have rooted it).
Looking to spend anywheres from $50-230 ( maybe more if its worth it)

Any suggestions????

I was looking at some , but dont know enough about them
Could u tell me some good specs, what i need to look for ( 256mb vs 512mb) ( 1 ghz good or bad)?

Live in the US

lguigui58

Sep 24, 2011
Hi,

I was thinking to buy a tablet during the last few weeks and I would like to know what could be the best choices in order to not do any big mistakes

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps

The features expected are Wifi, 3G, Bluetooth, g-sensor. I want to use mainly the tablet for online surfing. I would like also to be able to read video (web or local).

2) how much you are willing to spend

I think that a decent tablet with the previous feature can be found around 250$.

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be

I want a tablet more than 9 inches. I was watching for 10" but if some tablet proposed a better resolution à 9.5", it is better.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

I'm not familiar to Android but I will learn by myself since that I have some good experience in Computer Science.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

Spain and France.

Regards

Shourisha1

Sep 25, 2011
Hi everyone. This is actually my first post here, and depending on what sort of help I get and if I'm able to purchase a Tablet, I hope its not my last. I'm actually a major detractor for tablets--Or was, until I found out about these cheaper chinese tablets. I've always felt that there's not much point, buying a $400 dollar Acer tablet, when for that much I can buy a laptop with twice the specs, and more usability. When I found that these units can be purchased for under $200, I decided to look into the idea. I'm an artist, or beginner, to be specific, and a cheap tablet looks like the perfect tool for me. I can bring up any reference material I would like, from anatomy images or images from my favorite artists on these tablets, which would be a boon for my studies. I also enjoy reading a bit, and would love to use a tablet for that. Finally, I would like to be able to watch netflix on the tablet, and perhaps youtube. I'm not looking for something very powerful, it needn't be able to play all of the newest games or whatnot. I simply want access to the android market and Android's OS, and be able to work these few tasks. I don't even mind if internet browsing is slow, as long as I can view Netflix and youtube. I've done a little research into the Superpad, which I'd heard good things about(And I love its 10 inch screen, with various ports and expansions), but I've read that the unit has issues with Netflix, in particular.

1) Must have:
Pictures
Youtube
Netflix
Expandable memory through Micro SD or SD
Ebook reader of some sort
Wifi

Hope to have, but don't need:
GPS

2) $100-$200, preferably as little as possible
3) Really looking at 10 inch, if possible. Needs to be a good, high resolution.
4) I'm excellent with computers, hardware and software alike, but I have no experience with Android.
5) Its in my profile, but Georgia, USA(Though, I don't mind shipping from overseas, or having to wait extended periods for shipping)

synaps3

Sep 28, 2011
Hello, weird request here.

I need a tablet, any tablet, with removable bluetooth and wireless. Basically, a device I can lock to only have local access. If a product is offered without any wireless out of the box that you know of, perfect. I don't mind removing them, as long as it doesn't involve soldering -- I may end up deploying these in large batches, so the less work to remove the wireless cards, the better.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. My needs (list items 1-5) don't matter as much, this is more for a proof of concept than anything else. Money isn't an issue either, nor is size.

1) what you will be using the tablet for - Project
2) how much you are willing to spend - $0 - $?, price does not matter. This is a proof of concept. I will pay for any tablet on the market within reason.
3) what the size of the tablet should be - No preference now. If there are multiple options, I may narrow down from there.
4) how much you know about Android - Computer proficient. Have no experience developing on Android, but use it daily.
5) Please list your location somewhere - GA

abm

Sep 28, 2011
Hi all,
I am starting to research the android platform tablets. I have certain specs and I apologize for my ignorance. I am hoping that you can help me! Thanks in advance...
* 8-10 inch screen
* app to draw ( I am an artist and need the ability to use the screen as a drawing tablet
* is there any way I can hook up the tablet to something to use photoshop on it or use a photoshop type app on it
* can I increase the memory storage to more than 32 GB (to support my porfolio to show clients as a digital portfolio?)

Many, many thanks!!!!

jetbean

Oct 4, 2011
Hi,

I'm a uni student looking to buy a solid android tablet. I will mostly watch videos on it, read news/ebooks, listen to music, chat and use it for email, photos. Pretty basic stuff. I don't really have a fixed amount but I first want to ask if it's really worth getting a tablet at this point in time? Some people told me to wait until Nov.-Dec. when the new android OS/tablets come out because the ones available today will drop in price..

What advice do you have for me?

RayN

Oct 5, 2011
Why wouldn't you buy the new Amazon Fire?

Great eReader and $199!

Ray

Hia,

Hope you don't mind me adding a new question on here - I couldn't see a request that exactly matched my needs! I'm looking for a tablet for my Father this Christmas:

Usage
Primarily as an eBook reader, but I'd prefer to use an app on Android so that my father can have the flexibility to use it for other things. He lives on a boat with a built-in PC, so this would be his 'day computer' for taking out on trips in-land.

Budget
$100-$250. I'm coming to the US a couple of times before Christmas and you seem to get much better value there!

Size
I don't know. Not particularly fussed.

Computer / Android knowledge
My father is retired now but was an IT Manager and is very computer savvy. He's a big fan of Google. He's perfectly capable of converting files, transfering etc. However he's never used Android before (and I'm only new to it), so no strong preferences as to OS versions etc - we'll take recommendation!

I intend to purchase in the states (San Francisco or Boston), but my Father will mostly use it in France or occasionally in the UK. He'll charge it by USB.

Important Features
These are the things that I really do want for the tablet:
- Long battery life (he'll be without electricity for long periods of time)
- 3G compatibility (so he can plug in his pay-as-you-go dongle)
- Kindle or Staza app (which I'm sure any of them can run)

Not Important
I am not particularly fussed about:
- Capacity (my Dad won't need massive data storage)
- Size (small and large both have their advantages)
- Cameras or other accessories
- Touchscreen

Thank you for your advice!

Maraudir

Oct 6, 2011
Needs
Under $200 - Flash, Facebook, android market, wifi, capacitive multi touch, 7" and up
Wants
Rootable/Upgradable, Web cam, play 1080p movies and 3d games, 10"

ritachung had some good suggestions but all the ones under $200 looked like resistive and not capacitive?

This is what I managed to dig up. Are these vendor's legit?
http://www.pickegg.com/wholesale/rk...7-inch-capacitive-touch-screen-tablet-pc.html
http://www.pickegg.com/wholesale/ta...2mb-4gb-1-3mp-7-quot-capacitive-touchpad.html
http://www.**************/products/product_37496.htm#
http://www.froyopad.com/dropad-a8-s...am_p436.html?zenid=rsesho906dfm6u9h24cqha6jh1

Last edited:

rrand

Oct 8, 2011
Hi, I'm new to this site. Thanks for taking the time to help us. I read back a bunch of pages but I didn't see anything similar. This is what I'm looking for.

I think I want a 7" tablet because I typically will be using it for many hours a day. I heard the 10.1" gets uncomfortable after a while. Also, I think I'll be typing a lot. I take a good deal of notes as they fly into my head, and also I post on forums throughout the day. I heard it's easier to type on a 7" than it is to type on a 10.1". I haven't used either so I don't know one way or the other. I'm planning on testing them out when I go to the computer store, but I want to have a good idea of what to look for before I get there.

I watch movies only occasionally, but I would like to watch them once in a while.
I listen to music while I work. Right now on my laptop I use Spotify, but only with a free account. I don't know if Spotify is available on Android for free.

On my laptop, it's not unusual for me to have 30-35 tabs open in my browser at a time.

I also use a Mind Mapping software regularly and they are working on an Android adaptation.

I use YNAB, a budgeting software daily and they have an Android adaptation.

I will be using and checking e-mail (Gmail) and Twitter.

I don't play games (except occasionally games from the early 80s like Pac-Man) and I have no need for a camera.

I will mostly be in my own house with wi-fi.

I am a programmer and have worked on Linux for years and own several Linux boxes.

Cost: Reasonable

Thanks in advance!

Rallendk

Oct 9, 2011
I need the best possible tablet for around 200 bucks. Will mainly use it for movies and websearching. What would I buy? :)
Dont need 3g, camera, gps or anything like that..