The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Anth79

Oct 23, 2011
Hey guys new to the forum and this is my first post, im Anth from the Uk

Im after an android tablet in the region of £100 - £150

I have heard a lot about the Flytouch 3, is this any good?

I will be using the tablet for the following

Emails
Browsing the web
Listening to music
Watching hd movies
Would like to be able to use gps
3g capable

Thants all i can think of for now

Tia

I Have narrowed it down to the following

A820 Epad S5PV210
Flytouch 3
Hanspree Hannspad
Advent Vega

Which 1?

GringoDog

Oct 28, 2011
I have been using a itouch 2nd generation for years for browsing the internet, email and forums when I travel or when I'm lying around in bed or on the couch and too lazy to get up and get my laptop. The screen size and keyboard have finally become too much of a pain, and I'd like to replace it. I originally intended to buy a netbook, but now I see that those are antiques compared to the tablets.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps.
I don't even know what some of this stuff is!
I only want wi-fi - don't need to connect it to a data plan.
Flash would be nice.
Able to use earbuds required.
Main uses: Extensive email, forum participation, internet browsing, and I'd like to be able to do some content creation on the websites that I own (maybe some short postings, or a reply to a comment, maybe be able to write or edit short articles that I keep in dropbox).
One of my biggest priorities is a keyboard that is usable with more than one finger. I'm used to touch typing, but know that tablets are not good for that. However, the app called "Thumbs" looks like it would make content creation much easier and faster with a tablet keyboard.

I will use it occasionally for reading (online and ebooks), and some financial stuff.
An added BONUS would be if I could hook this up to my HDTV for streaming movies.
I do not plan on storing music or many photos on this tablet.

Battery length, weight and cameras are not big issues, as I use this mostly at home.
2) how much you are willing to spend - Ideally, less than $300, but would go up to $500 for something nearly perfect that wouldn't be antiquated for 3-4 years
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be - No preference - portability is not a major factor.
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate I'm not familiar with android stuff at all, so bear with my ignorance, please. But reasonably computer savvy and adaptable.
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way) - Currently, Arizona in Winter, Mexico in Summer.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

jojo77m

Oct 29, 2011
Hi
I am looking for a table for 100% movies, I don't care about wifi, camera, gps anything else as I will have my phone.
I want it to watch movies on flights, nothing else. I dont care if i load it up with sd cards or if I have to ftp them over. Likewise I'm not fussed about hd playback.
If I could get an 8 hour playback I would be super happy, but really anything from 4 onwards is good (2 movies), I don't care what it looks like or if it makes looks like a dork, all i want is to be freed from airline movies.
price....if I could spend less that $£100 that'd be really good.
size...maybe around 7 inch, I dont care if its a tablet or an old eee pc type thing

any thoughts?

thanks

Goblin

Aug 20, 2011
Lol. Love your honesty. Your big consideration is portability battery life. Possibly something that extends your playback time. (Eee does this through keyboard) presumably you aslo dont want to share with your neighbor.
Good luck with this one....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Jake1013

Oct 29, 2011
Hello, this is what i'm looking for:
7 inch tablet with wifi, and open browser, full access to android market. preferably a faster system that can be used in areas such as australia and taiwan. also, my budget is somewhere around 200~250.
thanks to anyone who replies
PS i'm a total computer illiterate. thanks

RickWJ324

Oct 30, 2011
Greetings,

This is my first posting on your board. I've spent most of today reading up on the topics and I'm hoping someone can help me. I am looking to buy 2 android tablets before Xmas and would like them to be LESS THAN $100 each. Here is what I need them to do:

1) Play feature-length movies! I have an extensive blu-ray and dvd library and will be converting films to play on these tablets. Very minimum I need the tablets to play back dvd-quality video (most likely I'll be converting them to .mp4 files). So 16:9 480p video is a must... 720p video would be nice as well, but not required. They MUST be able to play back quality video files without stuttering, a/v synching issues, etc.

2) The ability to install a very small amount of apps from the Android Market OR Amazon Market. These units will be for children and they currently love to play a couple of games on mommy's droid phone (such as Talking Tom and Talking Ben). That's pretty much it! I won't be using them for regular internet connections nor will I be using them for productivity (I have many laptops and desktops for that). I'm just looking for a small portable MEDIA PLAYER w/ the ability to play a few select games. Something for the kids to play with in the car, doctor's office, etc.

I've seen so many "unbranded" units from China, etc, that look good as far as specs go, but they all have VERY mixed reviews.

If someone could kindly provide me a specific link to a model that they can recommend, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!

RickWJ324

jojo77m

Oct 29, 2011
Hi
I am looking for a table for 100% movies, I don't care about wifi, camera, gps anything else as I will have my phone.
I want it to watch movies on flights, nothing else. I dont care if i load it up with sd cards or if I have to ftp them over. Likewise I'm not fussed about hd playback.
If I could get an 8 hour playback I would be super happy, but really anything from 4 onwards is good (2 movies), I don't care what it looks like or if it makes looks like a dork, all i want is to be freed from airline movies.
price....if I could spend less that $£100 that'd be really good.
size...maybe around 7 inch, I dont care if its a tablet or an old eee pc type thing

any thoughts?

thanks

So I have been looking and decided on either an Archos 7 Home Tablet or Arnova 8, both are resistive & I know there are capative versions coming, but these are the 2 I am deciding between now. Both the same price...maybe £10 between them.

Does anyone have any information to help me decide, All I want is movie playback. i'm happy to hack to view youtube or just use skyfire. The decision is between the 2 of these, I say again I don't care about processing or anything else, they are just for airline movie playback.

any thoughts?
thanks

jedliz

Nov 1, 2011
Hi, just joined this forum so I could ask for advice on a tablet.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps well, on my iPod touch I like Angry birds. I want Flash because some sites I visit do require Flash like for product videos or similar such things. If the gps doesn't require wifi or 3G to work, that would be nice. I would use it for an alternative travel device for surfing/internet instead of my netbook or even my ipod touch, especially if I can use Amazon kindle app, too. Before you say "get the Fire" I want FULL access to the Android Market....Amazon will not provide that. I want a camera, that's not on the Kindle. I also want at least HONEYCOMB for the OS. The FIRE will be a customized version of Android OS...more likely to be gingerbread than Honeycomb... Also, if needed, I would like an SD slot, microSD is fine. I also have accounts with Netflix and HuluPlus, so being able to use both would be nice. Also, needs a semi decent battery life.

2) how much you are willing to spend Up to $350. up to $400 if necessary....

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be 7 inch because it'd be around the size of my Kindle and I like that size. 10 inch would be too big for me.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate I am literate with Windows PCs. My dad has a droid phone, so I am somewhat familiar with android.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way) USA, specifically Husker Nation (Nebraska) Locally I have Best Buy, Walmart and Target.

BTW, I know that there are a few 7 inch tablets out already, but I want one that has Honeycomb and the ability to possibly respond to a stylus. I know the HTC Flyer can do stylus, but it has not yet gotten that Honeycomb update and its processor is not as great as others (Single Core?). I've played with an original 7 inch galaxy tab at Verizon, but want wifi only because I don't have need of a 3G tablet. I know that TOSHIBA and SAMSUNG are both coming out with new/newer tablets soon...but the prices are not really known yet or might be over my budget.

I just don't want to make a decision I'd regret....I want to try to find the best tablet for my needs. Sometimes I use my iPod touch to check email and surf when I'm laying on my couch or in bed, but the screen is small....and sometimes its my wifi device when I am traveling....that's why I got my netbook, because my laptop was really too big to travel with. My netbook's battery has been causing me problems, that and slow to shut down...so the battery drains too fast. That's why I am looking at a tablet. A Tablet could enable me to leave my netbook, iPod touch AND my Kindle at home sometimes and have an ALL in One device.

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
JenD Yes, feel free to pm me.are you on the website, or the app? Pm is accessed differently in each

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7022

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2011
Hey all! Looking for a pretty basic tablet, but here we go:

1) What you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps.
Reading lecture notes at Uni. I will need Wi-Fi, Internet Access and the ability to read pdf's and MS office (word/p.point) documents.
Does not require expandable memory as it will not be used for music/movies, etc. Does not require speakers or camera.
At least a 3+ hour battery life.

2) How much you are willing to spend.
Less than 250. Under 200 is preferable due to the minimum requirements.

3) If you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be.
7 inches.

4) How much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate.
Use Windows, Apple, Linux and own an Android Phone. Computer literate.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
ACT, Australia.

Thanks,
Isaac.

Last edited:

rscott91

Nov 2, 2011
I am looking for a tablet for my daugheter, age 9. She will be using it primarily for a reader, but would also like to install games on it. So, I am looking for a tablet that has the android app store, has a micro sd slot, and is no more than $200.

I did own a PanDigital Novel which I hacked, so I do have some knowledge in doing things like that, but would prefer not to.

acidr4in

Nov 2, 2011
Hi guys, as u see my first post... hopefully of many soo...

1) What you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps.
Well I want to use the tablet for, browsing, looking at and showing pictures. USB-Host would be nice, to hook up with card readers, no need for 3g

2) How much you are willing to spend.
Somewhere between 200 and 300 €

3) If you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
I guess more than 7" so 8.9 or 10 would be fine for my purpuses

4) How much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate.
Well I have already an android phone with CFW, I develop applications with ANDROID SDK, so something like cyanogenmod would be awesome.

I would love to put ICS or something other tablet optimized on it some day.

5) Please list your location somewhere.
Austria.

6) Own Research

I did some resarch and I found the Viewsonic G Tablet but the issue is it seems it was rebranded in Europe. Is this possibe. As I saw it runs GtabComb what is for my understanding a Honycomb port.
I found it asViewSonic ViewPad 10s

regards

Quistnix

Nov 4, 2011
I'm looking for an Android Tablet. I'm on my third android phone by now and have been doing a fair share of rooting, flashing radios, recoveries, roms and stuff. Now I'd like to get me tablet as well.

What I want
- 7 Inch capacitive (large screen but still pocketable, 8 inch might be OK as well)
- Speed (at least 512mb of RAM, good cpu/gpu)
- Rootable, having Cyanogenmod is a plus
- Full market access
- Wifi (so I can use my phone as a portable hotspot)

Nice to have:
- USB host (so I can plug in a USB keyboard)
- Update to Honeycomb (Probably not going to happen)
- resolution bigger then 800*480
- Good battery

What I don't need (leaving these out might reduce the price):
- GPS
- GSM
- Camera

What I'm going to use it for:
- Moviewatching
- Ebooks
- Webbrowsing
- Games (especially Shadow Era)

Price range: $220,- or lower

I've been looking at:
- X10 Airpad
- Ainol Novo 7 Advanced
- Renesas RENA3 Opad Dual-Core
- Icarus Bluefire G2
- Archos 70 Internet Tablet

I'm not living in the US, so stuff like the Kindle Fire isn't an option.
Are any of these recommended, or did I miss the best choice?

mberra1280

Nov 6, 2011
Ok, I am planning on getting a tablet for my kids ages 7 and 8 for Christmas this year. As much as they think they need an Ipad...thats not happening :)

Basically I have narrowed it down to two tablets that Im considering. My kids will only be using these for surfing the net, playing games, watching videos on YOUTUBE, etc..
I do not want to spend much more than $100

The two I have found are the Velocity Cruz T104 and the Maylong M-250
They seem about the same, The Maylong seems to only be 800 MHZ which concerns me a bit, but wasnt sure if it was a big deal. I have seen several reviews about them not having the REAL android market or 2.2 OS. I think the Maylong is the real market from what Ive read....I basically need to know if they do have those features or not and if not can I really upgrade them to 2.2 and install the real market. I basically want a tablet that either comes with or that I cna do myself: android 2.2 with real market and whether or not having 800 mgz will be a big deal or not for what my kids would be using it for.

THANKS VERY MUCH