The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

bishop793

Oct 2, 2011
I say anything android 2.2 is fine for simple educational games (flash cards, memory games) IMO

Sent from my A100 using Android Tablet Forum

beeps123

Dec 1, 2011
Hi does anybody have any experience playing moshi monsters on a tablet?

My understanding is you need andriod 2.2 or higher to play flash games but does that mean it will play Moshi monsters website?

My sister is looking to buy a 7 - 8 inch tablet for her daughter for no more than £100 pounds. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

nhwestra

Nov 3, 2011
the cheapo tablets dont have the real market app on them. u can surf with the browser to the market but that is a pain...especially for your 5 yr old. For @ $100 consider the OS. ainol has a tablet that has 3.2 installed. That is among the latest versions of Android u can get for that price range. Dont take my word for it...shop around.....but i will tel ya this...google "sitename" & "reviews" before buying. for a first timer..probably best to avoid dhgate,aliexpress,dino and lightinthebox.
good luck.

jdemarie

Dec 3, 2011
I video chat on a Toshiba Thrive with both my son on an iPad and my daughter on a Samsung Galaxy Tab using Fring.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Tablet Forum

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hello to ScarySpice, jdemarie and sweeties, welcome to the board! Glad you could join us, can you specify what size tablet you're looking for or what your budget range is? If you can let us know those two things and maybe what you're looking for it to do for you, like play videos, whether or not you need HDMI capabilities etc. that will help people point you in the right direction. :)

Glad you like your Thrive jdemarie, I was looking at the thrive myself, really sweet device. :D

alejo1519

Dec 5, 2011
i saw this on an ad and ive been looking for a netbook....now my Q is....will this work for printing since the main reason i want it is because i print alot of stuff...especially coupons. my husband has a notebook from work which we had to download the printer software to it in order for me to b able to print from there too....i dont want to spend alot...and i saw this one for $99 and thats good in my book....what do you think or recommend....would i be better with a diff brand or type of netbook...thanks

Hawkes

Nov 29, 2011
So far this thread has been very helpful so thanks to everyone for their input and advice.

I was wondering if there are any strong opinions either way on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 refurb that Woot had last week versus the Lenovo IdeaPad K1 NIB at Office Depot for about the same price. I read some reviews last night and I could find an equal number of pros and cons either way. Since this is for my daughter, I have to stop thinking about what I'd want and focus on what would be important to her. What would be important to her is the camera/video quality, battery life, and game playability. I think in the end, the IdeaPad edges out the Samsung, but I'd rather hear from someone that may have used both before or has had their hands on one for longer than just a review.

Thanks again.

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
I believe either one will work fine for your daughter. That said, the Samsung Galaxy has been around a while, while the Lenovo's are fairly new. From a hardware perspective, the two tablets will be identical, with pretty much identical software as well. What would give the Samsung Galaxy the edge though, is because it is more popular, it will be easier to find accessories for it. And support (online through forums like this, or through mods) will be easier to find. Also since Samsung is much "deeper" into Android (with their smartphones as well), you can expect the eventual software upgrades such as upgrades to Ice Cream Sandwich will most likely come a lot soon from Samsung than from Lenovo. The Lenovo does looks like it comes with a lot more preloaded apps (although most of those apps are easily obtainable for free from the Android Market anyways).

Rockstar50

Dec 5, 2011
Hi im looking to buy a android tablet under200 i want it bigger than 7 in and new features including front cam and multitouch and android market im a 13 year old girl and i want one that will help me in school as well.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hi Rockstar50,

I would think about the Coby MID8127 It's an 8" screen and you can get it for just about two bills, but if you want to go with an even larger screen the MID1024 is just over two bills on Amazon with a 10" screen. If you can go twenty over and still are thinking 10" screen the MID1125 is what I would and will be getting for my family. The Coby's are economical and seems to be well supported. Most of these devices can have android market on it with a bit of work, or you can do the amazon app store. BUt definitely do some research and confirm that the market CAN be put on the device you want. One thing I would do for sure is make sure it has a capacitive touchscreen and not resistive. The resistive screens are cheaper but I haven't heard good things about durability. Welcome to the board! Glad you joined us. :D

hsalomon82

Dec 5, 2011
Hi!

I'm about to buy my first tablet, but i'm still struggling deciding what should I buy, I'm planning to use it for fun, gaming, search the web, social apps, skype... this is what I want:

10.1 inch display
Front and rear camera
Wifi + unlocked 3G/4G
32 GB
micro SD slot
HDMI port
Usb port
multitasking
Price range: $400-$500

Thank you all for the help!

bye!

Hawkes

Nov 29, 2011
I believe either one will work fine for your daughter. That said, the Samsung Galaxy has been around a while, while the Lenovo's are fairly new. From a hardware perspective, the two tablets will be identical, with pretty much identical software as well. What would give the Samsung Galaxy the edge though, is because it is more popular, it will be easier to find accessories for it. And support (online through forums like this, or through mods) will be easier to find. Also since Samsung is much "deeper" into Android (with their smartphones as well), you can expect the eventual software upgrades such as upgrades to Ice Cream Sandwich will most likely come a lot soon from Samsung than from Lenovo. The Lenovo does looks like it comes with a lot more preloaded apps (although most of those apps are easily obtainable for free from the Android Market anyways).

OK, things just got more interesting with Best Buy putting the Asus Transformer up for $300. Thoughts now?

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
OK, things just got more interesting with Best Buy putting the Asus Transformer up for $300. Thoughts now?
ou

If you're considering between a brand new Asus Transformer and a refurbished Samsung Galaxy, I would go with the Transformer. I got the Transformer on the Best Buy BF sale, so I got the same item for $50 less. I really like the Transformer. I also like the accessory keyboard that almost doubles the battery life and gives you a hardware keyboard that makes the tablet into basically a netbook. If your daughter will be using the tablet in class (for taking notes), it will be a lot easier typing notes using a real keyboard rather than a virtual keyboard. The accessory keyboard does make the tablet twice as thick and twice as heavy as well, but it is still smaller and lighter than your typical notebook computer.